First Canal Holiday

richard_567

Featured Posts

I hired a small day boat (32 foot) last year and loved it so much that we're going on a 3 night break on a 66 foot narrow boat soon. 

We're going on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal from Dunhampstead and plan to go to Worcester. 

Being new to this I've got a few questions:

1. Will a 66 foot boat be a lot harder to control than a 32 foot one?

2. Should I tie the boat in a lock?

3. How do I know where to moor for the night?

4. Does anyone know of any good waterside pubs in the area?

5. Is it difficult to moor in Worcester?

any advice to a newbie would be gratefully appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, richard_567 said:

I hired a small day boat (32 foot) last year and loved it so much that we're going on a 3 night break on a 66 foot narrow boat soon. 

We're going on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal from Dunhampstead and plan to go to Worcester. 

No, just remember its longer and turning is a bit trickier

No!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

Above link shows pubs if you zoom in

Sorry not been there

We've never had any trouble mooring in Worcester there's usually plenty of room below the last lock.

Plan your journey so you stop for the night below Tardebigge top lock , again plenty of room, so you can make an early start on the flight.

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

We've never had any trouble mooring in Worcester there's usually plenty of room below the last lock.

Plan your journey so you stop for the night below Tardebigge top lock , again plenty of room, so you can make an early start on the flight.

If they are starting at Dunhampstead they won't need to do Tardebigge flight.

First night you should easily make Crowle Tibberton, and can normally moor at the canalside pub there, but don't know what it is like now.

Second night should get you into Diglis Basin. There are normally moorings available on the stretch below Commandry Lock to there, and plenty of room to turn.

Edited by Graham Davis

14 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

If they are starting at Dunhampstead they won't need to do Tardebigge flight...................

Yes, should've gone to Specsavers.

The Stourport Ring in three nights probably is pushing it a bit.  

46 minutes ago, richard_567 said:

1. No

2. Don't tie it but you can run a rope around a bollard to hold the boat. Most folks don't use a rope in narrow locks. Keep the boat forward when going down.

3. Anywhere where it doesn't say you can't but you will find official signed visitor moorings with rings and/or bollards. The first ones you will find are in Tibberton (which I think is where Graham Davis is thinking of when he mentioned Crowle). Just south of here are the Offerton (or Tibberton) locks and the bottom of those is probably the last place you should consider mooring before the centre of Worcester.

4. Pubs yes but good ones not so easy. There is a pub called The Fir Tree Inn just along the road from your hire base but I haven't been there for years because it was a bit weird when I did. However it's still there and probably changed hands since. Tibberton visitor moorings are next to the Bridge Inn which I have visited quite a few times but the best I can offer is to say you neither avoid it or seek it out as a place to stop.

5. Shouldn't be a problem either above or below lock number 3.

In total Dunhampstead to Worcester is a short days cruise. I would go from Droitwich to Worcester in a day (I am planning this for Saturday via a stop to watch the rugby at Worcester on the way). Even allowing for the fact it is your first trip you might wish to think about doing the Droitwich Ring or heading back north to Hanbury Junction and then on to either Stoke Wharf or Droitwich and back to Dunhamstead. If you do this you could stop on the last night at Hanbury Junction and the Eagle & Sun pub but it does come less recommended than the Bridge at Tibberton.

Best pubs in the area are Camp House Inn on the Severn (albeit an acquired taste) and the Gardeners Arms in Droitwich.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

You can also moor on the river in Worcester but you are required to pay (from memory £5 per night) quite pleasant just below the racecourse. There is a free CR&T pontoon on the river just outside the canal lock, but it is usually full.  The river locks open at 08:00, forget closing time, but easy to find on the CRT site.

My answer to mooring is when you are ready to moor, stop and tie up on the tow path side.  Others like to aim for particular pubs or towns but I am a fan of the middle of nowhere mooring. It's up to you!

Most of them seem to moor in Worcester then in Droitwich doing the ring

3 minutes ago, NickF said:

My answer to mooring is when you are ready to moor, stop and tie up on the tow path side.  Others like to aim for particular pubs or towns but I am a fan of the middle of nowhere mooring. It's up to you!

Its virtually impossible to moor just anywhere on the Droitwich canal if he is going that way, only in Droitwich. 

