Bridgewater Canal moorings between Stockton Heath and Preston Brook

Philip

Featured Posts

I need to leave my boat for a few days on the Bridgewater Canal due to engine problems and work. I know about having to pay for a temporary license if it goes beyond a week but I'm just wondering if it is safe to leave it on this section? Any parts of this stretch where it's best not to leave a boat unattended for a while? Like I say it's between Stockton Heath and Preston Brook I'm looking at.

Edited by Philip

Came along that stretch today, passed a boat with no bridgewater plates, and a crt licence dated 2015. 

It's all quiet here at the moment. You should be ok, when I came onto Bridgwater in November, i emailed them, had no issues, at all.

To be fair mine doesn't have a Bridgewater plate either. I didn't have much choice but to leave it here really, due to not being able to run the engine (so getting through Preston Brook tunnel isn't an option right now) and work commitments this week. Bow-hauling it nearly 5 miles was quite enough! Main priority at the moment is keeping it secure and not getting done by Peel Holdings, before we tackle the engine at the weekend. A suspected head gasket/overheating failure means it may not be a 5 minute job!

Edited by Philip

I'd be more inclined to leave it nearer to Stockton Heath rather than Preston Brook and would aim for somewhere like near the Red Lion at Moore near the winding hole. 

However if public transport is required I'd go for Stockton Heath itself, it's a town and so more regular and reliable public transport links, and handy for supplies from the various shops in town.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

due to not being able to run the engine (so getting through Preston Brook tunnel isn't an option right now)

Legging? Hitching a tow?

I once towed a broken down boat through Preston Brook tunnel. The lady owner's boyfriend had abandoned her and the boat when it broke down, and she was trying to get back to her home mooring at Preston Brook Marina. 

4 hours ago, Philip said:

To be fair mine doesn't have a Bridgewater plate either. I didn't have much choice but to leave it here really, due to not being able to run the engine (so getting through Preston Brook tunnel isn't an option right now) and work commitments this week. Bow-hauling it nearly 5 miles was quite enough! Main priority at the moment is keeping it secure and not getting done by Peel Holdings, before we tackle the engine at the weekend. A suspected head gasket/overheating failure means it may not be a 5 minute job!

I don't have plates either, wish you all the best. 

I have to go to Stockton Heath tomorrow, I noticed a belt on its way out this morning, have managed to get one, if you need a hand I will give you a hand bow hauling. I am going by car btw. PM me if interested.

Edit: Why do you think Head gasket failure ?

How far you away from Stockton Heath ?

What size boat, what engine ?

Edited by Pompey
To add questions

Thanks, we ended up going down to Stockton Heath to strip the engine down today. It's a Volvo Penta diesel, 40ft. I say it's head gasket failure, the strip down has revealed that the cooling pipes are blocked with crud, presumably built up over a while. We're going to give them a clean out first. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be much damage to the engine or cylinders, no evidence of cracks through overheating. It must have been getting very hot though because the cooling pipes were bone dry... Is mooring at Preston Brook not considered the best place? I did wonder whether the proximity of Runcorn new town gave problems.

I moored at Preston brook Thursday night, west coast mainline was my only issue. Very close to midland chandlers, but then you have thorn marine in Stockton Heath, who I went to this morning, your best bet in my humble opinion  

Sounds like you have it under control. Keep us posted

I've never had a problem tying up at Preston Brook. Only place i can get into the bank is opposite Midland Swindlers/Claymore. If you havethe option you're much better off going through the tunnel and mooring the other side of Dutton Stop Lock.