Angling contests on the Shroppie

dor

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I'm going to take the horse boat out that day.

Your crew might feel the need to cycle along the towpath to set the next lock but there will be times when the boat and cyclist are in line.

Saw this being done by another member of this parish and it certainly made the fishers flex thier muscles as they lifted the poles out of the way of boat and bike.

haggis

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If I were a cyclist I would cycle on roads these are designed for vehicles of which a bicycle is.

If I were an angler I would fish on the many rivers and lakes that abound.

If I were a runner I would attend a running track.

If I were a swimmer I would go to a swimming pool as the name suggests.

I am a boater in a boat designed for use on a canal which is were I am so why does every one of the above feel the need to grab my space?

The problem (if any) is that it's not your or my space. If that were so there would be no C&RT and the canals would have been converted into drainage channels long since.

Yes, it's a pain - but I'd rather go a tad slower - tedious as it may be - than not being able to cruise at all. Perhaps I've been on the water too long.......

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If I were a cyclist I would cycle on roads these are designed for vehicles of which a bicycle is.

If I were an angler I would fish on the many rivers and lakes that abound.

If I were a runner I would attend a running track.

If I were a swimmer I would go to a swimming pool as the name suggests.

I am a boater in a boat designed for use on a canal which is were I am so why does every one of the above feel the need to grab my space?

Seriously?  (Or are you being ironic?) 

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Seriously?  (Or are you being ironic?) 

Deffo serious, different environments are made for differing pursuits. Theres nowt worse than for instance some plonker tearing down the towpath on his vehicle and clouting me/wife/dog as we step off the boat...........and yes it does happen. I have never yet taken my boat down the M1 ( except on a trombone trailer )

C&RT's reply from Facebook

Hi there, John Ellis from our fisheries team have advised that the whole match length will not be used there will be no competitors pegged between bridge 56 and bridge 64, (Tyrley to Market Drayton town (between bridge 69 and 71 (Adderley area) and between bridge 72 and bridge 81. (Audlem) . If you require further information they can be found here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/.../division-one-national... and the contact details of the match organiser can also be found on there, it may be worth contacting them for further details. Siân L

So according to that link they gave me the sections are:

Section Location
A Bridge 42 to Bridge 44
B Bridge 44 to Bridge 45
C Bridge 46 to Bridge 48
D Bridge 48 to Bridge 50
E Bridge 50 to Bridge 53
F Bridge 53 to Bridge 56
G Bridge 64 to Bridge 66
H Bridge 66 to Bridge 69
J Bridge 71 to Bridge 72
K Bridge 81 to Bridge 84

And here is when each section is being used:

• Sun 21 May Open Match on D Sect. Draw, Hippodrome (Wetherspoons) M Drayton TF9 1PS. Contact Brian on 07847628442 or Steve on 07576039169.
  • Sat 27 May Open Match on J Sect. Draw, Hippodrome (Wetherspoons) M Drayton TF9 1PS. Contact and bookings to Bob Yeomans on 07931555958.
  • Sun 28 May Open Match on H Sect. Draw, Hippodrome (Wetherspoons) M Drayton TF9 1PS. Contact and bookings to Bob Yeomans on 07931555958.
  • Sun 11 June Open Match on K Sect, Coole Pilate. Draw at the Overwater Marina CW5 8AY. Contact Paul Harding on 07504346883 (Match limited to 50 pegs).
  • Sat 24 June Open Match on E & F Sect, Goldstone. Draw at Hippodrome M Drayton TF9 1PS. Details & Bookings to Dave Watkins on 07725556159.
  • Sat 01 July Open Match on G Sect, Market Drayton. Draw at Hippodrome M Drayton TF9 1PS. Details and Bookings to Dave Watkins on 07725556159.
  • Sun 09 July Open Match on B & C Sections. Draw at Knighton Social Club, ST20 0QH. Contact and bookings to Terry Nutt on 07970181824.
  • Sun 16 July Open Match on D Sect, Draw, Draw at Hippodrome M Drayton TF9 1PS. Contact Brian on 07847628442 or Steve on 07576039169.
  • Sat 22 July Open Match on A & B Sections. Draw at Knighton Social Club, ST20 0QH. Contact and bookings to Terry Nutt on 07970181824.
  • Sat 05 Aug Canal & River Trust Pairs. C & D Sect, Park Heath. Draw at Castle Hotel, Bletchley TF9 3RZ. Contact, Angling Trust.
  • Fri 11 Aug Garbolino RAF Teams of 5. A & B Sect, High Offley & Shebdon. Draw at Knighton Social Club ST20 0Q. Contact Ben Jackson on 07979527662.
  • Sat 12 Aug Individual National. E,F,G Sect, Goldstone & Market Drayton. Draw at Barbers, Market Drayton Livestock Auction, (Sat Nav TF9 3SW).Contact, Angling Trust.
  • Sun 13 Aug Canal & River Trust Pairs, H & J Sect Adderley. Draw at Castle Hotel, Bletchley TF9 3RZ.

