Bow Thruster has no Thrust!

Featured Posts

OK, so I have an 8-week old sail away and it came with a Vetus BOW5512D bow thruster.

On the odd occasion I've used it I've ensured it was for short bursts and to mainly get me out of a tricky situation when the wind has picked up. All worked very well. For the past few times I've needed to use it, it's done nothing to help.

I can hear the engine going but no thrust.  It wasn't until a fellow boater commented yesterday that I've looked into it further.  It creates zero thrust, instead a few bubbles and a very slight churn of sedement. It certainly doesn't move the bow.

So, looking at the manual, I've either damaged a propeller blade or the drive pin has broken.  The outside of the thruster tube ends has grid bars and a sort of cowel hood at the top.  All fuses are ok and battery is in good nick (voltage tested).  The power gets to the motor fine, it's below water that I think is the issue. The photo is the thruster locker, I've removed the wooden cover from the top of the battery so you can see it all fully.

The hatch the thruster is in is floodable (once I've removed the battery). If I've sucked something in and broken the propeller or drive pin it's my fault so I need to fix it.  If I find the pin has fallen out and the blade is fine that's another matter but I need to investigate.

OK, many of you will likely say best thing for it to stop working, drive correctly, weld the damn thing up etc etc but I'd like to fix it. I'll call manufacturer on Monday but is removal and flood a relatively simple job, all be it a little stressful!  

2017-04-01 19.23.22.jpg

4 minutes ago, jono2.0 said:

OK, so I have an 8-week old sail away and it came with a Vetus BOW5512D bow thruster.

On the odd occasion I've used it I've ensured it was for short bursts and to mainly get me out of a tricky situation when the wind has picked up. All worked very well. For the past few times I've needed to use it, it's done nothing to help.

I can hear the engine going but no thrust.  It wasn't until a fellow boater commented yesterday that I've looked into it further.  It creates zero thrust, instead a few bubbles and a very slight churn of sedement. It certainly doesn't move the bow.

So, looking at the manual, I've either damaged a propeller blade or the drive pin has broken.  The outside of the thruster tube ends has grid bars and a sort of cowel hood at the top.  All fuses are ok and battery is in good nick (voltage tested).  The power gets to the motor fine, it's below water that I think is the issue. The photo is the thruster locker, I've removed the wooden cover from the top of the battery so you can see it all fully.

The hatch the thruster is in is floodable (once I've removed the battery). If I've sucked something in and broken the propeller or drive pin it's my fault so I need to fix it.  If I find the pin has fallen out and the blade is fine that's another matter but I need to investigate.

OK, many of you will likely say best thing for it to stop working, drive correctly, weld the damn thing up etc etc but I'd like to fix it. I'll call manufacturer on Monday but is removal and flood a relatively simple job, all be it a little stressful!  

2017-04-01 19.23.22.jpg

If your boat is only 8 weeks old, and, I presume under warranty, I would suggest that you would be better waiting to discuss with the builder/installer on Monday before trying to repair t yourself which might negate any warranty you have.

Howard

Just now, howardang said:

If your boat is only 8 weeks old, and, I presume under warranty, I would suggest that you would be better waiting to discuss with the builder/installer on Monday before trying to repair t yourself which might negate any warranty you have.

Howard

I wouldn't do anything before talking with the builder, don't worry.  

Just now, nicknorman said:

You say it churns the sediment and makes a few bubbles - so something is happening. Perhaps there is some debris /plastic etc that has got through the grill and is fouling the propellor?

I have a GoPro that is waterproof so I may put it on the end of a monopod tomorrow and go video fishing to see if grills are blocked or if I'm lucky, see if the propeller is still there.

Doesn't look like you have a weed hatch so you can get your hand on the prop. If the bars are welded on the end of the tube it is going to make things difficult.

The drive pin can't drop out as the prop holds it in place. The prop is held on with two self tapping screws. Without a weed hatch you could try laying on the bank and sticking a rod through the bars and seeing if there is an obstruction.

It's rare to draw a stick or something into the tube. I never have. Have a good scrape of the grilles with your boat hook, or reach over the bow. We did block one grille a few years ago in Burnley with some industrial pallet wrapping. Easy enough to clear with elbow grease.

