Moving boat from Droitwich Spa to Alvechurch

Circle of Peace

Featured Posts

I am buying a boat at Droitwich Spa and need to move it to Alvechurch so that it can be craned and continue its journey to its new home :)

I am a novice and can't manage to take it through the flight of locks my myself :(

Can anyone help?

Edited by Circle of Peace
grammar

You would be far better to get the boat hauled out at Droitwich Spa itself if you are getting it trailered somewhere anyway. I am sure the haul out fee would be less than £300. If you find out when New and Used are craning new boat in, you may even be able to share the craning fee and arrange you haulier to be there that day.

Otherwise,  why not cruise it the whole way to its new home ?? 

When possible it's usually best to move a newly bought boat to its new home yourself, with help from friends, family or one or more people off the forum. I've crewed (as an amateur, for meals only) for several people doing that sort of long trip, and it's a fun adventure and the owner gets to know their boat. However, if the new home of your boat is to be your stated location of Ely, that's quite a long trip via the GU, Nene and Middle Levels, and you may well not have the time to do it, or the money to employ a professional boat mover that long.

So then if you are settled on the road transport option, it would make sense to look into getting the boat craned out without having to do a long flight of locks first. I don't know whether there are local volunteers who regularly turn out to help boaters through Tardebigge.

7 hours ago, Peter X said:
7 hours ago, Peter X said:

I've crewed (as an amateur, for meals only) for several people doing that sort of long trip

Droitwich to Alvechurch isn't a long trip, at most it is a day's boating.

Rob-M, I knew that. When I wrote "that sort of long trip", it may not have been entirely clear that I was referring to my previous sentence, i.e. the possibility that the OP might wish to do the whole move "to its new home" by water, not just the bit to Alvechurch. This is something I would only advise the OP to do if she has the time and the crew.

To the OP: It's good that you appear to understand that as a novice it's biting off too much at one go to begin by attempting a long series of locks single handed. Please respond on here to what's been said so far; like many people posting on this site for the first time, you may not have known that it's a busy site, answers come quickly. If you can't find the time (e.g. allow two weeks if going to Ely) and crew to do your whole trip by water, and if craning out at Droitwich is not feasible, please say when you want to move the boat to Alvechurch and someone will probably offer to help.

• 2 weeks later...