Fertan or Rust-oleum

Featured Posts

I thought that Rustoleum was simply a metal primer with some anti-rust properties. Does it claim to also be a rust converter?

Fertran is a rust converter and I don't believe it has any priming properties. So it's effectively the opposite to Rustoleum as I understand it. 

Vactan does the job of both of the above - it converts the rust plus leaves a primed surface. 

I've also had some success with Owatrol which works well by creeping into tiny crevices and preventing moisture ingress. It should be over-painted though.

My preference is for Vactan, but that doesn't make me right :)

Of the above, I've only let used Vactan or years ago Kurust.

However it seems to be the easiest to use in terms of sinking well into the rust, giving the appearance it's converting it, and providing a stable base for paint to key on which also works as a holding primer, without needing rinsing off.

But online from Paco or via eBay.

Daniel

2 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Of the above, I've only let used Vactan or years ago Kurust.

However it seems to be the easiest to use in terms of sinking well into the rust, giving the appearance it's converting it, and providing a stable base for paint to key on which also works as a holding primer, without needing rinsing off.

But online from Paco or via eBay.

Daniel

My problem with Kurust is that as soon as you've used it you have to introduce the one thing that you should keep away from bare steel - water. That's why I love Vactan so much, paint it on, let it dry, apply top coat. 

I've had some decent results with Vactan. However, in my opinion rust converters should only be used in areas where you really can't get rid of the last remnants of rust by any other means. If you can get an angle grinder/wire wheel in there and get it back to clean steel then that's much better than Vactan.