Thames live aboards.

Trailerman

Featured Posts

Being the first time I have looked in this thread the post order seems all over the place. Initally I thought MtB's post must have been deleted as it seemed to be referenced and quoted but didn't appear until post number ??? which was much later in the thread.

Edited by Rob-M

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

Is it just me or is CWDF in a time warp? 

11 hours ago Rusty 69 replied to a post made by MtB 9 hours ago.

perhaps some nerdy geek can explain how we can get in on the time machine act.

It happens, and not just here. I get email replies that appear before I have sent the original out. Metadata and metaphysics getting together and ganging up on us...

If I was you I'd bung the boat on a lorry, take it across the channel to Valenciennes marina where they are cheap as chips and need more boats, get yourself a French licence - cheap as chips again and wave goodbye to the overcrowded and overpriced UK.

If I was you I'd bung the boat on a lorry, take it across the channel to Valenciennes marina where they are cheap as chips and need more boats, get yourself a French licence - cheap as chips again and wave goodbye to the overcrowded and overpriced UK.

The time on the server got out of sync and was incorrect. I corrected this last night but as the order posts depend on this, it jumbled things up somewhat. Should no longer be an issue going forward. 

Cheers 

Another thing is where do these static boats get rid of their sewage? Oh dear, yes, we must be drinking it formaldehyde and  all.

Please note that I am not in any way criticising the genuine CCers who do have consideration for other people.

Oh yes, and what's that strange smell downwind of some of these boats? Smells a bit like a bonfire burning something odd. Oh yes, I know.   :)

Come on EA something needs to be done and done now and not by making it awkward for genuine cruisers by booking the moorings. New byelaws need to be written and enforced. Fines levied and if not paid these scruffy eyesores that plague our river (no, sorry your river as I am now off it and miles away) need to be removed and crushed.  

1 hour ago, Trailerman said:

Another thing is where do these static boats get rid of their sewage? Oh dear, yes, we must be drinking it formaldehyde and  all.

Please note that I am not in any way criticising the genuine CCers who do have consideration for other people.

Oh yes, and what's that strange smell downwind of some of these boats? Smells a bit like a bonfire burning something odd. Oh yes, I know.   :)

Come on EA something needs to be done and done now and not by making it awkward for genuine cruisers by booking the moorings. New byelaws need to be written and enforced. Fines levied and if not paid these scruffy eyesores that plague our river (no, sorry your river as I am now off it and miles away) need to be removed and crushed.  

EA has no responsibility for who moors where and what they do - that is other than on their own moorings - which are few. The responsibility - if any lies with the 'riparian owners'. For 'unauthorised discharges' - you have to catch them at it, difficult / impossible if its at dead of night.

Creating bylaws is difficult and very expensive, would probably need an Act of Parliament.

Government cutbacks mean that EA have the square root of -1 to spend on such actions. Up to now user have respected the River and take care not to pollute. No longer - it's somewhere  to live inexpensively and no more.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given his username, could be anywhere! 

Yes, you are right Boilerman, the boat came out of the Thames last August and I am definitely "anywhere". At least where I am people who ponce on the system are encouraged to "go forth and fornicate". I am happy now with my new moorings and when I leave the boat for a couple of pints I know it is relatively safe.

What finally pushed me was when I met a boatload of really lovely people on a holiday boat who had unwittingly moored amongst a load of river pikeys and their boat was ransacked when they went out for a meal.

Enough said? 

6 hours ago, Trailerman said:

6 hours ago, Trailerman said:

Oh yes, and what's that strange smell -

Well as you don't appear to be able to provide any specific detail and just mention the 'Thames', I could  make a guess.

Edited by rowland al

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

EA has no responsibility for who moors where and what they do - that is other than on their own moorings - which are few. The responsibility - if any lies with the 'riparian owners'. For 'unauthorised discharges' - you have to catch them at it, difficult / impossible if its at dead of night.

Creating bylaws is difficult and very expensive, would probably need an Act of Parliament.

Government cutbacks mean that EA have the square root of -1 to spend on such actions. Up to now user have respected the River and take care not to pollute. No longer - it's somewhere  to live inexpensively and no more.

The EA already has the full authority of an Act of Parliament (The Thames Conservancy Act 1932) to create byelaws for all aspects of its responsibilities on the Thames.  it only needs to advertise proposed byelaws, consult, then obtain the Secretary of State's approval for the new or revised byelaws. The existing 1993 byelaws cover only navigation rules and these are rarely enforced as there is no financial benefit to the EA as they have to fund prosecutions but any fines imposed go not to the EA budget but into central government funds.

But the EA does have a statutory responsibility under the Environment Act 1995 by which it was established to ensure that the waters (and land in connection with those waters) for which it is responsible are put to the best use for recreational purposes. 

