Bosch marine alternator

Featured Posts

Hi. 

We have a Bosch marine 140A alternator on our new boat (beta 43) and wondered if anyone has fitted a cool air duct to the back of the alternator. There are long threaded studs at the back of the alternator which look like they could take an air duct. 

Any help greatfully received. 

Rob

That's a serious machine. Number is usually on a sticky label which is obviously painted over. There are things in that picture which say non standard anyway. Give me the stud position dimensions and when I get back to work tuesday I shall try to match something up. 

Edited by Sir Nibble

Thanks so much. 

It came fitted on the engine from Beta last year, new boat. Raining too much here to delve into the engine bay tonight, but I'll be in there in the morning. 

I have a 1M length of 100mm dia flexi duct which I intend to terminate close to the vent on the side of the hull, also a large plastic adapter for the alternator end but it wouldn't look too professional. If there was a purpose made adapter, preferably to 100mm round duct it would look better. 

Thanks

Hi again. 

The diagonal between studs is 150mm

and the pitch between studs is 105mm

as near as I can measure. 

Had another look for model numbers and there's nothing, as far as I can tell  it hadn't been painted after the factory  

cheers

Hope this helps. 

Hi again. 

Im so grateful for your help. 

Just a little confused as to what it looks like as there are 2 different photos in the description, one is a photo the other is a line drawing. If it's the one in the photo (with the round hole) then I think it should be ok. 

Any idea what diameter the hole is? Although I'm sure I can adapt to my 100mm duct ok. 

I can get a courier to collect ok?

where abouts are you?

cheers. 

Rob. 

Hi David. That was another of my Qs but I assume it's down to the fitter (me) to make the necessary "adjustment" to the housing. 

I have to say that the wiring could be tidier on my unit, so it would be a good opportunity to tidy things up. 

Thanks for your contribution. 

Regards 

Rob

23 hours ago, dor said:

Three cheers for Sir Nibble.

How many posters on this forum are so helpful (even though, I know, many are).

Looking at it another way, with the catalogues in front of me and 40 years with my head in this stuff it would be pretty churlish not to wouldn't it.

21 hours ago, Eliza Jane said:

Hi again. 

Just a little confused as to what it looks like as there are 2 different photos in the description, one is a photo the other is a line drawing. If it's the one in the photo (with the round hole) then I think it should be ok. 

Any idea what diameter the hole is? Although I'm sure I can adapt to my 100mm duct ok. 

where abouts are you?

cheers. 

Rob. 

The drawings for these things are generic and rarely complete. There will be a cutaway in the side of the thing for cables, maybe there is an appropriate grommet, I will check. I am on the solent coast. I could probably get it delivered direct to you for eight squids.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Looking at it another way, with the catalogues in front of me and 40 years with my head in this stuff it would be pretty churlish not to wouldn't it.

The drawings for these things are generic and rarely complete. There will be a cutaway in the side of the thing for cables, maybe there is an appropriate grommet, I will check. I am on the solent coast. I could probably get it delivered direct to you for eight squids.

Snibs, you are really quite the Hamsters Testes.

You Rule.

Hi. Sorry this seems to have gone into my previous reply?

my email is rob (at) robpendleton -dot-co-dot-uk

as we are talking addresses and payments can we use email?

Hi again. 

where abouts are you?

cheers. 

Rob. 

On 18/04/2017 at 18:03, Sir Nibble said:

Part you require is Bosch 1125 500 023 HERE. Price ex VAT is about £35 retail, I can get it for around £16, but then there's getting it to you.

Perhaps a silly question, but does fitting a duct of this sort really help much with the longevity of the alternator?

I would say possibly if you have also ducted the engine intake so  it never draws cool air into the engine bay. I am tempted to add "and you have knackered batteries".

The most I would do is to try to insure the air inlet for the engine bay was near the back of the alternator.

However it is a 140 amp job which is around 2 kW so maybe its a good idea.

Hi. This post is about my alternator. 

Ive been aware of the heat in the engine bay, although not excessively high, as it has vents either side of the hull, it is quite hot and this big alternator can chuck out 150+ A and as a result gets very hot. I'm sure that the cooler it runs the longer it should last. And for a few quid worth doing.   

The other consideration was that the exhaust is the same side as the alternator and as air is drawn in at the back of the alternator air has to pass the exhaust/calorifier first. 

I was also aware of the dust from the drive belts, which after 300 hrs running has necessitated in a new air filter. So I have constructed another duct for the engine intake to draw air from close to the other hull vent. Of course, the cooler the air entering the engine the more efficient the engine is. 

All theory!

13 minutes ago, Eliza Jane said:

Hi. This post is about my alternator. 

Ive been aware of the heat in the engine bay, although not excessively high, as it has vents either side of the hull, it is quite hot and this big alternator can chuck out 150+ A and as a result gets very hot. I'm sure that the cooler it runs the longer it should last. And for a few quid worth doing.   

The other consideration was that the exhaust is the same side as the alternator and as air is drawn in at the back of the alternator air has to pass the exhaust/calorifier first. 

I was also aware of the dust from the drive belts, which after 300 hrs running has necessitated in a new air filter. So I have constructed another duct for the engine intake to draw air from close to the other hull vent. Of course, the cooler the air entering the engine the more efficient the engine is. 

All theory!

Perhaps its worth taking some temperature measurements. You can get ones with LCD displays and remote sensors quite cheaply from sources like eBay.

Is the exhaust lagged?

Perhaps a 'cogged' belt might improve the dust problem?