Barrus shire thermostat info.

Featured Posts

My Barrus 40 has twin thermostats. Since I changed the engine coolant the calorifier isn't heating as well as it did. Also I have a feeling the engine temp is slightly lower than it usually is. Can't be sure on this as temp guage dial isn't a precise read out. As far as I know one stat should open at 71c to feed calorifier. At 82c second stat opens to cool engine. I think maybe the 82c stat has stuck open, hence over cooling the engine and reducing heating to the calorifier through the 71c stat. Might the above be correct? If so any pointers on how to find and remove the stats for testing/replacing please? Also good source and rough cost of new stat? Thanks in advance, Ian. 

As in the name coolant, it reduces running temp of an engine that water cant so if the coolant properties of your old coolant had reduced then the new lot might be cooling more, if its only happened since you changed it then I would think the stat is ok but you might have an air lock, shires are a bugger to bleed I have been told so not looking forward to doing mine.

Neil

52 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

As in the name coolant, it reduces running temp of an engine that water cant so if the coolant properties of your old coolant had reduced then the new lot might be cooling more, if its only happened since you changed it then I would think the stat is ok but you might have an air lock, shires are a bugger to bleed I have been told so not looking forward to doing mine.

Neil

Logic says airlock I agree. I have opened the joints at the calorifier and have liquid coming through but maybe I need to bleed some more, so to speak. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Did you do it with engine running, and is that the highest part of the system you can get to?

Neil

Yes with engine running. It is the highest part of calorifier I can get to. Highest part of system is an expansion tank. Have ran engine with cap off this as well. 

9 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Give barrus a call and ask for technical they are very helpful, i know they had problems bleeding the twin stats so i went for single.

Neil

Thanks. Spoke with a chap there today. Seems I just need to keep trying , trial and error sort of thing. 

Ian.