Plus the whole lot on the 19th

They chose to ignore some of my questions. ... So It looks like if you want to travel that say then you have 3 areas you can stop in... or face the wrath of anglers (who last time they had a competition on this stretch swore at us when our prop got clogged and we had to do an emergency fumble down the weed hatch).

Edited by StephenA

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Deffo serious, different environments are made for differing pursuits. Theres nowt worse than for instance some plonker tearing down the towpath on his vehicle and clouting me/wife/dog as we step off the boat...........and yes it does happen. I have never yet taken my boat down the M1 ( except on a trombone trailer )

Well I'm with you on the inconsiderate cyclists Tim but please tell me you don't really mean all anglers should be banned from the canal?

My interest in the canals goes all the way back to when I was a kid being taken fishing on the Chesterfield Canal, if I hadn't had those experiences I might have remained ignorant of the inland waterways for years.  Mind you in those days state of the art was a 16' glass fibre rod and I did all my angling with a 9' split cane affair none of these stupid roche poles so maybe you are right... 

4 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Well I'm with you on the inconsiderate cyclists Tim but please tell me you don't really mean all anglers should be banned from the canal?

My interest in the canals goes all the way back to when I was a kid being taken fishing on the Chesterfield Canal, if I hadn't had those experiences I might have remained ignorant of the inland waterways for years.  Mind you in those days state of the art was a 16' glass fibre rod and I did all my angling with a 9' split cane affair none of these stupid roche poles so maybe you are right... 

Its just the few as in most walks of life that spoil it for the many. There is a stretch of 48 hour moorings situated a few yards from my mooring here and last week four or five anglers where sat along the entire stretch with keep nets out making it impossible for most people to moor up, it doesnt happen very often but we have all seen these numpties on lock landings. I have in the past pulled in and politely told such people I have no alternative but to pull in to moor and have been ok but not everyone is an ugly Yorkshire man who has in the past had to deal profesionaly with confrontation and many people feel intimidated and would not moor up which could be a great inconvenience. I too fish on the odd occasion but its when and where isnt it that makes the difference. Most fishing matches are fine but some are no fun for the boater but hey ho :D

19 minutes ago, johnmck said:

And now, the majority of match anglers use roach poles. Blocking both the navigation and the Towpath! 

Yeah, I think I would support a ban on roach poles, bring back real fishing.  

10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Yeah, I think I would support a ban on roach poles, bring back real fishing.  

Are those the gurt long things that reach from one side of the cut to t'other?

I see those and wonder........what if the towpath was on the other side of the canal. Would they still need them?

:unsure:

Site of bridge 81........ It is between Audlem bottom lock and Hack Green. It looks like there is no fishing at all amongst the Audlem flight. Good news really considering the amount of activity put on in Audlem starting with the music festival at Whitsun.

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

Site of bridge 81........ It is between Audlem bottom lock and Hack Green. It looks like there is no fishing at all amongst the Audlem flight. Good news really considering the amount of activity put on in Audlem starting with the music festival at Whitsun.

That's where it should be!  Nicholson's shows bridge 80, Bennetts Bridge about half a mile north of the bottom lock and bridge 82, Coole Lane Bridge another half mile further on.  But no Bridge 81 or any track that would likely lead to one.   It is probably a bridge that has been removed, like the one not far from Hack green, which would have been bridge 87.

Well when we went south along the Shroppie just over a week ago I spotted lots of white canes against the hedgerow. Today there is blue paint on the concrete or piling opposite those canes starting at the Aqueduct visitor moorings between bridges 44 and 45 all the way to bridge 48 straight through the 48hr visitor moorings. They start again at bridge 50 all the way to bridge 55 at the moorings opposite the pub. they are about 60ft apart. 

DSCF7572small.jpg

DSCF7569small.jpg

10 hours ago, StephenA said:

I've asked C&RT if they are suspending the 48 hour visitor moorings at Black Flat bridge... . It does seem that they expect you to either stop at Norbury, or Drayton, Cox's Bank or Coole Pilot.

Just like to say thanks to you for collecting all this info and passing it on.

CWDF at its best :clapping:

Just now, chubby said:

I find all this antagonistic " us and them "'a bit tragic really . Looking for a row where there isn t one . All this " worm danglers " & other phrases etc . 

So some people might not understand " the point " of fishing . So what ? Whats the point of going between A & B in a narrowboat ? Really - do ask yourself . What is the point ? 

The point is - you enjoy it . Why do they go fishing ? They enjoy it . Theres no " point " to either activity beyond the idea that it is pleasurable . 

Your boat is in the water . The fish are in the water . Where do u suggest they go fishing billingsgate f****** market for chrissake . 

" Me me me " -  21st centurys Britains mantra , now to be commonly heard on the canals aswell as every where else . 

What bollocks - so u have to go a bit slower than usual & cannot get a favoured pub etc .

" But sir .... sir - i pay more than he does .., " - what a pathetic attitude . 

The fact some folk dont understand the attraction of  fishing doesn t mean they should whinge ( & it IS whinging - nothing more ) about them

. Fishing is pointless , stamp collecting is pointless , model railway sets  are pointless , flying a kite is pointless . Going between A & B by narrowboat is pointless - except for the fact that it brings pleasure to those involved . Does there need to be any more of a reason than that ? 

