Montgomery Canal

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello.

looking through my Nicolsobs Guide for the above Canal I see that one part of is presently unnavigable. Is this still the case?

We are planning of venturing along the Monty soon, any information regarding this seemingly picturesque canal would be much appreciated.

taa mucho

Martyn

9 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

The Monty is navigable from the junction with the Llangollen to Gronwen Wharf.

You have to book passage with CaRT.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/montgomery-canal

Other isolated sections are of course navigable but not connected to this length.

Don't go with great expectations and you'll enjoy the Monty more. It's very nice, but hugely over hyped imho. I didn't find it particularly picturesque, there are certainly more picturesque stretches all over the system. It also may be a wildlife haven, but mostly for things you won't see and I'd be surprised if you don't see far more on your way there and back. It's quite peaceful, but no more so than many other places on the canal network. There are a couple of decent eateries, but one seems to be closed on more days than its open. I'd suggest that, rather than taking in its publicity and going in search of the 'holy grail' of the canal network, you just pop in on your way past and enjoy a pleasant little detour. 

• Greenie 1

Agree with the post above. But it is worth the detour. It will be spectacular once you can get to Welshpool! But in the meantime Frankton locks are very pretty and good moorings between the Aston locks and in the basin at the bottom of Frankton.

You only have to book 24hrs in advance. We loved it down there. Hired an open canoe from Canal Central near Maesbury to go to the end of the bit in water and surprised a restoration party slightly!! The Navigation at Maesbury Marsh is highly recommended (Brigdge 79). 

We draw 2ft 8in and didn't have much grief moving or mooring. 

The canal is restored to Pryces Bridge just past Gronwen Wharf. Last time I walked down there,stop planks were in under the bridge on the Knokin Road. . Anybody seen if they have been removed? No winding hole at Pryces Bridge.

I tend to agree with Sea Dog the first section is just plain boring, the best bit is the section from un-conected bit from Welshpool.

But you can get a bus with the wrinkles from the Queens head into Oswestry  

Took our third trip down the Montgomery last July and was very disappointed.  The overgrowth of reed and other flora, now seemingly much denser and "out of control",  means that there is virtually no where to moor and the views are severely obstructed by the vegetation.  There is good mooring at bridge 71 on the short branch off the main canal and then again at Queens Head where the food was OK.  Booking ahead wasn't a problem but there is precious little room for boats to moor while waiting for passage in the early morning. Nice to have made the short journey, but not by far our favorite canal.