Skylight wanted

bigcol

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I'm making a pigeon box at the monemt. I didn't realise there were such things as waterproof hinges.

These are the ones I used

http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/products/hinges/continuous-hinges open the PDF and go down to C7 

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler
Added scan

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I'm making a pigeon box at the monemt. I didn't realise there were such things as waterproof hinges.

Are you referring to the Mike Jordan design? The hinges aren't waterproof, they're quality stainless steel. However the design is waterproof - any rain entering between the panels and the ridge is carried away in a 'gutter'. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Are you referring to the Mike Jordan design? The hinges aren't waterproof, they're quality stainless steel. However the design is waterproof - any rain entering between the panels and the ridge is carried away in a 'gutter'. 

The ones I quoted are waterproof.

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The ones I quoted are waterproof.

Yes I know. I was asking CC what the comment "I didn't realise there were such things as waterproof hinges." was referring to. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 13:44, Thorfast said:

Properly called a pigeon box rather than a skylight. Might help if you do a Google search for builders.

I would suggest that the wooden construction shown by the OP is a Skylight (not sure where the term "Dog Box has come from!)

However, this is a Pigeon Box (traditionally used to cover the engine air intake) :-

Pigeon Box.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I would suggest that the wooden construction shown by the OP is a Skylight (not sure where the term "Dog Box has come from!)

I've done a bit of research on this recently. It appears that on a wide beam such as Col's they're usually called skylights and they're around 1m x 2m in size. On a narrowboat they're likely to be around half that size and are more usually called dog boxes in that context. They differ from a pigeon box in that they're usually made of wood (although of course a pigeon box can be made of wood) and they're considerably larger. 

I've not come across the etymology for the phrase so can only assume that it's because they look vaguely like a kennel.