Mushroom sleeving

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Advice please. What have members used to sleeve from where the mushroom vents terminate to where the internal grill fits. Due to battening and insulation there is quite a gap.

Iirc they fettled this on Blue Peter once using old Fairy Liquid bottles (unless that was the time they built a nuclear submarine) ;)

You can buy ready made liners but they are a horrific price, IMHO.

I have a vent to the engine room which is a section of plastic SVP which just slots into the mushroom vent 'ole it's exactly the right diameter on my boat.  If yours is the same size you could cut up a SVP into sections, a very cheap way of making liners.

We used plastic flower pots, greased them up then inserted the from the inside, from roof squirt builders polyfoam into the gap between pot and vent upright. Next day removed pot and trimmed excess foam then painted. Or if you prefer pot can be left in situ. Either way any condensation will be eliminated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 08:25, jddevel said:

Advice please. What have members used to sleeve from where the mushroom vents terminate to where the internal grill fits. Due to battening and insulation there is quite a gap.

Does this gap really need to be filled? is there any advantage to putting sleeves in? 

As mentioned above use plastic tube slit along the axis. If you have tube of slightly larger diameter than the hole in the ceiling, then it neatly expands to fit snugly, after compressing it and sliding it in.

Edited by IDS

4 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

YES! Without them (or something equivalent) I get significant condensation. On the metal edge of the vent hole.

There's nowt in mine and I don't have any such issues. My boat has a spray foam insulated steel roof. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

There's nowt in mine and I don't have any such issues. My boat has a spray foam insulated steel roof. 

Me too, but the tiny metal roof edge exposed by me cutting (not very expertly) the vent hole and disturbing the foam a bit created (in recent humid conditions) an inconvenient number of drips onto my as yet unvarnished oak veneered tabletop!