Somerset Coal Canal- bridge initials

Heartland

Featured Posts

Patrick,

I have been going through Gordon Biddle's photos, and there are several of the SCC from the Locomotive & General Railway Photo collection, all taken  in 1951. The collection was originally put together by Charles Clinker, and is now at the National Railway Museum.

Sure that reads SCC in that image? Looks more like 800 to me, and I do wonder if there should be a 1 in front of the 8 due to the spacing. This would clearly be a reference to the building date of the canal - 1800. But I might be wrong.

10 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Sure that reads SCC in that image? Looks more like 800 to me, and I do wonder if there should be a 1 in front of the 8 due to the spacing. This would clearly be a reference to the building date of the canal - 1800. But I might be wrong.

I'm inclined to agree - although I'm also trying to think what was actually being built on the canal in 1800. It looks a rather elaborate bridge portal, which I'm guessing has disappeared in the half century and more since the photo was taken.

The image of the intact bridge may be on the main line- but the initials appear to be on a bridge where the bridge hole was in infilled- hence the belief it was on the branch to Radstock

The 1883-1886 6in Wiltshire Ordnance survey show this area

Midford.png

The infilled bridge may also have been on the main line - the Radstock branch served as a canal for only about five years whereas the Main Line managed over 90 years. Cuttings on the main line were sometimes infilled for a variety of reasons, getting rid of railway spoil when the GWR took over, and disposal of domestic waste, so by the 50's a number of lengths had been affected

20 hours ago, Heartland said:

The reference is accommodation bridge at Midford. There is an image showing another bridge there, at Midford

78225.jpgud

I'm pretty certain that's Southstoke "accomodation" bridge, which carried the towpath over the canal near the junction with the Radstock Branch. The first few hundred yards of the branch remained in use to the end, crossing an aqueduct to serve a  tramway interchange basin, the main line towpath switched sides to avoid a bridge over the branch