(quiet) radio whilst cruising

Robster

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd ask before I break some ancient CART rules....is it OK to listen to a radio quietly (like Radio 2 or 4 style) while steering your boat....

Usually I'm more into locking when we're cruising, letting someone else steer, but I broke my leg a few weeks ago, and whilst I'm well on the road to recovery, I'm not going to be walking the towpath to the next lock....., which means I'll be the one at the stern next week while my son and daughter do the locks.

I'm not talking ghetto blasting american rap, but I do like to listen to PopMaster on radio 2.....do people do this? Is it OK?

You could buy an earpiece (one ear only...).   But yes, what you propose is fine - the key is surely that you don't lose attention on the task in hand, nor distract other boaters -- so if you were sharing a lock with another boat I would turn it off

(there's a rule about this on the Thames, for obvious reasons, and there might be one on CRT river locks. Ditto stopping your engine in the lock).

I think a sensible volume that does not disturb the peace of those around you is acceptable. The trouble is you may need some volume to hear it over the engine. Personally I prefer not to hear other people's music playing (unless it's live), and I'm a musician! 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Robster said:

Just thought I'd ask before I break some ancient CART rules....is it OK to listen to a radio quietly (like Radio 2 or 4 style) while steering your boat....

Usually I'm more into locking when we're cruising, letting someone else steer, but I broke my leg a few weeks ago, and whilst I'm well on the road to recovery, I'm not going to be walking the towpath to the next lock....., which means I'll be the one at the stern next week while my son and daughter do the locks.

I'm not talking ghetto blasting american rap, but I do like to listen to PopMaster on radio 2.....do people do this? Is it OK?

I use earphones but only put one earpiece in, Bloothoooth ones mean that you do not need to be connected to the device

Tim

To me it all depends how long anyone else is going to have to listen to what they might regard as unwelcome noise. Mooring up next to another boat and expecting them to listen to your music all evening wouldn't be reasonable, but if you're only going to be within earshot of any given boater, angler, walker etc. for a minute or two as you cruise past, IMHO it would be equally unreasonable of them to feel hard done by. I mean, unless you were being truly obnoxious in terms of volume.

I was moored on the Leicester Line near the Welford Arm once, as it was just going dark. Very peaceful and quiet, then in the distance I heard what i thought was the "thump, thump" of a slow revving engine.

As it got closer it sounded less and less like a slow revving engine. Turned out to be a boat crusing with a "ghetto blaster" on the slide, which was playing the Stones "Sympathy for the devil" at full volume.

Amazing how far ahead the bass notes can travel.

44 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I think a sensible volume that does not disturb the peace of those around you is acceptable. The trouble is you may need some volume to hear it over the engine. Personally I prefer not to hear other people's music playing (unless it's live), and I'm a musician! 

Funnily enough, I don't mind so much if it's Test Match Special or The Archers say, but I also hate other people inflicting their choice of music on me.  

• Greenie 1

A former mooring neighbour in his 70s didn't move his boat often, other than for a five minute cruise to the sani station.  When he did that short cruise, he would usually take his massive hi-fi speakers from inside the boat, put them up on his roof and blast out old reggae tunes in a sort of one boat carnival parade through Brum.  If you need to empty your cassettes, why not make an occasion of it?

A few years ago we followed a "hippy widebeam" down the Devizes flight and it had a huge PA system speaker cabinet on the roof playing very loud music. The usual hoard of gongoozelers were very appreciative. Its a difficult one but I suspect a lot of canal visitors do come to the canal to see eccentric and unusual people behaving a little badly rather than serious old men obeying the rules.

................Dave

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Funnily enough, I don't mind so much if it's Test Match Special or The Archers say, but I also hate other people inflicting their choice of music on me.  

I must say that the worst music known to man would not pee me off as much as being inflicted with either the test match or the Archers .............yuk

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Robster said:

It is

Personally I hate it.  I don't see why I should be forced to listen to other people's choice of music (which is, obviously, always in poor taste as it is so rarely to mine). I detest it in shops and pubs as well.  On the water, sound travels for miles and you can hear someone's hatch top radio for a fair while before they arrive and as long again after they disappear.  To hear it over your engine, it has to be fairly loud, though it may not seem so to the driver, and most of us actually come out onto the water for peace and quiet, as, almost certainly, does the OP when not listening to his radio!

This is why god invented earphones.

• Greenie 2