Cheapo Inverter

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I guess you missed the post where I said I was thinking about a genny.

In that case I would scrap the idea of another Inverter and see if your misses hairdryer works on the current one (at a lower heat setting) to keep her happy.  (Batteries won't be, but if it's only for minutes then the amount of ah's used will be manageable).    Then just use the oven on the genny...

11 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I guess you missed the post where I said I was thinking about a genny.

Good idea - but you'll find that it'll have to be a 4Kw unit - and they're quite big / noisy / expensive/ ....

5 minutes ago, Robbo said:

In that case I would scrap the idea of another Inverter and see if your misses hairdryer works on the current one (at a lower heat setting) to keep her happy.  (Batteries won't be, but if it's only for minutes then the amount of ah's used will be manageable).    Then just use the oven on the genny...

Yeah tried that already last year, blew the AC fuse mid cruise around the BCN.

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Good idea - but you'll find that it'll have to be a 4Kw unit - and they're quite big / noisy / expensive/ ....

Wouldn't this suffice?

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/hyundai-hy3000sei-remote-start-inverter-generator.html#.WO4lP-Q2yUk

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yes. My research last year came up with a figure of around £10k supplied and installed for a cocooned diesel genny suitable for me. Would just about have run an oven and a hair dryer.

Perhaps the GF might like to fund it given the hair dryer is non-negotiable!

3 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Wouldn't this suffice?

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/hyundai-hy3000sei-remote-start-inverter-generator.html#.WO4lP-Q2yUk

Very funny!

15 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

You could get a cordless hair dryer..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cordless-Dryer-2-battery-FreeDryer-400Watts/dp/B06XQZKVXK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492003046&sr=8-1&keywords=freedryer

Or one of the many low powered travel ones...

Edited by Robbo

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. My research last year came up with a figure of around £10k supplied and installed for a cocooned diesel genny suitable for me. Would just about have run an oven and a hair dryer.

Perhaps the GF might like to fund it given the hair dryer is non-negotiable!

Very funny!

Why?

it says 2600 watts?

3 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Why?

it says 2600 watts?

How long do you suppose it would last, running at full whack?  And if the hair dryer was turned on at the same time as the oven all bets are off. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How long do you suppose it would last, running at full whack?  And if the hair dryer was turned on at the same time as the oven all bets are off. 

Would it run at full whack though, hairdryer is 2000 watts, so about 75% full whack, for 10 minutes.

Oven would run at near full whack yes, but as I have stated I don't use it a lot anyway and then it only really runs at full whack for ten minutes then flips in and out over the half hour whilst food is cooking.

14 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Why?

it says 2600 watts?

Are you happy with lugging a genny out onto the back or the bank each time a chicken needs roasting? And ok with storing petrol aboard? Where will you get the petrol?

I just think it an electric oven powered by a portable generator is a lousy solution but it's up to you. Buy the gear then let us know how it works out. Others here will be interested to hear and may do the same if you find its all ok.

I'm happy to store a genny on the bow with a cover and a lock, I would not have a jerry can on the boat, only whats in the tank which according to the spec lasts up to 8 hours, I would fetch petrol from a petrol station in my car and leave the jerry can at gfs house when not being used.

It weighs 28kg, not a lot really and I'm happy to lift it off the boat on to the bank when needed, which as already mentioned wouldn't be very often as the gf does not live on the boat and I don't use the oven much.

I understand its not ideal, but I have the oven in place as already mentioned and the gf wants to be able to use a hair dryer when on the boat.

4 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I'm happy to store a genny on the bow with a cover and a lock, I would not have a jerry can on the boat, only whats in the tank which according to the spec lasts up to 8 hours, I would fetch petrol from a petrol station in my car and leave the jerry can at gfs house when not being used.

It weighs 28kg, not a lot really and I'm happy to lift it off the boat on to the bank when needed, which as already mentioned wouldn't be very often as the gf does not live on the boat and I don't use the oven much.

I understand its not ideal, but I have the oven in place as already mentioned and the gf wants to be able to use a hair dryer when on the boat.

Sounds a lot of hassle to cook a chuck when you could just turn the gas on.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I'm happy to store a genny on the bow with a cover and a lock...

... and an empty tank, hopefully. Otherwise it's a BSS fail. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I would not have a jerry can on the boat, only whats in the tank

That makes little sense. You have the genny on the boat with an empty tank, you cruise somewhere and wish to use the genny. How? You'll need to fill the tank. So you must have the jerry can with you. 

'Stow any portable engine with integral fuel tanks containing petrol, in a self-draining, vapour-tight and fire-resistant locker or on open deck, but never over or near deck boards where, if leak occurs, dripping petrol or stray vapours could find their way through into the boat’s interior.'

Ill have to lock it on the stern deck then.

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

'Stow any portable engine with integral fuel tanks containing petrol, in a self-draining, vapour-tight and fire-resistant locker or on open deck, but never over or near deck boards where, if leak occurs, dripping petrol or stray vapours could find their way through into the boat’s interior.'

Ill have to lock it on the stern deck then.

Yes, effectively that means it must be in a gas locker. See 5.4.2 here: https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

This to me means in the open (Bow) with vents leading overboard, which I have.

Outboard engines with integral petrol tanks and portable

combustion engines with integral petrol or LPG tanks must be

stored in the open where any leaked petrol would flow overboard

unimpeded, or in a suitable locker.

35 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

This to me means in the open (Bow) with vents leading overboard, which I have.

Outboard engines with integral petrol tanks and portable

combustion engines with integral petrol or LPG tanks must be

stored in the open where any leaked petrol would flow overboard

unimpeded, or in a suitable locker.

Yes it could be OK, the issue is the step up or otherwise through the front door into the cabin. If there is no step up, then the fluid or vapour can flow through the cracks around the door, or through the door itself if it is open. If there is a significant raised threshold that would encourage vapour to go elswhere, then perhaps it is safe. I am not clear just how much of a raised threshold would be needed to satify the requirements.

Oh and if you wanted to do this better, I'd get a Combi inverter that had power support functionality (ie Mastervolt or Victron) and a less massive generator. The generator is routed through the Combi, and the power shortfall from the genny is made up by the inverter taking some juice from the batteries to supplement the genny power. Then when the chicken is frazzled and you turn the oven off, continue to leave the genny running for a while and the Combi automatically recharges the batteries. More expensive though.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Its a good point, I have a lip of about two inches, difficult one to work out though.

Dave, numerous peeps on here with zillions of hours of practical boating are nearly all telling ( advising ) you that leccy hairdryers and cookers are simply silly and not worth the hassle it will cost far less just to bin the oven and fit a gas one and get rid of the high maintainance wench and find a different model that is cheaper to run, there are thousands, nay millions of them on the market throughout the world some of which dont even speak english so you dont need to listen to them moaning ( Russianbrides.com ) for one.

27 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Its a good point, I have a lip of about two inches, difficult one to work out though.

I accidentally left a spare gas bottle in the cratch once, come BSS time. The cratch had self-draining scuppers, the front doors had a 2" lip at the bottom. The boat failed until I removed the gas bottle. AFAIK the rules for a petrol container (attached to a generator or otherwise) are the same.