Kennet and Avon

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, I will be approaching Reading tomorrow and after Tesco at midday , I will be going onto the Kennet, can I ask where is the best place to stop after Reading, and is there anywhere advisable not to stop. I have done from Newbury to Bristol a few years ago but not Reading to Newbury. A good pub or country setting, either will suit after two or three hours from Reading, but will go further if advisable. I have decided to come back on the Thames when the weather will be a bit warmer and less windy,it has been my first time on Thames and think I will enjoy it more when it is warmer and less windy so I want to get off it and past the Kennet whilst the weather is still reasonably good.Thanks for any opinions,I see from past posts the Kennet can be a bit scary ,!

The Cunning Man is not my favourite pub, its a sort of mass production eatery, but its generally regarded as the first ok place to stop above Reading. There is a big bad housing estate not too far from Fobney lock and so stopping anywhere before the Cunning Man carries a small risk of trouble. No visitor moorings at the Cunning Man so it means mooring on pins on the flowing river but its moderately deep and not difficult. There are also visitor moorings just above Theale Swing bridge (Sheffield Lock) but I have never investigated the pub there which might be a bit of a walk.

Another other option is to push on and get to Aldermaston but the Kennet locks can be evil so best not to be doing them in a rush at the end of a long day.

................Dave

Thanks Theale has ok moorings I presume.? I know winter moorings stop soon, but not in time? But gives me another possibility thanks, think I am going to start earlier and do a long day

On 29/03/2017 at 17:08, Timx said:

Hmm thank you,yeah reasonable moorings are important 

Once you get on the Kennet your perception of what counts as a 'reasonable mooring' shifts a gear downwards. 

Make sure you have a gangplank. You'll be learning rapidly how to use it!

(TWO gears downwards actually... :) )

Made it through,lovely nice day, so Thames from Pangbourne was a lovely stretch, and Kennet very tame apart from being windy after first lock.Got to those traffic lights and thought I could jump off on to a landing to press button, but as wind was pushing me other way found it impossible,so after a couple of attempts got blown to other side, then after pressing button to go from red to green , after about two minutes it changes back to red,grr .Rang crt who was relating my story to someone else then relating answers back like Chinese whispers, could get no sense so went ahead on red, and all was fine.Lovely stretch of canal/river I must have read only bad things as all I saw was good,nice moorings at pub as advised and nice moorings at Theale ,all excellent and thanks for all advice