If in doubt, you can also remove the thruster motor from the body. On my Vetus there are four Allen bolts,   lift it off and you will see a splined shaft. If you can turn this by hand, you've nothing stuck in the prop.

I noticed recent Collingwoods have these odd little cowls welded in front and above the thruster grilles. Not sure what the idea is, but they look a prime candidate for getting crushed over the aperture.

12 hours ago, MHS said:

When you measured the battery voltage, what was it? It doesn't take much of a voltage drop to cause problems. 

Yes indeed. These things draw around 350 amps so anything less than a fully charged healthy battery will cause problems.

12 hours ago, MHS said:

When you measured the battery voltage, what was it? It doesn't take much of a voltage drop to cause problems. 

I've just measured again after a nights battery rest and it's 12.9v.  I can't test it under usage as there is only me and I can't be at the stern and bow at the same time.

5 hours ago, jono2.0 said:

I've just measured again after a nights battery rest and it's 12.9v.  I can't test it under usage as there is only me and I can't be at the stern and bow at the same time.

So the battery looks ok. It's worth also measuring the voltage at the thruster itself. I once had the 250A fuse partially blow (hadnt known that was possible), so the thruster wasn't getting the required power.

If that's ok try removing the thruster motor as I mentioned above. It's a 10 minutes job if you have the correct size Allen key. 

Edited by MHS

8 hours ago, jono2.0 said:

What size cables have they used it the battery is at the stern and the thruster at the bows

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What size cables have they used it the battery is at the stern and the thruster at the bows

The battery is at the bow, adjacent to the thruster. Jono2 meant that he can't operate the thruster switch at the stern, and measure the voltage at the bow at the same time. 

8 hours ago, jono2.0 said:

No, but as a voltmeter only draws a few mA you can extend the  meter wires - bell wire will do!

the only problems I ever experienced with a Vetus BT was low voltage under load, which in my case resulted in chattering and burning of the silver contacts in the contactor fixed to the side of the motor.  Replacement bits from Albright International at a fraction of the cost of Vetus spares, easily specified, sourced and fitted.

17 hours ago, MHS said:

The battery is at the bow, adjacent to the thruster. Jono2 meant that he can't operate the thruster switch at the stern, and measure the voltage at the bow at the same time. 

Well you can, sort of. There is 4 pin plug on the bow thruster. Red is positive, black is negative and the other 2 are left and right. If you unplug and use a bit of wire to bridge from red to one of those two, the motor should run. The negative is on!Y to provide a ground for the status led on the control.

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 07:45, BruceinSanity said:

I noticed recent Collingwoods have these odd little cowls welded in front and above the thruster grilles. Not sure what the idea is, but they look a prime candidate for getting crushed over the aperture.

The OP picture is a Collingwood, I have one.

It will have welded bars at one end and bolted on on the other end of the tube to allow you to get at the screws on the prop. crap idea needs a weed hatch.

The reason they have the stupid cowl over the end of the thruster tube is because the tube is nowhere near as deep in the water as it should be, as defined in the handbook for vetus thrusters, it stops them sucking air, apparently. ha ha ha !! what I was told . More likely to try stop floating crap getting in, which it sounds like the OP has.

Mine works better with a full water tank than empty as its lower in the water.

I met a chap in skipton who had a lump of angle iron in his thruster tube, left in from manufacture !!!!! another Collingwood boat.

Bazza

5 hours ago, pearley said:

Well you can, sort of. There is 4 pin plug on the bow thruster. Red is positive, black is negative and the other 2 are left and right. If you unplug and use a bit of wire to bridge from red to one of those two, the motor should run. The negative is on!Y to provide a ground for the status led on the control.

The Vetus engineers have a control panel on a 1m cable to plug in, so they can do this easily. 

I'm pleased to say it's now fully working again.  It could be because of three possible reasons:

1. I've recently filled my water tank and it's lower in boat - I'm a sail away without a full fit out yet so it may be a little high in the water - as Bazza954 said above.
2. A blockage has become loose and released itself - woo hoo!
3. I've not used it for a few days despite sailing around so maybe the voltage was too low for it to fully do its thing but now it's tip top.

Thanks for all your help though.  I dread the day I have to flood the locker and take the propeller out!