bmc 1.8 injector pump

Featured Posts

Hi guys, have problems with engine smoking on tick over, nothing when in gear and moving. Old problem been trying to sort for some time with help on here to no avail, suggestion that I try advancing the pump, Problem one bolt looks impossabe to get onto how have folk managed, is there a special spanner to purchase, or do you 'reshape' one if so how. Many thanks.

Not tried it but I would have thought a 3/8 drive socket on a long extension, possibly a "wobbly" end on the extension or a universal joint.

As most of the engine is eh same as a 1.5s design I would suggest that you may be flogging a dead horse trying to get the smoke totally gone. It could cost you lots of money for little return. If you can get the nut undone very small  alternations on the pump may help so its worth a try. Mark the pump flange or note the psition of teh scribed line relatve to the pointer so you know where to set it back to if you make it worse.

24 minutes ago, oats said:

Thanks Tony, there is not enough room to get a socket onto the bolt, had looked at that. Will keep trying cut down spanners. Cheers

I just recently came across a spanner in my toolbox that has a ground-down jaw on one side plus a really odd-angled offset crank to that end. I recall making the mods but I can't for the life of me remember which car, nor what it was for. I guess if I ever have to work on one again I'll remember why I made it ;)

I have a large socket, maybe 1.5"? , together with a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, that I bought to take off mini flywheels, in with my tools. I haven't owned a mini now for at least 33 years. Perhaps I could arrange to have it buried with me (when I go!).

On 18/04/2017 at 16:05, oats said:

Thanks Tony, there is not enough room to get a socket onto the bolt, had looked at that. Will keep trying cut down spanners. Cheers

For the bottom bolt I fear you will have to remove the starter motor.

Some kind soul on mine has left the nut loose.

I was only able to rotate mine a little, and by rotating anticlockwise the engine gained some revs but otherwise sounded the same.

Perhaps someone can say which direction advances and which retards?

• 1 month later...

I managed mine with a slimmed down 13mm open ended spanner.  Worked well in reducing smoke.  You need to move it in the opposite direction to its rotation, which is in the same direction as the engine rotation.

Thanks for the replies. Finally got it fixed took it to the well known company that deals with the BMC, first was told my engine was on its last legs as its done 4440 hours, my problem was due to worn timming gearing and its best to remove the engine so while its out might as well do a refurb I was not prepared to accept that 'right or wrong' of me I know. Final outcome engineer moved the injector hey ho NO more smoke also now sounds great. To loosen the said bolt a was asking about, the top one, he used a screwdriver and a hammer to knock it round. Why didn't I think of that? 

Thanks again for the advice,

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 16:30, WotEver said:

I just recently came across a spanner in my toolbox that has a ground-down jaw on one side plus a really odd-angled offset crank to that end. I recall making the mods but I can't for the life of me remember which car, nor what it was for. I guess if I ever have to work on one again I'll remember why I made it ;)

I've got one like that, seem to remember it was for a Sprite / Midget or maybe an MGB

15 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've got one like that, seem to remember it was for a Sprite / Midget or maybe an MGB

I've been pondering it and I'm pretty sure it was for a manifold bolt on a Fiat X1-9...

11 hours ago, oats said:

Thanks for the replies. Finally got it fixed took it to the well known company that deals with the BMC, first was told my engine was on its last legs as its done 4440 hours, my problem was due to worn timming gearing and its best to remove the engine so while its out might as well do a refurb I was not prepared to accept that 'right or wrong' of me I know. Final outcome engineer moved the injector hey ho NO more smoke also now sounds great. To loosen the said bolt a was asking about, the top one, he used a screwdriver and a hammer to knock it round. Why didn't I think of that? 

Thanks again for the advice,

4400 hours is very few to wear out a BMC. It is usually the camshaft that wears out first,  and it's not worth replacing the camshaft alone, as crankshaft,  pistons and bores are usually not far behind . Rebuilds generally don't last as long as original engines. 

Much to my surprise, the Turkish built BMC 1.8 on our last shareboat lasted over 13,000 hours before being given replaced with a Beta.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.