Captain Pegg, 

You were right, I meant Tibberton, so correct it. Like you I haven't been in The Bridge for some years. There is also "Speed the Plough" just down the road. Agreed about not mooring between the bottom of Astwood Locks and just above Commandry Lock (3)

Is the Droitwich Ring possible in 3 nights for a beginner? At least the Severn is low at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Captain Pegg, 

You were right, I meant Tibberton, so correct it. Like you I haven't been in The Bridge for some years. There is also "Speed the Plough" just down the road. Agreed about not mooring between the bottom of Astwood Locks and just above Commandry Lock (3)

Is the Droitwich Ring possible in 3 nights for a beginner? At least the Severn is low at the moment.

Several were doing it when we were there and I think they were on short breaks

Under 13 hours from Nick's planner

Edited by ditchcrawler

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Most of them seem to moor in Worcester then in Droitwich doing the ring

Its virtually impossible to moor just anywhere on the Droitwich canal if he is going that way, only in Droitwich. 

Fair point...... although I did manage here 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Droitwich+Spa,+Droitwich/@52.2571772,-2.1839086,179m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870edef6d5425a1:0x56cca7e22ab84107!8m2!3d52.2615914!4d-2.1526355

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Captain Pegg, 

Neighbouring villages to be fair Graham but Crowle is on top of a hill. And it has a better pub. The Speed the Plough has been closed but I think was open last time I drove past.

At the risk of seeming to be pedantic you surely mean Offerton (or Tibberton or Parker's if you wish) locks rather than Astwood? Astwood are north of Hanbury Junction and there are some rather desirable villages between Astwood and Offerton.

The ring is certainly possible and I suspect first timers do it routinely. However the stretch up the Severn and the Barge Canal is a very different experience from the narrow canals on the other leg.

On a weekend hire a lot depends on what time you can do takeover on the Friday. Dunhampstead to Tibberton is 1.5 miles so about 30 minutes cruising. I think most people having got their hands on the boat after the anticipation of a first boating holiday might want to do a little more.

From Dunhampstead I would aim for Droitwich, Stoke Works or bottom of Offerton as a minimum depending on the trip. In this case it would be bottom (or perhaps bottom but one by the Pershore Road bridge) of the Offerton flight. No pub there though but if you are up for a walk you are probably still less than a mile from the Bridge at Tibberton.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
To remove error on times for Droitwich Ring

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

The ring is certainly possible and I suspect first timers do it routinely. I reckon it's really 16 hours cruising although Canal Planner says 20 hours on default. However the stretch up the Severn and the Barge Canal is a very different experience from the narrow canals on the other leg.

JP

This is what I got when I put it into Canalplanner

Summary

This is a trip of 21 miles and 33 locks from Dunhampstead Boatyard to Dunhampstead Boatyard.

This will take 12 hours and 8 minutes which is 3 days, 8 minutes at 4 hours per day.

From Dunhampstead Boatyard travel southwest on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Basin to King's Norton Junction) for 7 miles, 1 furlong and 14 locks to Diglis Basin, then travel southwest on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Junction to Diglis Basin) for 1¼ furlongs and 2 locks to Diglis Junction, then travel north on the River Severn (main river - Stourport to Worcester) for 4 miles, 3¼ furlongs and 1 lock to Hawford Junction, then travel northeast on the Droitwich Canals (Droitwich Barge Canal) for 5 miles, 7 furlongs and 9 locks to Droitwich Junction, then travel east on the Droitwich Canals (Droitwich Junction Canal) for 1 mile, 4 furlongs and 7 locks to Hanbury Junction, then travel south on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Basin to King's Norton Junction) for 1 mile, 7½ furlongs to Dunhampstead Boatyard.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Summary

This is a trip of 21 miles and 33 locks from Dunhampstead Boatyard to Dunhampstead Boatyard.

This will take 12 hours and 8 minutes which is 3 days, 8 minutes at 4 hours per day.

From Dunhampstead Boatyard travel southwest on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Basin to King's Norton Junction) for 7 miles, 1 furlong and 14 locks to Diglis Basin, then travel southwest on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Junction to Diglis Basin) for 1¼ furlongs and 2 locks to Diglis Junction, then travel north on the River Severn (main river - Stourport to Worcester) for 4 miles, 3¼ furlongs and 1 lock to Hawford Junction, then travel northeast on the Droitwich Canals (Droitwich Barge Canal) for 5 miles, 7 furlongs and 9 locks to Droitwich Junction, then travel east on the Droitwich Canals (Droitwich Junction Canal) for 1 mile, 4 furlongs and 7 locks to Hanbury Junction, then travel south on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal (Diglis Basin to King's Norton Junction) for 1 mile, 7½ furlongs to Dunhampstead Boatyard.

