Passing moored widebeams

MtB

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Disappointing lack of technical analysis so far.

So given the higher mass of a widebeam, does the surge of a passing NB affect it as much?

No in my experience it doesn't affect a widebeam to the same extent. A widebeam doesn't roll like a narrowboat. I don't think a larger boat will move backwards and forwards as much either, but I might be wrong about that.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I want to know what happens when they meet themselves coming the other way on some parts of the GU as they seem to think they have a god given right to hog the cut! 

In fact your attitude is typical of those who think they have a god given right.

When we meet each other we carefully go past each other but why can't you stick to the subject?

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Disappointing lack of technical analysis so far.

So given the higher mass of a widebeam, does the surge of a passing NB affect it as much?

Surely the surge would affect is just as much as an NB, as the flow of water is acting against a wider boat ...... effectively bigger push on a bigger boat would give the same surge effect as a smaller push on a smaller (narrow) boat.  That's my thought anyway.

As to rocking effect that must be less as the wider boat will not rock as much as a narrowboat.

1 minute ago, NickF said:

Surely the surge would affect is just as much as an NB, as the flow of water is acting against a wider boat ...... effectively bigger push on a bigger boat would give the same surge effect as a smaller push on a smaller (narrow) boat.  That's my thought anyway.

As to rocking effect that must be less as the wider boat will not rock as much as a narrowboat.

I think the surge is reduced on a widebeam too. A larger mass will require a greater force to move it. 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think the surge is reduced on a widebeam too. A larger mass will require a greater force to move it. 

I accept your experience is greater than mine as I don't have a widebeam. But my point was there is more force on it as it wider so more of the flowing water surge is pushing against it. I was however only guessing.

But as a river moorer, which I think you are,  may be surge effect is less than on a shallow canal.

At least MTB is getting a more technical discussion now so that should make him happy.

Edited by NickF

I've moored on both rivers and canals. The worst surge I ever felt was on the Thames moored in deep water when a big passenger boat went past very fast. I'm not really sure about the surge - I just don't feel it quite as much as I used to on my narrowboat. But perhaps my mooring technique has improved since then!

A small lighter boat is effected by the surge and wake more than a heavier boat.  If your boat is more prone to rock then it's more the weight distribution/design of the boat than if it's narrow or wide. A well moored boat will reduce the effect of the surge.

Edited by Robbo

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I want to know what happens when they meet themselves coming the other way on some parts of the GU as they seem to think they have a god given right to hog the cut! 

Strange, I had always read that it was us historic boat owners that assumed such a god given right!

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Strange, I had always read that it was us historic boat owners that assumed such a god given right!

At least they are the correct craft for the waterway....it seems that just because they fit it a lock then it's assumed they are ok to use...I really hope CRT start charging them double plus some quite soon...

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, blackrose said:

In fact your attitude is typical of those who think they have a god given right.

When we meet each other we carefully go past each other but why can't you stick to the subject?

My point is there is quite a bit of the GU where physically they just couldn't pass each other....and if you think I'm going through the bushes or up on the mud cos your boat isn't suitable for the waterway then maybe I do think I have a right to the channel

• Greenie 2

On 17/04/2017 at 07:47, NickF said:

To expand on my OP, logic suggests to me NickF would be right but I notice when passing widebeams on this narrow canal, they appear visually to be less affected by surge than a narrow boat.

So I wondered what widebeam owners thought and why this would be, if it is indeed the case.