Inverter - Lidl £22.99

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The north/south divide is purely a widebeam thing. Narrow beams usualy do it all. My fav is the Trent and ouse and selby up to Ripon although I like the midlands and others. The prettiest is probably the L and L gargrave and the most over rated has got to be the Llangollen.

The bit from Chirk to LLangollen surely isn't over-rated; but the rest is a bit featureless. I guess the problem being you've got to do the rest because it's out and back.

1 minute ago, Bewildered said:

You may have trouble finding a cheap 240v tv with 12v transformer. I had a good look around Currys a few months ago and the TVs were either direct 240v or 19v.

12v TVs seem to be less available than they used to. I gave up and ended up buying a Cello, I just couldn't be bothered with setting up a 12v to 19v step up.

As far as I am aware all Cello TVs are 12 volt not just the traveller range. However my 22" only came with a mains to 12v transformer so you would still need to buy or make up a 12v lead if you wanted one of the larger models 

That might actually be easier. Laptop adapters come in 19v and they're regulated. There are some with multi-voltage outputs with various plugs but if you can identify the plug size you could get one to suit and eliminate the risk of setting the wrong voltage.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, stegra said:

The bit from Chirk to LLangollen surely isn't over-rated; but the rest is a bit featureless. I guess the problem being you've got to do the rest because it's out and back.

Yes there are some small good bits but those that rant about it when you meet them and say " What do you think to the Ripon" or ouse say going into York ( Fab ) they usualy havnt been and its quite suprising how so many people even with years of experience miss out the best bits.

24 minutes ago, stegra said:

I bought one of these a weeks ago to replace the fridge inverter in my motorhome. I haven't had much use out of it but first impressions were good. It made the old one feel quite agricultural. More expensive but pure sine wave. No complaints from it when the fridge kicked in, unlike the old one that bleeped and buzzed and made the lights go dim.

Thanks Stegra. It doesn't look much different to the one LIdl is selling (I know it's 200W more tho)

Just now, stegra said:

That might actually be easier. Laptop adapters come in 19v and they're regulated. There are some with multi-voltage outputs with various plugs but if you can identify the plug size you could get one to suit and eliminate the risk of setting the wrong voltage.

if you can get a 12v to 19v laptop transformer with the correct 12v plug on the end and if the transformer gave out enough current it will power the TV. However not all 12v plugs are the same even if they look similar; the TV may well draw more current than a laptop psu can provide.

far easier to bite the bullet and buy a 12v TV then you know it will work

21 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Which canals are you thinking of doing?  The north/south debate. (I'm firmly northern :))

My goal at the moment is to get past Fradley (in the middle), as I know there are locks there and apparently the crowds jeer you, so as it will be my first lock, I'm thinking if going in the dark!

46 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I got myself a cheap modified sine wave inverter, its running a normal 240v, 32inch, high definition TV. All works perfectly, measured current with the old multimeter and it draws just over 3 amps. 

My new (also very cheap ) solar system keeps batteries charged aswell which is great. 

Lidl are also selling a 6W solar battery maintainer for £29.99

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The north/south divide is purely a widebeam thing. Narrow beams usualy do it all. My fav is the Trent and ouse and selby up to Ripon although I like the midlands and others. The prettiest is probably the L and L gargrave and the most over rated has got to be the Llangollen.

So if I get to Fradley, which way should I head?

3 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

My goal at the moment is to get past Fradley (in the middle), as I know there are locks there and apparently the crowds jeer you, so as it will be my first lock, I'm thinking if going in the dark!

Olive one little tip. If you havnt been to Fradley before and its your first locks go and look at the layout before you get there and suss it out. you will find it easier that way.

3 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Lidl are also selling a 6W solar battery maintainer for £29.99

So if I get to Fradley, which way should I head?

Each way. Fradley is fab so needs doing several times :D

19 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

You may have trouble finding a cheap 240v tv with 12v transformer. I had a good look around Currys a few months ago and the TVs were either direct 240v or 19v.

12v TVs seem to be less available than they used to. I gave up and ended up buying a Cello, I just couldn't be bothered with setting up a 12v to 19v step up.

As far as I am aware all Cello TVs are 12 volt not just the traveller range. However my 22" only came with a mains to 12v transformer so you would still need to buy or make up a 12v lead if you wanted one of the larger models 

Or might my  Cello TV be fixable???

