Ribble Link

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

This is our fifth crossing of the link in our 31year old boat with its 40 year old engine.

We left Tarleton about an hour before high tide. The wonderfully knowledgeable Harry Mayor was on hand to tell us about the wind and weather and other useful advice.

The prior internet booking was very easy with good follow up replies and reminders.

We travelled alone which I was very happy with because with our 22hp engine in a 57 ft boat means we take it steady plus I knew the route.

The C&RT van was parked looking down the Ribble to guide us into Savick Brook and after a short wait on the first pontoon, where we had lunch.  We waited for the water level to drop a little to get under the Lea Gate bridge.

There were four staff to assist us. , two of whom were volunteers, on hand to help us through all the locks onto the main Lancaster canal. Wonderful help!

The crossing took two hours and then a further three hours or so took us up the nine locks. Another excellent day.

If you ever get the opportunity do give it a go. Lifejackets and a decent anchor are a good idea plus having confidence in your boat. 

• Greenie 1

I think a lot of people push too hard after hearing horror stories...although Harry was slightly skeptical about our JP being up to it but we made it with no problems. Cooling I think is the main issue but I just left the CH pump going with the rads on to wick heat from the calorifier to be safe. 

As you say it's a well worth trip. Let's hope no breaches this year!!  

Yes, you're right about not rushing. Even going across slowly as we do there seems to always be the usual half hour wait on the first pontoon as you pause until the water drops enough in Savick Brook.

Harry at Tarleton is a typical dour Lancastrian with a good sense of humour though and he enjoys his job as keeper of the sea lock. He is generally really positive about the Link and really hopes as many as possible will make the trip. It is well within the capabilities of any reasonably maintained narrow boat and wide beam.  It's simply the crew needs to have confidence in themselves.

20170409_110757_001.jpg

Only done the Link once (in each direction) Going up we were warned that we might have to divert to the basin overnight which indeed proved to be the case. However, we were slower (for all sorts of reasons) than the rest of the convoy and by the time we were close to the dock the controller(?) was giving us quite a strong message to hurry up. Once inside the first gates ee thought that our problem was solved until we were further reminded to make haste to get through to the second gates. We soon saw why! Pity it was not explained in advance . . . 

It was a great experience.