Fitting a 12 V light

Featured Posts

I'm fairly new to boating and would like to fit two 12 volt lights in my bedroom area , is this a difficult and complicated task better left to a professional? I'm keen to learn to be self sufficient and if possible would like to do it myself. Would anybody recommend how to do this or a website link that gives advice on how to do this

The most difficult thing will be where to pick up the 12V pos and neg feeds and neatly running the cable. Although you should check the cable sizes if you fit an LED light I feel you can ignore this. If you get a lamp with a built in switch then it is far easier than fitting one with a remote switch.

If you have other lights nearby they could provide a suitable point to pick up the pos & neg at the back, but NOT if they have remote switches.

Remember the BSS specifies the maximum cable support dimensions but as I always better this and use about 4" I can not remember what it says - possibly 150mm, but someone will be along to confirm this or tell me I am wrong.

PS Thin cable like bell wire is NOT suitable.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Just now, Ayesha walker said:

Thanks Tony , I do have other lights nearby but they are ceiling lights so don't have a remote switch,  there are no other lights nearby but have a built in switch. The two lamps I am looking to fit both have built in switches. 

are the ceiling lights the old style filament bulbs or led?

If filament then I would run the new lights from one of these but ensure the old gets replaced with led bulbs and the new are also led bulbs

Just now, WotEver said:

Do you understand a basic electrical circuit? Battery to switch to light to battery? No i must admit I don't ,  i'm a real beginner 

Thanks Tony , I do have other lights nearby but they are ceiling lights so don't have a remote switch,  there are no other lights nearby but have a built in switch. The two lamps I am looking to fit both have built in switches. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Do you understand a basic electrical circuit? Battery to switch to light to battery?

In answer to whether I know about a basic   Electrical circuit I must admit I don't I'm a real beginner 

In answer to whether I know about a basic   Electrical circuit I must admit I don't I'm a real beginner 

A bit of research first then;

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/electrical-circuit-basics.html

although you won't have to go far to find a nearby boater who can explain the basics. 

Just now, Dave Payne said:

are the ceiling lights the old style filament bulbs or led?

If filament then I would run the new lights from one of these but ensure the old gets replaced with led bulbs and the new are also led bulbs

There is one of each in the bedroom area old style filament plus 1LED both of these are inserted into the ceiling area

Just now, hounddog said:

although you won't have to go far to find a nearby boater who can explain the basics. 

Just now, hounddog said:

Thanks so much that's excellent advice!  Take a look at that link in depth

I did read that article and apart from the first paragraph (which is almost all you ever need to know ;-) it's a bit number rich which is over the top for wiring a few lights. 

It's true that you don't go far before needing a bit of techie knowledge but the basics is more practical than theoretical.

This one seems a bit better

http://www.boats.com/resources/12-volt-basics-for-boaters

and I found this too,  which is nothing if not comprehensive - skip read it but you'll want to know a bit about batteries eventually

http://static.cyca.com.au/media/1930958/rob-starkey-presentation-652014.pdf

and Tony Brooks has a website with useful info and I'm glad to report he's more authoritative on electrics than rowing boats. 

and this is step by step what you're trying to do;

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/electrical/basic-12-volt-wiring-how-to-install-a-led-light-fixture/

Edited by hounddog

Are they in the centre of the roof, on a bit of board that comes down to reveal the wiring?

They are inserted into the lining of the roof not on any kind of board that comes down to reveal the wiring, so we would need to cut into the roof to find the wiring or pull out one of the small round ceiling lights to reveal the wiring behind it.

Just now, hounddog said:

I did read that article and apart from the first paragraph (which is almost all you ever need to know ;-) it's a bit number rich which is over the top for wiring a few lights. 

It's true that you don't go far before needing a bit of techie knowledge but the basics is more practical than theoretical.

This one seems a bit better

http://www.boats.com/resources/12-volt-basics-for-boaters

Thanks so much, just checked out that page and it looks really good will definitely be reading that one as well, really appreciate your feedback 

can you not remove trim and take the ceiling board down in one piece?

I think so , it would be a very big job as there are two lights in the ceiling plus a ventilator whole. But I imagine this would need to be done for me to be able to find the wiring leading to the ceiling lights ? I guess when it comes to fitting the wall light I would also need to take the panelling off the wall that the lights are to be fitted into?

This is in danger of becoming overwhelming for the OP  

Potentially your task is quite simple. You have ceiling lights that are not switched remotely and you wish to add some wall lights that will also not be switched remotely.  

The ceiling lights will each have two wires connecting to them, quite probably one red and one black. Each of these two wires need to be extended with some new wire of the same size down to the wall lights. That is basically all you have to do. How you physically achieve that entirely depends on how simple it is to remove the ceiling and wall panels on your boat.

Once you've created the access and run the cables it would be advisable to have someone who knows what they're doing to make the connections for the new cables because the terminations should really be crimped. You really shouldn't use chock block connectors. 

I think so , it would be a very big job as there are two lights in the ceiling plus a ventilator whole. But I imagine this would need to be done for me to be able to find the wiring leading to the ceiling lights ? I guess when it comes to fitting the wall light I would also need to take the panelling off the wall that the lights are to be fitted into?

All depends what finish you are after, You could of course just use thin trunking but this would look crap.

If its just plain panels with no bulkheads then its not that hard, remove all trim and then unscrew and lift down, removing lights first of course and ensuring the ends of the wires are either isolated, or the power is knocked off at source.

if you are fitting new wires behind panels, make sure you use trunking so the wires do not come in contact with the insulation if its the polystyrene type, it reacts otherwise.

All depends what finish you are after, You could of course just use thin trunking but this would look crap.

If its just plain panels with no bulkheads then its not that hard, remove all trim and then unscrew and lift down, removing lights first of course and ensuring the ends of the wires are either isolated, or the power is knocked off at source.

if you are fitting new wires behind panels, make sure you use trunking so the wires do not come in contact with the insulation if its the polystyrene type, it reacts otherwise.

They are just plain painted panels , with no bulkheads.  

I see there are wires also running along underneath my gunwaless, If some of these disappear upwards towards the ceiling I imagine this must be the cables that lead to the lights in the ceiling ?Maybe even simpler is I could run a spur ff one of these,  if that's the right term? 

I see there are wires also running along underneath my gunwaless, If some of these disappear upwards towards the ceiling I imagine this must be the cables that lead to the lights in the ceiling ?Maybe even simpler is I could run a spur ff one of these,  if that's the right term? 

In theory, yes. Two problems spring to mind though. 

1. How will you know (not guess) that they are the correct cables?

2. Will there be sufficient slack at that point to make a professional connection?