canoe etiquette?

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

I see the playground mentality has started up on this board again.

Yes, I said canoe when I should have said cruiser - maybe because the thread is about canoe etiquette - so I made an error and thank you for pointing this out - but my  suggestion about slowing down is still valid. It may be useful to remember the basic point that  when visibility is restricted, either at a bridge hole, bend or in fog/mist etc.,  make sure that you can stop in at least less than half the distance you can see ahead. Lookouts are also a good idea if you have a crew member to spare.

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

So your narrow boat was under 35ft yet weighed 15 ton?

Yup, that's what the crane driver reckoned. Well. 14.8 if I remember correctly. Fully fitted out and with full tanks. She was 34ft but solid ;)

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

From hither!

For a start I had the draft wrong - we hadn't had her long at the time. As for the crane driver, maybe he's dyslexic :)

32 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

this will run and run.

pity I don't like popcorn, innit?

Oh but it's so much fun winding Rachel up. She spouts about something she knows nothing about and then you just have to throw her scraps to keep her going and going and going... ;)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

For a start I had the draft wrong - we hadn't had her long at the time. As for the crane driver, maybe he's dyslexic :)

Oh but it's so much fun winding Rachel up. She spouts about something she knows nothing about and then you just have to throw her scraps to keep her going and going and going... ;)

I could keep going all night. Unfortunately when Liam gets back from work we are heading out on the boat and my time for unravelling more of your BS will be over.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

I could keep going all night. Unfortunately when Liam gets back from work we are heading out on the boat and my time for unravelling more of your BS will be over.

Yes dear :)

One day you can try skippering a narrowboat and show us all how it's done. You could tie it in with demonstrating lift bridges. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, WotEver said:

Yes dear :)

One day you can try skippering a narrowboat and show us all how it's done. You could tie it in with demonstrating lift bridges. 

Have already been at the helm of several narrowboats, ranging from a little 26ft Sea Otter to a 57fter. Can't say that I noticed either was that difficult to stop or manoeuvre. 

Not my cup of tea. 

Much prefer a lump of plastic with a wheel and some grunt. 

On 13/04/2017 at 17:42, Naughty Cal said:

Just squash him them and see what the inquest says.

It will more than likely say stupid canoeist gets killed by being stupid! [I did the best part of 20 years canoeing in the ARMY was an instructor for both inland and sea and have canoed in Norway where some of the most dangerous white water in the world is] Yesterday as we were coming into Sheffield we had 2 idiots in a canoe overtake us as we approached a bridge, we have a wheelhouse so didnt hear them until I saw them level with the stern, I continued my maneuver which was to occupy the piece of water he was trying to get into! He speeded up  and then nearly got crushed by the bow, i only had inches each side of my wheelhouse under the arched bridge, was already going slow and really couldnt do anything else but what I did. They could however have stopped at any point and been perfectly safe, but that was to easy for them! You cant legislate for people doing stupid things because nowdays sense is rarely common.

• Greenie 1