CAV diesel pump leak

jimfin

Featured Posts

I have a CAV diesel pump that is leaking some fuel.
It leaking at the housing that is fitted to the side of the pump and has the accelerator arm at one end and the stop arm at the other end.
I have had this off before and there are 2 "O" rings on the two shafts and 2 seals for the bolts that hold the small housing to the pump.
I have bought a seal kit before for this pump but it did not have the correct seals for this housing.
Can anyone help me get the correct ones?
Good pic of the pump housing in the picture.
post-17570-0-30852500-1458226168_thumb.jpg

Sorry I have no idea where to get kits.

Have you considered Dowty seals for the bolts and getting standard O-rings for the shaft seals?

I believe Nitrile or Viton are the materials of choice for diesel.

Are you able to measure them accurately?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I dealt with a leak on this housing, and it turned out not to be any of the rubber seals at all, it was the joint between the housing body and the insert into which the idle damper screw is threaded.  This insert, believe it or not, is glued into the housing, and the joint can and will fail sometimes.  You should make sure that this joint is not your problem before assuming that the rubber seals are the issue.

The cure in my case was to pull the housing off (already done by you), pull the damper screw out of the housing (if you note very carefully exactly how many turns it takes to disengage from the threads, you will be able to set it at the same damping setting when you re-assemble), pull the trottle/stop assembly out of the housing.  Having done all this, you will have the bare housing with no rubber seals still inside anywhere.  

At this point, my insert pressed out of the housing with minimal resistance.  You may need heat to help soften what glue is left in the joint.  Once the insert is out of the housing, clean the joint surfaces off carefully and thoroughly, and re-epoxy.  Doing the epoxy reset has to be done carefully to ensure that the joint gets filled with epoxy and stays that way.  I accomplished this by first off taping the inside of the housing at the lower end of the insert skirt on the inside of the housing so that excess epoxy can't get up to any mischief.  Then I applied a moderately generous layer on both the insert surface and the housing surface before inserting the insert into the housing.  This will cause excess to peel off both outside and inside., and ensure that air pockets or glue starvation does not happen.  Twist gently on the way in, and once seated, do not disturb.  I held the insert in place by squeezing gently to lock it in place while I cleaned up the excess both outside and inside.  Let the epoxy harden before doing anything further, then remove the tape and make sure that no excess got up to mischief inside.  On my job, I thickened the epoxy with fumed silica somewhat before using it.  I also, once the epoxy inside the joint was set, applied a thicker mix of epoxy, silica, and ground glass fiber to the top of the joint on the shoulder where the insert sits on top of the housing.  The pump has now been run for about forty hours, and it is absolutely dry.

As an aside, I also found that the housing into which the fuel return pipe threads was also leaking, and I solved that by applying an epoxy collar around the leaking joint, tapering it to the surface of the threaded insert and to the surface it is pressed into.  Again, after about 40 hours, the pump is now absolutely dry.

Just my experience for what it is worth...

Cheers,

Allan Edie

I have done two of these and in both cases it was the O ring. I am not suggesting that other things cannot cause it but in both my cases it was the O ring. I got my kits from Calcutt boats but it was a few years ago. http://calcuttboatsshop.com/

The other possible suppier would be ASAP supplies    https://www.asap-supplies.com/engine-spares-gearboxes/engine-spare-parts/bmc-leyland-land-rover-engine-parts/bmc-1-5-leyland-1500-diesel

Also have a look on Ebay