Angling contests on the Shroppie

dor

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, haza said:

so would it not be easy for someone from crt to be there when they peg out .kill 2 birds with one stone ...

Did someone not say the pegs have already been marked out?

(In one of the threads on this subject.)

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Me but someone else may have also said it

So given the pegs are alresdy marked out, NOW is the time to be getting on CRT's back over it, as the evidence is already in place. If it's really problem.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So given the pegs are alresdy marked out, NOW is the time to be getting on CRT's back over it, as the evidence is already in place. If it's really problem.

I didn't see any on lock landings or even close to bridge holes 

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't see any on lock landings or even close to bridge holes 

But how close to the locks do they peg? Its august so there are likely to be several boats queueing at the pinch points in quite a long line.

7 minutes ago, haza said:

if pegs are set out ...thats even better ...crt go an check if all is in order ..if a peg is where its not to be ..take it out at put it where its allowed ...whats so hard about that ...

So you are approaching a lock with eight boats queued in front of you and six anglers with keep nets in the water what do you do?

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So you are approaching a lock with eight boats queued in front of you and six anglers with keep nets in the water what do you do?

I'd chill out mid channel and wait for the big old queue to go down - in addition I'd question why I was travelling on such a busy day for boats.

I'd prob make a brew and a bit of snap too.

Just now, sirweste said:

I'd chill out mid channel and wait for the big old queue to go down - in addition I'd question why I was travelling on such a busy day for boats.

I'd prob make a brew and a bit of snap too.

So you chill out " Mid channel " :lol: and where does the angler with his thirty foot pole go? What if you are a holiday boater without the luxury of being able to choose precisely when you boat having to get back to hire base?  Like it or not great lengths on anglers in august does nothing for angler/boater relations.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

So you chill out " Mid channel " :lol: and where does the angler with his thirty foot pole go? What if you are a holiday boater without the luxury of being able to choose precisely when you boat having to get back to hire base?  Like it or not great lengths on anglers in august does nothing for angler/boater relations.

It's the queue of 8 boats at the lock that's the issue in your dreamt up scenario. As for the fishermen/women and thier fishing sticks, they'll have to figure it out themselves while the queue goes down - if they have issue with being in the area of this apparently very busy lock then they should speak to the organisers for putting em there.

Just now, sirweste said:

It's the queue of 8 boats at the lock that's the issue in your dreamt up scenario. As for the fishermen/women and thier fishing sticks, they'll have to figure it out themselves while the queue goes down - if they have issue with being in the area of this apparently very busy lock then they should speak to the organisers for putting em there.

The trouble is of course its not a dreamnt up scenario and does happen. In my nearly thirty years of canal boating it has happened to me and I am sure to others. It simply makes no sense to do the fishing match in august.

Well it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me, just wait for the 8 boats to go through the lock. If the boater can only sail/boat/steer/drive at busy periods of the year then they will be used to having to wait for boats at locks.

as for the fishermen/women, as I said it's their problem that there's queue of boats in their competition spot, not the boaters.

Well, if I were a competitor I would welcome it in August, sunny warm time to be sat still for hours. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It certainly seems perverse to hold angling championship matches on narrow canals in peak boating season. A river would have been a far better choice I'd have thought.

You will probably find that the CRT angling management team work in a different building (and world)to the CRT boating team, and didn't realise the canal might be busy at that time of year.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, sirweste said:

Well it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me, just wait for the 8 boats to go through the lock. If the boater can only sail/boat/steer/drive at busy periods of the year then they will be used to having to wait for boats at locks.

as for the fishermen/women, as I said it's their problem that there's queue of boats in their competition spot, not the boaters.

Well, if I were a competitor I would welcome it in August, sunny warm time to be sat still for hours. 

While you are waiting for the 8 boats to clear the lock, more will be arriving!

I agree that it is the fisherman's problem, but I bet the fishermen see it differently. When they get p155ed off they usually catapult maggots at "offending" boats. Charming.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

You will probably find that the CRT angling management team work in a different building (and world)to the CRT boating team, and didn't realise the canal might be busy at that time of year.

I think it might be worse than that.

I have a sneaky suspicion CRT might have actively lobbied long and hard for the championship matches to be held on a canal, and the anglers competing are probably just as pished off with their organisation top brass for falling for the pitch.