Wet vacuum

RichM

Featured Posts

I have spent hours this afternoon cleaning out my engine bay and fixed a fuel leak. 6 rolls of kitchen towels later, it's looking much better. Half the problem is that it's awkward to get to being a semi-trad. Someone previously recommended using a wet vacuum for this job. - Does anyone recommend these for this purpose?

Cheers

RichM

I use a wet vac it was cheap as chips from wickes. I use it to suck trapped leaves up and also in the bilges etc. Very quick and deffo saves a lot of peeing around. One other tip though if you dont buy a vac dont pee about with kitchen rolls etc just buy a pack of supermarkets own brand savers disposable nappies and lay them face down in the engine bay etc and leave them overnight then bin em next day, works a treat. Dont leave them in too long though or they self destruct.

1 hour ago, RichM said:

I have spent hours this afternoon cleaning out my engine bay and fixed a fuel leak. 6 rolls of kitchen towels later, it's looking much better. Half the problem is that it's awkward to get to being a semi-trad. Someone previously recommended using a wet vacuum for this job. - Does anyone recommend these for this purpose?

Cheers

RichM

I use a wet vac for removing water/oil from a bilge that is awkward/almost impossible to reach by hand. Remember to remove the filters and be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning it afterwards.

The first one I bought stated in the very brief instructions that it wasn't to be used in boat bilges but we reckoned that this only applied to petrol engines and ignored it. The latest version(£35 from Wickes) gives no such warning.

Tim

I have a calorifier drain valve which drains into the engine bay bilge. I used to faff around rigging up a piece of tubing to drain it into the bit where the bilge pump sits, but last time I just opened the valve and vacced it up as fast as it came out!

On 09/04/2017 at 19:37, RichM said:

Cheers

RichM

You could buy one of them things you suck oil out of engine/gearboxes, you know one of them vacuum pump thingies. like these. https://oypla.com/diy/automotive/4-litre-oil-fluid-extractor-fuel-pump-syphon-transfer-4l?gclid=COOnlo7ZmtMCFVdAGwodw8EHRQ