inverting the inverter

Featured Posts

I want to move our inverter to a new position. I plan to move it from its prominent position on the cabin fore/aft bulkhead through 90 degrees to the rear bulkhead where it will be less unsightly and can be boxed in. However I intend to keep everything connected and because of the limited length of the cables I'll need to 'invert the inverter' in its new location. l just wanted to check this is okay re mount it effectively upside-down?

No idea, mine (Studer) can be mounted any way up, best you check on the manual.  However - depending on how powerful it is - they can have a lot of heat to shift and so will usually require adequate ventilation which it wont get in a little box.  Electronics do not like to get hot.

21 minutes ago, wobbly ollie said:

Good point...i never realised they get warm....

And the vent slots and internal components are usually designed for the airflow to cool everything down when it's the normal way up. I suggest asking the manufacturer/supplier. 

If it doesn't have any ventilation slots then I can't see any reason not to mount it upside down, it's not like the electrons will fall out :)

16 hours ago, wobbly ollie said:

Good point...i never realised they get warm....

A few assumptions -  The inverter is 95% efficient and is a 2500W inverter.  So at full output of 2500W it will consume about 2635W.  The difference between in and out being the heat lost inside the inverter.  So about 135W at full output.  Some older inverters from memory were more like 90% efficient so maybe 200W or so at full output.  Which is a fair amount of heat to get rid of. 

16 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

In that case it a 3kW inverter would be more like 600W - about the same as some small low power hair dryers.  Can't see that lasting long in an unventilated box:help:

Whichever way up it is ;)