Just now, OliveOyl said:

Or might my  Cello TV be fixable???

If you can find a TV repair man these days, I suspect bench time for repair will out weigh the cost of a new one.

this is now a disposable society, not much gets fixed anymore.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Olive one little tip. If you havnt been to Fradley before and its your first locks go and look at the layout before you get there and suss it out. you will find it easier that way.

Each way. Fradley is fab so needs doing several times :D

Not fair, give me a pointer - which way has fewest locks?

Just now, Bewildered said:

If you can find a TV repair man these days, I suspect bench time for repair will out weigh the cost of a new one.

this is now a disposable society, not much gets fixed anymore.

You're probably right Bewildered, I just hate waste.

Have you put a meter on the socket that powers the TV, it might just be a blown fuse on the boat?

Yep, and my multim eter says 12.7 volts so I know it's the TV. Strange thing is though, it hasn't got a plug on it.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Coventry B)

That means me going backwards??? Away from Fradley n'est-ce pas?

1 minute ago, OliveOyl said:

Yep, and my multim eter says 12.7 volts so I know it's the TV. Strange thing is though, it hasn't got a plug on it.

So it is hard wired. Did you put the meter across the plug that jacks into the back of the TVs to make sure it isn't the lead?

So it is hard wired. Did you put the meter across the plug that jacks into the back of the TVs to make sure it isn't the lead?

Que? Can you explain please as I am not very electrical.

Just now, OliveOyl said:

Que? Can you explain please as I am not very electrical.

There doesn't appear to be a lead . I found an Amperor lead and tried that but nothing

The 12v Jack plug that actually plugs into the back of the TV should be a small round tube. The hole in the middle should be possitive the outside metal edge should be negative.

if you put the red probe in the hole and hold the black probe to the outside metal you should read 12v if you swap the probes over it should read -12v 

doing this will prove 12v is actually reaching the TV 

if the meter reads nothing then it could be a faulty lead from were it is wired in to the TV 

you then need to measure across were it is wired in to make sure you have 12v there

When doing this take care not to touch the probes together whilst they are in contact with the plug

3 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

The 12v Jack plug that actually plugs into the back of the TV should be a small round tube

It is dangerous to give this advice without knowing the type of plug / socket.

Several brands of 12v TVs do use this type of plug - but - many others use different types. The 12v TV on one of my boats has a circular 5 pin (Din Type) connector and it came with that 'as new' straight out of the box.

3 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

The 12v Jack plug that actually plugs into the back of the TV should be a small round tube. The hole in the middle should be possitive the outside metal edge should be negative.

if you put the red probe in the hole and hold the black probe to the outside metal you should read 12v if you swap the probes over it should read -12v 

doing this will prove 12v is actually reaching the TV 

if the meter reads nothing then it could be a faulty lead from were it is wired in to the TV 

you then need to measure across were it is wired in to make sure you have 12v there

When doing this take care not to touch the probes together whilst they are in contact with the plug

Thanks Bewildered, I'm hoping to go to the boat tomorrow, so I will give it a try.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Several brands of 12v TVs do use this type of plug - but - many others use different types. The 12v TV on one of my boats has a circular 5 pin (Din Type) connector and it came with that 'as new' straight out of the box.

She has already stated it is a Cello so I suspect it is a standard Jack like my Cello

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Alan, don't worry. It is an old (currently not working) TV and I'm pretty sensible. I just like to learn from all the expertise on here,but am mindful that it can vary and of my own safety.

1 minute ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks Bewildered, I'm hoping to go to the boat tomorrow, so I will give it a try.

With regard to what Alan just posted. If the plug isn't a barell type with a central hole and outside metal shieth or if it has several pins don't connect the meter. 

With regard to what Alan just posted. If the plug isn't a barell type with a central hole and outside metal shieth or if it has several pins don't connect the meter. 

OK B, thanks

29 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Alan, don't worry. It is an old (currently not working) TV and I'm pretty sensible. I just like to learn from all the expertise on here,but am mindful that it can vary and of my own safety.

Yeah. If the probes from the multi-meter don't fit in very well, just lick the end to test it. :D

That's a joke by the way. Don't do that, it only works on three phase 415v