Big Trip

Angela962

Featured Posts

I am very excited to be setting off on a trip later this month and wondered if I could get any tips or advice before we go.

We will be setting off from Crick, via Leicester to Burton on Trent To Stoke on Trent

then via Maccelsfield canal to Huddersefield (not yet booked passage through Standedge)

then on to Leeds, Skipton, Blackburn, Manchester, Crewe, Wolverhampton, then Warwick and home

Longest trip I will ever have attempted. I will be checking the CRT for stoppages but if there is any local knowledge available to be shared I would love to hear it

The wonderful canal planner tells me this will take 35 days but I  intend taking longer to enjoy the countryside

Thank you

Angela

NB Network Explorer

Time permitting, plenty of out-and-back detours suggest themselves. You could do the Selby, the Shroppie up to Chester, and the Peak Forest in a couple of days each. The Llangollen would take a bit longer, I guess, and I don't know about the Caldon and the Weaver. I certainly wouldn't miss the Peak Forest if you're doing the Macc.

17 hours ago, Angela962 said:

The wonderful canal planner tells me this will take 35 days but I  intend taking longer to enjoy the countryside

Good idea! I'd estimate we usually cover about half that mileage in twice that time when we're cruising further afield, so remember that a plan is always a basis for change and perhaps be prepared adjust your aims and timings as you go.  Canal Planner is a good tool, particularly if you need to work out the minimum travelling time to get somewhere, but there's a world of difference in these extended exploration trips compared to cramming the maximum into a short holiday cruise. Your plan sounds great though and, whether you do it all this time out or just some of it, have a fantastic time!

@Pie Eater, thank you I have made a note of that closure on our map and now have a plan B in case the 24th May does not see the section open

@cuthound thank you! I will have to measure the boat's height above the water line, not a dimension that I have noted. The width is stated to be 6'10", which is exactly CRT's, must not be wider than, so here's hoping

@magictimeYes partic the peak forest bit looks very doable, I have noted all these suggestions on our plan, thank you!

@Sea DogYes, I agree, one of the reasons we bought a boat was to be able to do longer trips and explore as we go, but then I do like planning :-) 

On 4/7/2017 at 20:32, magictime said:

Time permitting, plenty of out-and-back detours suggest themselves. You could do the Selby, the Shroppie up to Chester, and the Peak Forest in a couple of days each. The Llangollen would take a bit longer, I guess, and I don't know about the Caldon and the Weaver. I certainly wouldn't miss the Peak Forest if you're doing the Macc.

The Peak Forest doesn't take long to do, but I would encourage anyone heading through Stoke to make a detour up the Caldon it is wonderful once you get out of the city, and beyond Cheddleton you almost feel like you're travelling back in time (in a good way).

The most challenging part of this trip is the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.  Standedge is no big deal though it is more like a cave than a tunnel.  But it's the short shallow pounds on this canal that can catch you out.  It's a good idea to measure the draught of your boat and have a way of judging the depth of water over the lock cills - paint a mark on your long shaft for example and if in any doubt check your boat will definitely clear the cill.  A few boats have come to grief.  Mooring spots aren't that plentiful either.  But it is a terrific experience and you do get a certificate once you get through the tunnel.