Size of Internal Doors?

Featured Posts

I'm about to build the bulkheads either side of my bathroom.  It will be a walk-through diagonal style but need some advice regarding door size.  Can I find typical narrowboat door sizes anywhere - err no. Searched everywhere on forum and on Google.  A very few pictures but zero sizes.

I want the type that have the angled top half to accommodate the 'above the gunnel' slanting walls.  I'd ideally like to know the width of the top and bottom of the door and the distance between the closest wall and the door so I can work out how far over I need to build the bulkhead. I realise these types of doors are custom made to your sizes but if I can make it as easy and popular as possible it would help. I have a narrowboat.

Thanks Jono

Don't know about typical, but on my boat they are 17" at the top and 23" at the gunwale. There is also about 1/2" of wood framing between the wall lining and the door and the bulkhead and the door. There is also 1/4" quarter round wood as a stop around the door. Below the gunwale the door is the same width and the frame is bought out to meet it. Go with what feels comfortable to fit through if you are average, or above in size. Add a bit if you are smaller and you should come up with a sensible size door.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
spellilng mishtakes

Used a 4ft wide sheet of ply for the bulkhead, shaped to side of boat.  What's left was the space to walk through.  The door off the corridor into the bathroom is 22 inches wide.   Adequate for my fairly large frame.

18 minutes ago, dor said:

Used a 4ft wide sheet of ply for the bulkhead, shaped to side of boat.  What's left was the space to walk through.  The door off the corridor into the bathroom is 22 inches wide.   Adequate for my fairly large frame.

Just measured the bulkheads at their widest point on my boat and they are four feet! You have a good user name for this topic Dor.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies