Low Wattage Kettle in Aldi

D. W. Walker

Featured Posts

i,ve got a 4 cup stainless steel teapot with heavy base. I put 2 mugs of water in, place it on the gas cooker small burner. By the time i,ve put the milk n sugar in the mugs, opened the chocolate digestives, dropped two yorkshhire teabags in the kettly teapot, do the hokey cokey, the water,s boiling and tea,s mashed in about 2.5 minutes. Why would i use an electric kettle?

1 hour ago, Irob said:

i,ve got a 4 cup stainless steel teapot with heavy base. I put 2 mugs of water in, place it on the gas cooker small burner. By the time i,ve put the milk n sugar in the mugs, opened the chocolate digestives, dropped two yorkshhire teabags in the kettly teapot, do the hokey cokey, the water,s boiling and tea,s mashed in about 2.5 minutes. Why would i use an electric kettle?

The leccy kettle would allow you time to turn around after the Hokey Cokey?

On 14/04/2017 at 12:12, WotEver said:

I've seen them put it in. They use great big fans. 

but you didn't see it going in, so you are making an assumption.   just as Bizz is making an assumption about the invisible gap.

On 14/04/2017 at 09:08, WotEver said:

A low powered kettle will actually use slightly more Ah than a higher-powered one because the losses (heating the air) will be greater. Think of trying to boil a kettle with a candle - it would never get there. 

physics PEDANT ALERT!!  :judge:

of course you will need less kWH to boil a kettle in Devizes than in Bath.  B)

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

but you didn't see it going in, so you are making an assumption.   just as Bizz is making an assumption about the invisible gap.

This is of course true. The fan was whizzing round and round while the balloon got fatter and fatter and I made an Ass out of U and Me by linking the two observable phenomenon. 

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

And fewer still in the Sahara at midday in June. 

18 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

physics PEDANT ALERT!!  :judge:

And even less to boil a kettle on the top of Mount Everest.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But it makes a rubbish cup of tea (or so I'm told, I don't drink tea. Nor climb mountains). 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup - that's what making Tea at 71 °C  (Boiling Point at 29,000 feet) will do for you.

I mistakenly assumed that India, where most of our tea comes from, would be able to provide me with a decent cuppa.

Typical tea service in a hotel - a jug full of hot water is brought to your table (after sitting on the servery counter for 5 minutes) accompanied by a cup containing a tea bag taking a cold milk bath.

Yukk!  Only bettered by KLM Business Class serving coffee poured into your thick Dutch porcelain cup that has been sitting on a half-made-up breakfast tray in the chilled storage compartment of the galley - coffee lukewarm and swallowed in one sickly gulp.  I used to ask for a coffee from economy class for this very reason and, amazingly, the stewardess usually understood why. 

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the winter we dont use a kettle at all. With the stove lit we direct the blast furnace heat generated by the eco fan directly at the teapot and within seconds the water is heated and tea brewed.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In the winter we dont use a kettle at all. With the stove lit we direct the blast furnace heat generated by the eco fan directly at the teapot and within seconds the water is heated and tea brewed.

They're dangerous, those fans.

The Trench are not very accomplished at making tea. A mixed bunch of twelve of us on a day trip cycling from Calais to Bologne stopped at a wayside cafe for afternoon tea. We ordered tea, rolls and a slab of garlic cheese by drawing pictures on bits of paper.  The tea making equipment arrived on a tray transported by a waiter doing ''The goose step'' like John Clees.  Ah! a German, we thought. He proceeded to pour hot water into all our cups, and then, no word of a lie produced one tea bag on a string and went around ceremoniously dipping it, in and out of each cup, no milk or sugar either. It was awful. On closer observation we decided he only had flat feet and was French.  On reaching Bologne one of us, on observing a bloke in a van 'selling pancakes-Crepes', fancied one, so he went up trying to pronounce Crepe in the proper French manner. Suddenly the vendor bellowed out ''Wodga want mate, a pancake or wot. Turned out he was from Bethnall Green.

On 15/04/2017 at 19:26, WotEver said:

The leccy kettle would allow you time to turn around after the Hokey Cokey?

I only turn around doing the hokey cokey cos i,m looking for the blessed teaspoon !

On 15/04/2017 at 21:27, Pykebird said:

I saw these, but my small travel kettle is only 700w and is great when on the move. I know when its boiled as the engine tone changes and its quicker than the gas.

Exactly what I do. The gas kettle earns it's keep when the engine's off (unless we're on shore supply). My inverter is up to the job, but I don't like to squeeze my batteries that hard.