Crick show 2017

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Thinking of going this year as never been, more of day out than anything.

Will have the boat at Braunstone anyway and was thinking of heading up week before and mooring up near the marina, then doing the Saturday and then heading off back towards braunstone sunday.

Do they allow mooring near the marina, I see they reserve moorings if you pay, but just wondered how far these run, can you moor up on the north side of the tunnel or are they reserved all the way?

These days, the paid for moorings start at the Crick end of the tunnel and run right the way through Crick and round the corner pretty much to the green footbridge. Once you get to the winding hole there are some free moorings, but they're often occupied well in advance; likewise Yelvertoft, which is a walk away over Crack Hill. 

57 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Will have the boat at Braunstone anyway and was thinking of heading up week before and mooring up near the marina, then doing the Saturday and then heading off back towards braunstone sunday.

Do they allow mooring near the marina, I see they reserve moorings if you pay, but just wondered how far these run, can you moor up on the north side of the tunnel or are they reserved all the way?

Do you mean Braunston old chap or Braunstone in Leicester?

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

should read 28th may.

so anyone aware of towpath restrictions when the show is on?

I am fairly sure you can't moor between the tunnel and bridge 14  from a few days prior to the show until after the show. Ian.

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

ld read 28th may.

so anyone aware of towpath restrictions when the show is on?

3 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

I was wondering the same thing myself. I thought perhaps of going a mile or two past crick and walking back down. I don't mind the walk and it will wear the dog out a bit, just wasn't sure how far past was necessary.

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I was wondering the same thing myself. I thought perhaps of going a mile or two past crick and walking back down. I don't mind the walk and it will wear the dog out a bit, just wasn't sure how far past was necessary.

that was my thinking, looking at google maps I'm just wondering if you can get on the bank?

I was thinking of somewhere near bridge 17 as there is a footpath that runs to bridge 13 and the walk is only a mile or so, no idea what the bank is like along there though but would have at least thought it possible to moor opposite Yelvertoft Marina. If not no doubt someone will be along shortly to say so

15 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I was thinking of somewhere near bridge 17 as there is a footpath that runs to bridge 13 and the walk is only a mile or so, no idea what the bank is like along there though but would have at least thought it possible to moor opposite Yelvertoft Marina. If not no doubt someone will be along shortly to say so

There is mooring before and just after Yelvertoft marina. It's about 30 to 40 minutes walk.

Ian.

We went the year before last, 2015. We booked a mooring,but couldn't get into the mooring as the bottom was too close to the top. I had a bit of a moan but it fell on deaf ears. Mooring without booking means a long walk.

Anyway, enjoyed the show and the evening was brilliant in the beer tent. So many beers to chose.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We went the year before last, 2015. We booked a mooring,but couldn't get into the mooring as the bottom was too close to the top. I had a bit of a moan but it fell on deaf ears. Mooring without booking means a long walk.

A genuine question from me, no sarky'ness intended honestly.

What action and from whom did you expect it?

CRT or the show organisers. Waterways World.

i believe if they are charging a reasonable amount for moorings that are normally free of charge,then at least the boat ought to be able to be boarded without walking the plank. A quick dredge a week or so before the show would do any harm paid for by the fees for moorings. 

18 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

i believe if they are charging a reasonable amount for moorings that are normally free of charge,then at least the boat ought to be able to be boarded without walking the plank. A quick dredge a week or so before the show would do any harm paid for by the fees for moorings. 

The moorings they charge for are in the main not places anyone normally uses. I would guess though that a quick dredge would cost more than the fees they charge?

Ian.

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

They should also should publish the guaranteed minimum depth of water so if levels are low you know if you will need a plank or not.  Maybe even have a short length with a greater depth (at additional cost??) available for booking.

• 1 month later...

Well Crick show done, to be honest i wish i had gone Birmingham instead, had a walk round, some nice boats, cheese, loads of ale, weird music... Left and took the boat for an evening cruise and found a nice spot for a BBQ...

WP_20170527_20_02_15_Pro_LI.jpg

At least i can say i have done it.