Strange pump cycling problem

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, hounddog said:

I opened this thread because I isolated the rest of the water system and the cycling still occurred.

I did this because I had examined the whole system and there is no water leak anywhere. 

I am willing to accept Bengo's and Whale's diagnosis. 

What about mine? Second post. 

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless you can guarantee that the PRV (f you have one) and the plumbing are not leaking I do not see how Whale can confirm its definitely dirt in a valve. All anyone can say is that there is a leak somewhere. Its a different matter if you are sure about plumbing leaks and the PRV.

Sorry to disagree Tony but if he had a leak downstream of the pump then isolating the input wouldn't stop the pump from operating as it does. Pressure would drop, pump would switch on and then keep running. 

Agreed, but I was commenting on the bland comment that Mr Whale had confirmed it was leaking valves when there was no indication of what the OP actually told Mr Whale. The whole thread shows leaking valves to be almost certain BUT that one post that could and will be read in isolation does not.

• 1 month later...

We have a sureflo domestic water pump. Throughout the day and night it cones on for ess than a second, I gather to bring the system up to pressure. I have checked for leaks,non found. I fitted an accumulator a number of years ago. I have never pumped any air into it since. Could it need a pump up? To what pressure? Can a bike pump do it? Will this cure of intermittent rumble?

The water system works okay in all respects bar this. Do I have a 'if it works don't fix it' situation?

Be kind all you ever so clever experts.

Martyn

On 2017-4-6 at 11:29, hounddog said:

I opened this thread because I isolated the rest of the water system and the cycling still occurred.

I did this because I had examined the whole system and there is no water leak anywhere. 

Good for you, its a pity more people don't try this when they are hunting a suspected leak, or maybe other boats are not fitted with isolating valves.:(

It looks like it was the valves, I renewed the filter and cleaned the valves (they are silicone rubber) which 95% cured the problem.

Unfortunately, after spending a little money the pump motor failed (might be the switch) so I replaced with a spare (someone in the shower!!)  and haven't got around to investigating yet. 

The motors are usually pretty reliable

If it IS the pressure switch, a knockoff 'square d' type external pressure switch can be had from Ebay for a bit more than a tenner, or about £20 for the real deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBO-water-pressure-control-switch-1-4-FEMALE-type-for-pump-vessel-tank-/182164705529

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBO-pressure-control-switch-1-4-MALE-type-for-fitting-pump-vessel-tank-water-/182162171789

The likes of toolstation should do some brass bits to adapt to a bigger BSP thread, say £15 all in with the switch.

Generally if the pump is new or the internal switch renewed, then fitting a decent car type relay between switch and pump is a good preventative measure.

Edited by smileypete
  • Greenie 1