In the 20-years since it was first entrusted with the management of the Thames and other navigations the EA has failed miserably in using its existing powers effectively and in seeking appropriate additional powers to manage issues such as long-term mooring.  Their one pathetic effort, the EA (Inland Waterways Order) 2010 took them 6-years to obtain, covered revenue-raising registration issues only and cost them nearly £1 million not to mention a number of expensive court cases in more recent years.

And as for their latest piece of nonsense - the privately run Thames Visitor Moorings scheme, which for the most part has no basis in law but will impose unnecessarily on genuine visitors by making them register arrival on-line or by phone each and every time they moor temporarily.   Well! 

4 hours ago, Trailerman said:

Yes, you are right Boilerman, the boat came out of the Thames last August and I am definitely "anywhere". At least where I am people who ponce on the system are encouraged to "go forth and fornicate". I am happy now with my new moorings and when I leave the boat for a couple of pints I know it is relatively safe.

What finally pushed me was when I met a boatload of really lovely people on a holiday boat who had unwittingly moored amongst a load of river pikeys and their boat was ransacked when they went out for a meal.

Enough said? 

what are you on?

............ anyway, what do I care?  I am a trailer-boater these days and the Thames is my favourite cruising ground; so I'm glad we won't be meeting any time soon.

4 hours ago, Trailerman said:

Enough said? 

There are far more thieving scumbags that live in houses than live on boats.

33 minutes ago, erivers said:

The EA already has the full authority of an Act of Parliament (The Thames Conservancy Act 1932) to create byelaws for all aspects of its responsibilities on the Thames.  it only needs to advertise proposed byelaws, consult, then obtain the Secretary of State's approval for the new or revised byelaws. The existing 1993 byelaws cover only navigation rules and these are rarely enforced as there is no financial benefit to the EA as they have to fund prosecutions but any fines imposed go not to the EA budget but into central government funds.

But the EA does have a statutory responsibility under the Environment Act 1995 by which it was established to ensure that the waters (and land in connection with those waters) for which it is responsible are put to the best use for recreational purposes. 

In the 20-years since it was first entrusted with the management of the Thames and other navigations the EA has failed miserably in using its existing powers effectively and in seeking appropriate additional powers to manage issues such as long-term mooring.  Their one pathetic effort, the EA (Inland Waterways Order) 2010 took them 6-years to obtain, covered revenue-raising registration issues only and cost them nearly £1 million not to mention a number of expensive court cases in more recent years.

And as for their latest piece of nonsense - the privately run Thames Visitor Moorings scheme, which for the most part has no basis in law but will impose unnecessarily on genuine visitors by making them register arrival on-line or by phone each and every time they moor temporarily.   Well! 

What would happen if you do not possess a phone or have internet, how would they register, there must still be some folk in this category.

46 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

What would happen if you do not possess a phone or have internet, how would they register, there must still be some folk in this category.

According to the fanciful nonsense on the Thames Visitor Moorings site, if you fail to register on-line or by phone within 15 minutes of arrival it will be assumed that you have been moored for 24-hours and thus subject to charges. Of course, if you then fail to pay the charge using the computer or phone that you don't have, you will then be subject to £100 penalty. 

Edited by erivers
typo

2 hours ago, erivers said:

Thank you for that erivers. Basically these selfish scruffy freeloaders have ruined the easy going free life we all had on the Thames and now have had us tied us all up in knots. So if I want to stop at say Reading to refuel my boat and do a bit of shopping I am landed with a whopping fee just for an hour or so. If I want to stop at Oxford for a couple of hours (not that I ever would at those two locations now) I have to mess around with my damned laptop to tell EA that I am there.

No problem for me anymore, where my boat is now we have none of these problems and I am back to free and easy boating.  

On 14/04/2017 at 23:25, Trailerman said:

Thank you for that erivers. Basically these selfish scruffy freeloaders have ruined the easy going free life we all had on the Thames and now have had us tied us all up in knots. So if I want to stop at say Reading to refuel my boat and do a bit of shopping I am landed with a whopping fee just for an hour or so. If I want to stop at Oxford for a couple of hours (not that I ever would at those two locations now) I have to mess around with my damned laptop to tell EA that I am there.

No problem for me anymore, where my boat is now we have none of these problems and I am back to free and easy boating.  

You do make me smile. So bitter, and so unnecessary!!!

Has the EA stopped you fecking it up for the rest of us, perhaps? I'm beginning to wonder.

Oh and BTW, does the name "Chris Pink" mean anything to you?

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, Trailerman said:

So we are talking about Reading and Oxford then (as opposed to the whole of the Thames)?

Any other specific places? 

Having done the Upper Thames recently and the 'Lower' Thames not that long ago I didn't come across the bleak picture you portray, not to say things may have dramatically changed in the last year.

What worries me is how these local issues might cause the EA and CRT to roll out further restrictions on all boaters nationwide. Big towns and cities will always be popular, so there will always be more pressure trying to keep all the different type of boaters happy.

What isn't very helpful though,  is painting a bleak picture which encompasses areas where there isn't a problem.

BTW, who is Chris Pink?