I think I must have got 20 miles confused with 20 hours. I ran it on default just and it was 14 hours 35 minutes so I think you might have yours slightly customised.

Thinking about it I am planning on 8 hours net from Droitwich to Worcester via Hanbury on Saturday and anything up to 6 hours net back again via the river on Sunday.

JP

Thank you to everyone who replied, the advice and information is really appreciated.

I've got a copy of Collins Waterways Guide on order, and with the info you've all provided I feel confident that I can plan my trip now.

I'll post how I got on.

Richard

Re. Q2: It's perhaps worth explaining why you shouldn't tie a boat in a lock. As the water level changes, the length of rope needed from the bollard to the point you've tied to on the boat goes up or down too. So if the rope tightens, the boat gets hung up from above, or from below making it heel over sideways, or is pulled along the lock, any of which can have nasty consequences. Or if the rope loosens, it isn't holding the boat where you want it, and the boat can drift away towards one end of the lock, or sideways in a wide lock.

There are various reasons why it is sometimes wise to have a rope around something but not tied to it (though not in such a way that it can trap itself), holding the end and gradually pulling or releasing it to keep the length right. For example if single handing you can stand on a lock side and use a rope around a bollard to keep the boat away from the gates. You really don't want the boat to be near the top gate when emptying a lock. Or you might have the centre line going around a suitable bollard and back to the steerer, who can then use it to help control the position of the boat in a lock, particularly if you have the only boat in a wide lock to prevent the boat going sideways. Or if you're going downhill a bow line around a rail on the bottom gate can be used to keep the boat near that gate, particularly useful with a butty which is a tight fit in the lock. There are probably other reasons I haven't thought of here!

But in the OP's situation, at a narrow lock where you're not single handing, it's best not to use ropes in a lock. Just have one person on the boat using the engine to keep clear of the gates, and the other operating the lock, and be a bit cautious about opening all the paddles too soon, especially in a deep lock.

• Greenie 1

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 17:04, Captain Pegg said:

1. No

2. Don't tie it but you can run a rope around a bollard to hold the boat. Most folks don't use a rope in narrow locks. Keep the boat forward when going down.

3. Anywhere where it doesn't say you can't but you will find official signed visitor moorings with rings and/or bollards. The first ones you will find are in Tibberton (which I think is where Graham Davis is thinking of when he mentioned Crowle). Just south of here are the Offerton (or Tibberton) locks and the bottom of those is probably the last place you should consider mooring before the centre of Worcester.

4. Pubs yes but good ones not so easy. There is a pub called The Fir Tree Inn just along the road from your hire base but I haven't been there for years because it was a bit weird when I did. However it's still there and probably changed hands since. Tibberton visitor moorings are next to the Bridge Inn which I have visited quite a few times but the best I can offer is to say you neither avoid it or seek it out as a place to stop.

5. Shouldn't be a problem either above or below lock number 3.

In total Dunhampstead to Worcester is a short days cruise. I would go from Droitwich to Worcester in a day (I am planning this for Saturday via a stop to watch the rugby at Worcester on the way). Even allowing for the fact it is your first trip you might wish to think about doing the Droitwich Ring or heading back north to Hanbury Junction and then on to either Stoke Wharf or Droitwich and back to Dunhamstead. If you do this you could stop on the last night at Hanbury Junction and the Eagle & Sun pub but it does come less recommended than the Bridge at Tibberton.

Best pubs in the area are Camp House Inn on the Severn (albeit an acquired taste) and the Gardeners Arms in Droitwich.

JP

I looooove the Camp House Inn,cracking place.We are planning on getting onto the Severn on Sunday & a Camp House visit is planned.

Edited by The Bearwood Boster

Just now, The Bearwood Boster said:

I looooove the Camp House Inn,cracking place.We are planning on getting onto the Severn on Sunday & a Camp House visit is planned.

May see you. Providing I can change the oil and get the engine started tomorrow I should be there on Sunday lunchtime (and I know they don't do food on a Sunday).

JP