Thames

Timx

Featured Posts

Wow having just come off the Thames, I am amazed travelling from Oxford to Reading there is so little mooring, I just about squeezed in at Wallingford and that's in March, lucky again to get in at Reading tescos, but wow wow what little mooring there is along long stretches of natural river saying no mooring,, Pangbourne struck me as saying if you have to moor here there's a bit of field over there. It just strikes me as "its all mine I own everything go away on the Thames" I will carry on as there are some fantastic views from passing and the occasional mooring our masters allow us, but I feel a bit shocked about it.

I agree, took my 70' boat from Oxford to Thames Lock last May and had a lot of aggravation with moorings - particularly in Windsor but elsewhere as well.

I would not object to paying if there were decent visitor moorings but I came away with the impression that the Thames was not for full length narrowboats.

Frank.

The 'lack of moorings' is due to the fact that the EA don't actually own the river bank, so moorings are in the "gift" (not) if the riparian land owners - who care not for any form of boater. Ultimately that means you will have to pay.

Because Continuous Mooring is becoming more popular, expect a rash of no mooring signs and that spoils if for everyone else.

We prefer to moor where it's quiet - no sound of running generators and there's plenty 'in the rough', but you have to be prepared to jump ashore and possibly tie to a tree.

Have a look at https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk  for a list of chargeable / free overnight/ and free moorings. It's a bit rough around the edges as it's a new site.

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

What about Goring and Abingdon? And the meadows at Pangbourne? We had no struggle with a 57ft narrow boat along this reach a couple of years ago. Sonning also has good moorings if you can't find anywhere in Reading. 

3 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

Plus many of the locks have overnight mooring for  a fiver

Most provide a 230 Volt supply as well,included in the Fee

On 4/1/2017 at 01:44, frahkn said:

I agree, took my 70' boat from Oxford to Thames Lock last May and had a lot of aggravation with moorings - particularly in Windsor but elsewhere as well.

I would not object to paying if there were decent visitor moorings but I came away with the impression that the Thames was not for full length narrowboats.

Frank.

What was the problem finding Moorings in Windsor?there is space for 30-40 Boats

If you are new to the river ask the lockies they are always very helpful.  There always seems to be somewhere at Abingdon, Days lock, Kings Lock, you can generally get into the side North of Wallingford though you might nee to do a bit of "gardening", there are other spots if you keep your eyes peeled and if you don't need to get ashore there are places where you can anchor if you have the technology.

It can be a bit disconcerting if you are used to canals, but finding a place to stop on the Thames I find is part of the fun. 

Oh and if you think the Thames is bad, don't ever go down the Avon.  

5 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Most provide a 230 Volt supply as well,included in the Fee

What was the problem finding Moorings in Windsor?there is space for 30-40 Boats

The stretch alongside the park? on the left going downstream was empty but no good for us as we are deep drafted and my jumping/plank-walking days are over. The dog would also have been a problem.

On the other side (by the spitfire) we just made it in but only because a cruiser moved up. The fact that it was bucketing down didn't help but made the cruisers gesture all the more noteworthy.

Leaving the following morning there were plenty of spaces in the lock cutting but this was marked "no mooring".

Frank.

My experience was you need to plan beforehand overnight stopping places  (and this forum gave some great advice).

Rather than a "no mooring sign" <which are everywhere> there should be a default no Mooring declaration on the Thames unless signposted "mooring available" ; this will reduce 80% signage!  :)

Unfortunately too many doss boats and chancers have forced the agenda to genuine boaters.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1