After you have done your 20 miles then what?

Jstupot

Featured Posts

Could someone please clear this up for me. You are CCing and you have travelled your 20 miles, then what? I have heard many differing opinions. Can you turn around and go back the other way? Does the not going back to the same mooring within 2 months apply? Can you then move around a bit freely? 

seems there is a bit of a grey area here and nobody knows the correct answer. 

7 minutes ago, Jstupot said:

Could someone please clear this up for me. You are CCing and you have travelled your 20 miles, then what? I have heard many differing opinions. Can you turn around and go back the other way? Does the not going back to the same mooring within 2 months apply? Can you then move around a bit freely? 

seems there is a bit of a grey area here and nobody knows the correct answer. 

That is because there is no correct answer. Statute and bylaws do not seem to have been drafted with the present use of the waterways in mind so CaRT resort to contract terms and conditions and advice.

My understanding is that a judge has said that you must be in the course of a continuous journey so I do not see how 20 miles out, then 20 miles back is a continuous journey. I think the term bona fide navigation may be in the bylaws but 20 miles out then 20 miles back could well appear to be trying to stay in the same general area so may not be held to comply with that term.

That 20 miles is, I think, some guidance CaRT has issued but they also say travelling from point A to point B and return in not likely to satisfy them. They also advise that registering as a CCer is unlikely to be compatible having a job or a school place at a fixed location. However there are a few parts of the system where a large ring of canals may make it possible.

CaRT keep issuing guidance, some of which seems to be different each time but the bottom line is that it is up to you to "satisfy the Board"  that you are on a continuous journey and undertaking bona fide navigation if they ask you to.

• Greenie 1

Whilst I agree with the later sentiments lets be charitable. The OP may be new to boating, has been talking to other boaters and has not properly understood what he was told OR has been give deliberately poor advice - e.g from some NBTA members.

Still until CaRT get suitable bylaws this will keep on popping up.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do them again, I suggest...

In the same direction - that is not turn back.

The phrase 

"'you ve done your twenty miles ..... " Good grief what a daft comment . Should get some sort of prize i think . 

After youve completed your obligatory twenty as you seem to consider them you get a little certificate for your window .When u do another twenty you get another one . Bit like Lancaster bombers had a little bomb  symbol put on the fuselage to indicate the number of completed sorties during WW2 . 

None of this is true . I m taking the piss 

a bit like you probably

Edited by chubby

5 minutes ago, chubby said:

The phrase 

"'you ve done your twenty miles ..... " Good grief what a daft comment . Should get some sort of prize i think . 

After youve completed your obligatory twenty as you seem to consider them you get a little certificate for your window .When u do another twenty you get another one . Bit like Lancaster bombers had a little bomb  symbol put on the fuselage to indicate the number of completed sorties during WW2 . 

a bit like you probably

I like that idea.

Not sure we have enough window space to display them all though!

18 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Why would a continuous cruiser want to go back and forth over the same scenery?

Surely that would be continuous dithering.

since 20 miles is just over my normal 1st days cruising when I go out I would suggest that you carry on and explore a little bit.

looking back over my previous trips we average around 16 miles per day.

19 minutes ago, chubby said:

The phrase 

a bit like you probably

But would you get two stickers if you turned around after 20 miles and went back to where you started?  :P

There are many interpretations as you have already seen by the various replies. I think when the legislation was brought in which I think was quite recently around 94 ish in its present state it wasnt envisaged that the question would ever arise. I remember when I bought my first liveaboard in 89 quite clearly being told a max of 14 days in one place. As I see it if you are living/working in one area then you need a mooring and if you are a free agent then you simply keep going. I recently because of a similar thread looked in an old diary and in our first year we did many canals both north and south over the months to include Yorkshire and the K and A. Quite clearly doing twenty miles ( one days cruising ) and going back is not bone fide navigating its bone fide piss taking.

Edited by mrsmelly

On 14/04/2017 at 18:52, Jstupot said:

Thank you Tony Brooks, the rest can go do one you are condescending and up yourselves. 

No need to get abusive. 

I'm a CCer and I think I've done about 20 miles this week so far. Including CMing for five days. Could you explain where you got the 'done my 20 miles' concept from please? I'm very curious. Is it in a CRT publication? Or where?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Jstupot said:

Thank you Tony Brooks, the rest can go do one you are condescending and up yourselves. 

I find that a tad unfair. There is no legislation mentioning anything re twenty miles so we all I suppose presume you personaly think its ok to move twenty miles and then as you say what next? The answer as I said on my previous post is not straightforward and a fair answer is probably the next twenty miles and so on and so on. If you want to reside in one small area then to comply with the legislation you need a mooring it realy is that simple.

I'm probably misremembering this but didn't someone from CRT say relatively recently that a range of 20 miles over the course of a licence period would be the absolute minimum to 'Satisfy The Board'?  

2 minutes ago, tomsk said:

I'm probably misremembering this but didn't someone from CRT say relatively recently that a range of 20 miles over the course of a licence period would be the absolute minimum to 'Satisfy The Board'?  

I hadnt heard it? and CART have no such authority to say such a thing they are tied as are boaters by legislation.