Its promising to be a nice sunny day today - so why not stop bellyaching about other peoples chosen source of enjoyment and get on with your own . 

Me me me & whinging . Wow - well done folks , 

That's all very well Chubby, and I'm all for a live and let live approach, but I think you need to see this in the context of the way in which canal life is changing generally.

If I might offer a comparison, I live in a remote, some would say wilderness area.  It is quite normal to take the dogs out for a walk for a couple of hours, and often I will not see another living soul during that time - and definitely if it happens to be raining...  That's why we choose to live up here.  But, as highway improvements make it easier for more and more folk from the city to reach these parts, the tranquility we hitherto have taken for granted is gradually being eroded.  

Now, you may take the view that this is the real world and we have to deal with it, fair enough, but if I think folks are invading the environment that I value as it is,  I think I have the right to object.   This is basically what is happening to our canal network.  It doesn't make the detractors inherently anti social, they are merely suggesting that there will come a point when too much access destroys the innate appeal of the canals.

It's not about "us" and "them", even if it comes across like that, it's about maybe just thinking for a minute where all this is heading.  I agree we can't say canals are just for boats and that's that, but I think if you accuse people of simply being selfish it is slightly missing the point. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, chubby said:

I find all this antagonistic " us and them "'a bit tragic really . Looking for a row where there isn t one . All this " worm danglers " & other phrases etc . 

So some people might not understand " the point " of fishing . So what ? Whats the point of going between A & B in a narrowboat ? Really - do ask yourself . What is the point ? 

The point is - you enjoy it . Why do they go fishing ? They enjoy it . Theres no " point " to either activity beyond the idea that it is pleasurable . 

Your boat is in the water . The fish are in the water . Where do u suggest they go fishing billingsgate f****** market for chrissake . 

" Me me me " -  21st centurys Britains mantra , now to be commonly heard on the canals aswell as every where else . 

What bollocks - so u have to go a bit slower than usual & cannot get a favoured pub etc .

" But sir .... sir - i pay more than he does .., " - what a pathetic attitude . 

The fact some folk dont understand the attraction of  fishing doesn t mean they should whinge ( & it IS whinging - nothing more ) about them

. Fishing is pointless , stamp collecting is pointless , model railway sets  are pointless , flying a kite is pointless . Going between A & B by narrowboat is pointless - except for the fact that it brings pleasure to those involved . Does there need to be any more of a reason than that ? 

Its promising to be a nice sunny day today - so why not stop bellyaching about other peoples chosen source of enjoyment and get on with your own . 

Me me me & whinging . Wow - well done folks , 

Do you feel better now?

I think you will find that most on here think live and let live so if they are out boating on a particular fishing day with a million miles of anglers and they want/need to moor up for any reason how do you expect them to do it? I can assure you there will be much moaning and worse from the anglers when an attempt to pull in is made by the boater. Half of them want you to stay in a chanel often non existant away from their sitting area the rest want you to do the opposite or stay in the middle with much gesturing. Have you never tried pulling up on a lock landing covered by anglers? I certainly have.

Well said mayalld I agree entirely. I always slow down for fishermen and try to engage with them but sadly most just totally blank me. If they do not acknowledge me (just a nod would be nice) by the time I am level with them then it's  full throttle and up yours I'm  afraid.

• Greenie 1

Goodness me

Ok . Im not lost as to why anglers will annoy boaters . Last time i was out i ended up tangling up a boaters lines cos he ignored me whilst i pulled into the lock landing he was sat on . He raised his voice . I told him to "F*** Off & sit back down " . Which he did & that saved me the job of doing it for him . 

He was a bell-end and deserved to be spoken to that way . So - yes i do know what an annoyance they can be . 

Most - in my experience are not . Most acknowledge my boat . Most give a little nod of appreciation as i slow down and steer away from thier equipment as much as is sensible or possible . 

Occasionally one will be a tit . It happens . I judge that person but not " anglers" . Hes probably at arse at home & at work too . 

I wouldn t suggest slowing right down to tickover either - just slowing down to a pace that the boater feels is a happy medium . If those taking part in the competition are unhappy - tough . Mayalid is correct to not slow to tickover . The anglers ought to be informed or  experienced enuff to know that boaters will slow down but not right down . 

The changing nature of canals is part of the reason i cannot stand the whole " us & them "'mentality  . We are all having to share them more and more & boaters are no longer ( if they ever were ) a priority . CRT are attempting to reach out to other users for publicity & ultimately more money .

A few days a year with having to be more courteous than usual isn t really a big deal is it in the grand scheme of things . Yes , maybe anglers could be more courteous in return ( maybe theyre just concentrating ... apparently its a " sport " !!! ) but that needn t mean boaters should get overly heated up . 

Id say . Slow down but not right down , wave occasionally , be friendly , try to appreciate that they are engaging in thier pastime as you are yours & you 'll done all you can and been completely reasonable . If they choose to be rude or ignorant then so be it . 

cheers 

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 1