Beta BV1505 fuel leak help please

Featured Posts

Hello all

My boat has a 1996 Beta BV 1505 38hp engine with 4350 hrs on the clock. In the 4 years I have had the boat I have had to replace two engine mountings under the fuel intake area (front starboard) due to damage from diesel leaks. I think much of this is down to poor maintenance and excessive vibration in the past, but I really need to nail this for obvious reasons. I am currently covering yet another new mount with puppy pads on a regular basis! 

The throttle cable/rod leads to the assembly similar to this in the picture which i have borrowed from another article elsewhere.  After gunking and cleaning the assembly, I still find a slight but consistent drip at a low point deep inside the external assembly underneath. There is also a miniscule amount of weeping at the top of what I would describe as the manifold held on with four bolts. 

A trial and error approach worries me as an expensive and time consuming option. Should I bite the bullet, and get an engineer to replace the entire assembly? I am at my wits end on this as a 3 week trip approaches soon. I am in the Nantwich area. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Beta_idle (1).png

Edited by Hartlebury lad

I do not understand exactly where you describe but the most likely location for a fuel leak is where a shaft or bolt passes through the casing or where there is a joint. A cracked/porous casing is far less likely but not impossible so you need to locate the leak with some precision.

In your shoes my first action would be to ensure that the throttle and stop cables are not adjusted so they are forcing the respective levers against their stops, especially the idle stop. this has caused leaks on DPA pumps by forcing the lever spindle to one side against the O ring.

Next I would re-clean and dry the area and then dust it with talcum powder before running the engine. Visual inspection should then identify the leak by a darkening of the talc. Once we know that we can advise.

I think I would suspect the speed lever - that nut at the top probably holds it onto a shaft and there is probably some sort of O ring in there to seal it. Personally I never like to fiddle with fuel pumps just in case something untoward happens. Could be an idea to e mail that picture off to Beta for an opinion and they might be able to advise and sell you a repair kit and tell you its safe to take the thing apart - or not!.

For the time being, perhaps a little dish placed under it to catch the drips and protect the mounting. Something like a tobacco tin with perhaps a hole in the bottom to mount it onto the mounting stud sticking up and  held to it with a spare nut sealed with goo.

Cheers chaps. I will get onto it asap. More cleaning, talc, time and a Torch! In the meantime I will email Beta and see what they say, although Good Friday is  bad day to do that given my time constraints! I will also try to fashion a temporary tray to catch the fuel - especially when I run out of our cocker spaniels' old puppy pads! In the meantime, any more input is appreciated, especially if someone has contact details of an engineer around Nantwich with at least half the know how that Tony has got! I will also post more when I make progress.