Fending off boats with a pole

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, howardang said:

Regarding the boat not having fenders, it is actually required under the bye laws that boats  carry fenders to be used in case of collision withstructures, or other boats.

It has be a while since I read the bylaws. I recall something regarding having them onboard ready for imminent use. 

Edited by rusty69

53 minutes ago, howardang said:

I think there is more potential for damage using a boat pole, either to the boats or more importantly to the person using the pole.

Regarding the boat not having fenders, it is actually required under the bye laws that boats  carry fenders to be used in case of collision withstructures, or other boats.

Howard

I agree the person using the pole is placing themselves at risk, it's a last resort.

As for the second point that's interesting, AFAIK most hire boats don't carry fenders do they?

2 hours ago, Sammas09 said:

If you know it's the pole causing the damage for sure, I'd be going round giving the guy a bill for the repairs... There's too much of this around today on the canal, where I am there is boats moored on a bend. It has happened a lot recently where a boat travelling doesn't make the bend and collides with the moored narrowboats, which should not happen as there is plenty of room... These people that have just struck another boat then just continue on their way coming out with some excuse like 'oh the wind caught me, there was nothing I could do? ¿?'. If they had done that in a car they would be swapping insurance details, I don't see why it should be any different on the canal, damage is damage and it needs paying for... 

This depends entirely on the type of bend being moored on, if someone moors on a tight bend they deserve all that comes their way.

10 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I agree the person using the pole is placing themselves at risk, it's a last resort.

The trouble is, using a pole for anything but the gentlest of tasks is a risk, like most other common boating activities. 

37 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I don't even have a pole, got pinched over a year ago and never bothered to replace it, never needed it either.

Useful to have. We ran aground on a shallow bit of the Nene last year, managed to push off with the pole. The alternative would have been to Wade ashore with a long line. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

I don't even have a pole, got pinched over a year ago and never bothered to replace it, never needed it either.

Famous last words...

I said much the same, not having needed to use the pole for over three years, and then promptly got stuck in the pound below Gailey Lock :(

Fortunately I still had my pole.

Edited by cuthound
Brain fart

6 minutes ago, BWM said:

This depends entirely on the type of bend being moored on, if someone moors on a tight bend they deserve all that comes their way.

I remember appearing through a bridge on a bend and coming to halt when confronted by a boat coming the other way. The steerer of the other boat panicked, did everything wrong, hit my stationary boat and pushed me into a shiny boat MOORED ON THE TIGHT BEND, NEXT TO THE BRIDGE.

A lady emerged from the shiny boat and very loudly remonstrated with me, despite me pointing out the circumstances. In the course of the rant about this being her home, and everyone being so inconsiderate, she mentioned that this was 'the fourth time today' she had been hit!

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Famous last words...

I said much the same, not having needed to use the pole for over three years, and then promptly got stuck in the pound below Gayton Lock :(

Fortunately I still had my pole.

Its ok, I don't plan to go near Gayton lock :lol:

I too gave up carrying a long shaft years ago when I realised it was just for show.  

I recommend an eight foot steel scaffold pole, much more practical use and too heavy to get nicked. 

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

As for the second point that's interesting, AFAIK most hire boats don't carry fenders do they?

Every hire boat I have had, has had them.

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

For info, here is the wording of the relevant Bye law No  6 

Vessels to have fenders ready for use
6. Every vessel navigated on any canal shall have ready for immediate use proper fenders of suitable material and in good condition and the master of such vessel shall use such fenders whenever there is a risk of the vessel striking against any other vessel or against any wall, lockgate, bridge

However, I would suggest that not many boats - hire boats or not - carry suitable fenders. The pipe fenders or small diameter rope ones used when moored are of little use for damage limitation in cases of collision. Bow and stern fenders yes but not otherwise

Howard

Probably tempting fate, but the only time I can think of iain and I using a boat pole was when we went aground at the end of the leek branch. Completely our own fault as we ignored the signs about last winding hole and pressed on to the end, as one does :-) . We went aground on a lovely shallow bed of pebbles and despite moving the gas cylinders from the bows to stern, we had to use the pole to push us off.  The pole on Kelpie  would probably be pretty useless as it is a bit short but we think that is preferable to the multitude of poles our shared boat had. Some owners seemed to feel the need for at least two poles - at each end :-). 

haggis

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

Probably tempting fate, but the only time I can think of iain and I using a boat pole was when we went aground at the end of the leek branch. Completely our own fault as we ignored the signs about last winding hole and pressed on to the end, as one does :-) . We went aground on a lovely shallow bed of pebbles and despite moving the gas cylinders from the bows to stern, we had to use the pole to push us off.  The pole on Kelpie  would probably be pretty useless as it is a bit short but we think that is preferable to the multitude of poles our shared boat had. Some owners seemed to feel the need for at least two poles - at each end :-). 

haggis

I agree; I can't remember the last time we used a boat pole for anything, although I might very occasionally use the boat hook for recovering hats and so on  which end up in the cut. Our share boat has two poles - one is two short to be much use, and the other is there if a push is needed, but having a dreaded bow thruster, (and dare I say it a stern thruster as well!) it is very seldom needed.

Howard

3 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Its ok, I don't plan to go near Gayton lock :lol:

We havnt had or needed a pole for many years though we used one several times on our first boat due to inexperience. Having a nice shallow draughted boat does help though.

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

You had better sit down, Tim -- I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Ian I often agree with you old sport..............just not on one particular subject that we shall no mention here :D

35 minutes ago, haggis said:

Some owners seemed to feel the need for at least two poles - at each end :-). 

haggis

I'm Bi-Polar and have been on Venlafaxin for 8 years now, for 10 years before that they changed the meds every year, but Venlafaxin seems to work for me.  Apart from it doesn't stop the depression just removes the happy good times that seem to annoy everybody else! Typical <_<

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I recommend an eight foot steel scaffold pole, much more practical use and too heavy to get nicked. 

True ...... however being hollow they fill with water as you use them, then if you get a plug of clay in the end it stays full of muddy water.

Then when you lay it back on the roof all the muck runs out.

Guess how I know?

We have a old walking stick with a big rubber end for those occasions where we are having to reverse into our mooring with wind in the wrong direction.  We have maybe 8 inches between the boats at gunnel level and bending down in the gap between the cabin sides is not a safe option, so crew at one end and slowly reverse it can be done without grating against the downwind boat. I believe it is stupid to put any part of any human between two 15 ton hammers, I have seen a guy have his hand smashed (most bones broken, never regained full motion) between two 1 ton boats.

• Greenie 1

Hi all.

Like Frangar, I consider a long shaft a useful piece of kit. Most modern shafts are too short to be of real use, I wouldn't consider anything less than 16' to be sufficient. There are many occasions when such a bit of kit in the right hands can be really useful rather than gunning the engine to manoeuvre. On the rare occasion when I need to use it against another boat, I try to place it on a fender or on the hull, certainly never against the cabin side. Ropes, deployed sensibly, are another useful aid. I could go on.....

I was saddened to note the insurance claim mentality that appeared earlier. I've never subscribed to the  " Contact sport " mentality that  some adopt, I've always tried to handle boats without it being necessary.....without 100% success, I hasten to add. At one of the yards I regularly work in, staff always use ropes and shafts to move boats around, much easier in very tight situations.

The more I see of the modern mindset that typifies the boating scene, I'm not sorry that age and health issues don't allow much boating at the moment. It's a changed world, for sure......

Dave

• Greenie 1