The best all round inverter charger to get?

Genty

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet your neighbours LURVE that!

Don't you find it tiresome/wearing/plain noisy having the engine running for so much time moored up? Or do you mean you cruise 1 to 4 hours a day?

In winter I charge for an average of 2hours a day, but this average is over the week.   It tiresome which is why I recommend to anyone living off-grid to seriously look at a built in diesel generator as these can be made "hardly noticeable".

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Genty said:

Thanks mate that's all I needed to know

No it isn't ;)

As just discussed on another thread, if you have a combined unit then it should be wired through its own dedicated isolator. If separates then the charger can be wired direct and the inverter through the existing isolator. Both fused of course. 

Edited by WotEver
Spillung

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

... if you have a combined unit then it should be wired through its own dedicated isolator.

I'd say "can be" not "should be". Ours doesn't have a dedicated isolator and I've never seen the need for one.

Arguments for an isolator: "what will you do when the inverter goes in fire and the fuse hasn't blown?"

Arguments against an isolator: "the device is left connected to the batteries 24/7/365, on shore power charging when the boat is unattended. If the inverter does go on fire without the fuse blowing, the probability of there being someone handy to switch off the isolator is very small. The probability of that person having the wherewithal to move in the opposite direction to the natural urge, brave the toxic smoke and switch off the isolator is minimal. So what's the point?"

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I'd say "can be" not "should be". Ours doesn't have a dedicated isolator and I've never seen the need for one.

Arguments for an isolator: "what will you do when the inverter goes in fire and the fuse hasn't blown?"

Arguments against an isolator: "the device is left connected to the batteries 24/7/365, on shore power charging when the boat is unattended. If the inverter does go on fire without the fuse blowing, the probability of there being someone handy to switch off the isolator is very small. The probability of that person having the wherewithal to move in the opposite direction to the natural urge, brave the toxic smoke and switch off the isolator is minimal. So what's the point?"

I agree with you 100%. However a sharp-eyed BSS inspector might not ;)

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It's not a BSS failure for the charger/Combi to be wired directly to the battery (via fuse).  This also includes solar controllers and other stuff that I can't instantly recall.

Edited by Robbo

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

No I disagree, the BSS allows for chargers and other devices designed to be permanently connected, to be so connected. Our Combi's installation instructions shows it connected direct to the batteries (via a fuse) and it is thus installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. All Hudsons are wired thus (with one or two exceptions at owner's request) and I've never heard of a BSS issue with it.

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It's not a BSS failure for the charger/Combi to be wired directly to the battery (via fuse).  This also includes solar controllers and other stuff that I can't instantly recall.

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No I disagree, the BSS allows for chargers and other devices designed to be permanently connected, to be so connected. Our Combi's installation instructions shows it connected direct to the batteries (via a fuse) and it is thus installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. All Hudsons are wired thus (with one or two exceptions at owner's request) and I've never heard of a BSS issue with it.

I stand corrected :)

Finally the BSS has got something right!

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I stand corrected :)

Finally the BSS has got something right!

Just for clarity, here's the BSS list of items that don't have to go through the isolator, and it specifically mentions inverter/chargers, ie Combis.

IMG_0579.PNG.5198c45e6282d9268b3ccd344b50f37c.PNG

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I bet your neighbours LURVE that!

Don't you find it tiresome/wearing/plain noisy having the engine running for so much time moored up? Or do you mean you cruise 1 to 4 hours a day?

I dont have any neighbours on the moorings. Its all a compromise isnt it though you knacker your batteries by not charging enough whilst I wear an engine out quicker though I doubt I will need to change it. I have an ultra smooth very quiet engine and you probably have some noisey old fashioned clunky crap? My bro in law has a noisey crappy old engine but uses a Honda silent gennie to charge his batts but it aint realy that silent. My cheapies are still going and the sun is improving them :D

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I dont have any neighbours on the moorings. Its all a compromise isnt it though you knacker your batteries by not charging enough whilst I wear an engine out quicker though I doubt I will need to change it. I have an ultra smooth very quiet engine and you probably have some noisey old fashioned clunky crap? My bro in law has a noisey crappy old engine but uses a Honda silent gennie to charge his batts but it aint realy that silent. My cheapies are still going and the sun is improving them :D

Your forgetting his new whispergen! 

20 minutes ago, Glynn said:

If going for a Mastervolt inverter/charger, which model would you recommend for the 2500Kw area ?.

Depends entirely on what you intend use it to power! It seems you can choose between the 2200w or 3000w ones. What the most power-hungry appliance you want to run? And remember that if it involves a motor, the actual peak power needs may be significantly greater than the badged consumption.

4 hours ago, Glynn said:

If going for a Mastervolt inverter/charger, which model would you recommend for the 2500watts area ?.

Well I have the Mastervolt 2500/100 which is a 2500 watt inverter and 100 amp charger. That model is discontinued now, but a look at their website will show their current models for you to choose from.