canoe etiquette?

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

A narrowboat on a narrow canal going into a bridge hole - can not go to port or starboard and no brakes.  Certainly can't go up, so I think you will have to agree the narrowboat is committed to going into the bridge hole or to avoid the canoe to deliberately crash into the bank/brickwork due to the negligence of the canoe that probably has no third party insurance, leaving the narrowboat to pay for all damage which they can not recover.

I think you will find that canoe licences (even short term ones) are only issued when the boat has at least £1million third party insurance cover, and I would not  agree with your comment about a narrow boat not having brakes. If the visibility through the bridge is obstructed, the steerer should slow down before entering the bridge hole and be prepared to go astern - hard if necessary - to avoid accidents. There should be no excuse for charging blindly through trusting to luck!:unsure:

Howard

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

With such a statement anyone would think you have no idea about skippering a narrowboat... oh, wait...

They seem to stop pretty well when a large cruiser comes through a bridge hole the opposite way.  Why any different with a canoe?

Or is it just a case of my boats bigger then yours so I have right of way?

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They seem to stop pretty well when a large cruiser comes through a bridge hole the opposite way.  Why any different with a canoe?

Or is it just a case of my boats bigger then yours so I have right of way?

There's plenty of blind spots on my boat where it could easily hide a small boat.  Just because you can see me doesn't mean to say I've noticed you.

33 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I hit a large cruiser bow to bow in a narrow bridge hole on a bend. He appeared far more bothered about it than me. If he hadn't been going so fast then perhaps we could have avoided each other.  He'd just about stopped but 15 tonnes of steel takes some stopping - it's basic physics. So I hit him. 

Maybe next time he'll be a little less reckless, just as I suggested for the canoeist. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I hit a large cruiser bow to bow in a narrow bridge hole on a bend. He appeared far more bothered about it than me. If he hadn't been going so fast then perhaps we could have avoided each other.  He'd just about stopped but 15 tonnes of steel takes some stopping - it's basic physics. So I hit him. 

Maybe next time he'll be a little less reckless, just as I suggested for the canoeist. 

Maybe next time you should keep a better look out.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Using Rachael's analogy of a supertanker, if you feel that 15 tons of steel take some stopping, do what they do and slow down earlier, when approaching a blind bridge hole or any other situation where you may come across something unexpected. That is what the throttle lever is for when all is said and done!

Howard

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Maybe next time you should keep a better look out.

I wonder which part of narrow bridge hole on a bend you have difficulty in understanding...

11 minutes ago, howardang said:

Using Rachael's analogy of a supertanker, if you feel that 15 tons of steel take some stopping, do what they do and slow down earlier, when approaching a blind bridge hole or any other situation where you may come across something unexpected. That is what the throttle lever is for when all is said and done!

Howard

Where you there?  Which one of us was at fault? Who was travelling slowest? Oh that's right, you don't know. 

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I wonder which part of narrow bridge hole on a bend you have difficulty in understanding...

Where you there?  Which one of us was at fault? Who was travelling slowest? Oh that's right, you don't know. 

Why do I need to have been there? And where have I suggested who was at fault? It's basic common sense (and good boatmanship) to slow down if approaching any narrow bridge hole on a bend where you can't see what's coming the other way.

You were the one who mentioned basic physics - your words say it all:-

"He'd just about stopped but 15 tonnes of steel takes some stopping - it's basic physics. So I hit him." 

Howard

5 minutes ago, howardang said:

Why do I need to have been there? And where have I suggested who was at fault? It's basic common sense (and good boatmanship) to slow down if approaching any narrow bridge hole on a bend where you can't see what's coming the other way.

So why would you imply that I hadn't done just that? (I was on tickover as it happens)

9 minutes ago, howardang said:

You were the one who mentioned basic physics

Yup, something which neither you nor Rachel appear to understand. When said cruiser came careening through the bridge hole I immediately went into reverse and had just about stopped when we collided. Had I been as light as him then I'd have been moving backwards by that time and the collision could have been avoided. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yup, something which neither you nor Rachel appear to understand. When said cruiser came careening through the bridge hole I immediately went into reverse and had just about stopped when we collided. Had I been as light as him then I'd have been moving backwards by that time and the collision could have been avoided. 

I don't pretend to speak for Rachael who is more than capable of speaking for herself. I can assure you that I do understand basic physics, but I am not going to get into one of these interminable CWF circular arguments . I will just say that maybe an earlier speed reduction might have given you those extra seconds to have avoided the canoe completely. Who knows, but it may just be a thought?

i think we will just have to agree to disagree!

Howard

Edited by howardang

58 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If it was a narrow bridge hole then it wasn't a large cruiser. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Canoe? What canoe?

I agree, a much earlier slowing down of the cruiser would indeed have avoided the collision. If I'd been travelling any slower I'd have already been stopped. 

Which begs the question if you were travelling that slowly how you managed to still have a collision. 

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

What is this plastic cruiser that is narrowbeam and 45ft in length.

Must be an engineering marvel.

Maybe 35 ft then - whatever, it was longer than WotEver. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

So to draw the canoe etiquette thread to a timely close. Whether you see a canoe or not, don't hit it. 

Even if it's not there.