Engine diagnosis help!!

lawzy

Featured Posts

Hey guys got a problem with my narrowboat. After about an hour of traveling my betamarine engine started squeeling and cut out on me and refuses to start. At first i thought it might be the alt belt squealing but it is fine. Everything else seems fine but i just cant think what it could be. Any help would be appreciated

I most probably havent give enough info but i cant think what u might need to know so ask questions and i will answer asap.

Thank you in advance

Connor

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

First thoughts are, is there anything around the prop?

What he said.  Then try and move the propshaft by hand.

If no go check gearbox and engine oil levels....

Bog! mros thinks/types quicker than me.

The noise comes from the front end of the engine and and is a high pitched squeal. The noise started a few seconds before the engine cut out and squeals even when boat is cranking. The boat was moving. The gearbox moves freely and the prop is clear.

16 minutes ago, boots said:

What do you mean by 'everything else seems fine'? What have you checked?

Ive checked prop and gearbox for movement and all fluids aswell as the alt belt. This is before we set off and after we cut out.

Edited by lawzy

Can you be a bit more informative?  So when you say will not re-start, do you mean it freely spins on the starter motor but will not 'fire' or it does not even turn over on crank.  When you say 'cut-out' I assume you mean stopped.  When you say everything looks fine, do you mean all belts intact?

Without a bit more clarity around your symptoms it is hard to help.

Added - you seem to have answered most of the above as I was typing.

Edited by Chewbacka

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Can you be a bit more informative?  So when you say will not re-start, do you mean it freely spins on the starter motor but will not 'fire' or it does not even turn over on crank.  When you say 'cut-out' I assume you mean stopped.  When you say everything looks fine, do you mean all belts intact?

Without a bit more clarity around your symptoms it is hard to help.

Added - you seem to have answered most of the above as I was typing.

Yes everything is free moving and belt is intact and tensioned. The engine was running fine until the squealing and before i could do anything it just died and left me drifting.

Just thinking randomly, but if the engine will freely turn over on the starter motor without firing, then it sounds like a fuel problem.  if you have water in your diesel - is this the first outing since the winter?? - then water has a very low lubricity and it might be the high pressure pump squealing.  I would check for water in the diesel in the water separator - assuming you have one -  but this is only a guess as I am not very knowledgeable on diesels and you may get a better answer in a few minutes

8 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Just thinking randomly, but if the engine will freely turn over on the starter motor without firing, then it sounds like a fuel problem.  if you have water in your diesel - is this the first outing since the winter?? - then water has a very low lubricity and it might be the high pressure pump squealing.  I would check for water in the diesel in the water separator - assuming you have one -  but this is only a guess as I am not very knowledgeable on diesels and you may get a better answer in a few minutes

Hmmm i did put a 10l jerry can of diesel in before i started this trip 

Would water in the diesel pump make it squeal tho?

Edited by lawzy

Even though the belt looks ok and tensioned, the water pump or alternator may have seized which caused the belt to squeal and the resistance stalled the engine, especially if it has a multi V belt. Beta marine, it probably has a multi V belt or belts.

Edited by bizzard

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Even though the belt looks ok and tensioned, the water pump or alternator may have seized which caused the belt to squeal and the resistance stalled the engine, especially if it has a multi V belt. Beta marine, it probably has a multi V belt or belts.

The belt is a single v belt and the water pump definatly moves but i didnt check the alternator as it didnt accure to me.

I dont know what temperature it was at as i wasmore concerned about getting to the towpath.

8 minutes ago, lawzy said:

Hmmm i did put a 10l jerry can of diesel in before i started this trip 

Would water in the diesel pump make it squeal tho?

I am more knowledgeable on common rail diesel engine fuel pumps (as used on recent car engines) and these will last only a short time if running with a high water content or high petrol content, and they rip themselves to pieces internally.  An older technology pump, like what is on canal boats is much more tolerant of contamination, but if running on a lot of water I would not be surprised if there was some noise.  Did you check the water separator - possibly a filter close to the diesel tank with "wasp" on the side.  It will have a little drain tap underneath.

12 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The belt is a single v belt and the water pump definatly moves but i didnt check the alternator as it didnt accure to me.

I dont know what temperature it was at as i wasmore concerned about getting to the towpath.

Alternator turns aswell

3 minutes ago, lawzy said:

Must be an early Beta to have a single V belt.

Just now, lawzy said:

Alternator turns aswell

In that case try what Bizz suggested. Remove the belts and see if it starts. 

First though, bleed a little fuel - does it have any water in it?

There is no water in the seperator as mine has a clear bowl so i can see.

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Must be an early Beta to have a single V belt.

25year old. 

Just bed water trap and only a tad of water in about 5p size bubble but that could of come from the bottle it was in as i didnt dry it due to rushing to reply

Edited by lawzy

The starter motor didn't suddenly engage while the engine was running for some reason by any chance, like someone fiddling with the starter button or key. If so the starter pinion would very likely remain engaged with the engine spinning the starter motor. In which case the motor would probably squeal and seize up, stalling the engine. 

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The starter motor didn't suddenly engage while the engine was running for some reason by any chance, like someone fiddling with the starter button or key. If so the starter pinion would very likely remain engaged with the engine spinning the starter motor. In which case the motor would probably squeal and seize up, stalling the engine. 

I can't see that being the case as he says it turns over on the key.