BBQ

Johny London

Featured Posts

Well the BBQ season is nearly upon us and I expect that the shops will be bringing out plenty of BBQ's over the coming weeks. I'm wanting one of course, and was thinking about the most suitable type for a boat.

I don't mean gas vs charcoal - I'm already firmly in the charcoal camp - but I was thinking about what style would work best on a nb - and if one should ever be used on the decks or if only on the bank. So I'd like your views please :)

Also - can anyone post here if they spot any bargains over the next few weeks?

thanks!

Burning charcoal generates a lot of CO.  People have died in tents from CO when using a disposable BBQ, and a tent appears to be well ventilated - but isn't.  So I would never use charcoal on deck.  If you do use one be very careful where you put it after cooking as it could continue to smoulder for hours, giving off CO.  Are you sure you will not consider a portable gas BBQ?

I got one of these free when I bought some camping gear.  I thought it was a joke, but five years later it is still proving to be one of the best bbqs I've owned.  Perfect for two.

Always on the bank.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/camping-cooking-stoves/outwell/easy-camp-bucket-grill-pd-8329.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvm_yCTTE_1_cab2gNaQvpxEN_BP6PJKOrJFMCmXFo40aAmxg8P8HAQ

4 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Burning charcoal generates a lot of CO.  People have died in tents from CO when using a disposable BBQ, and a tent appears to be well ventilated - but isn't.  So I would never use charcoal on deck.  If you do use one be very careful where you put it after cooking as it could continue to smoulder for hours, giving off CO.  Are you sure you will not consider a portable gas BBQ?

If its gas then its a gas cooker surely? a barbecue has either wood or charcoal on it and is a different way of cooking. So called gas barbecues are realy exterior gas cookers and an obscenity ;)

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If its gas then its a gas cooker surely? a barbecue has either wood or charcoal on it and is a different way of cooking. So called gas barbecues are realy exterior gas cookers and an obscenity ;)

Agreed.

30 minutes ago, OldPeculier said:

I got one of these free when I bought some camping gear.  I thought it was a joke, but five years later it is still proving to be one of the best bbqs I've owned.  Perfect for two.

Always on the bank.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/camping-cooking-stoves/outwell/easy-camp-bucket-grill-pd-8329.php?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvm_yCTTE_1_cab2gNaQvpxEN_BP6PJKOrJFMCmXFo40aAmxg8P8HAQ

We have a very similar one. It's a few years old now and we've twice bought replacements, only to go back to this one. Last year, we bought a foldable BBQ from Midland Chandlers in Braunston and confidently chucked our old one into the skip by the water point. Tried out the new one that evening and had to detour back early the next morning to rescue 'Old Favourite' from the skip. We won't part with it again.

12 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

We have a very similar one. It's a few years old now and we've twice bought replacements, only to go back to this one. Last year, we bought a foldable BBQ from Midland Chandlers in Braunston and confidently chucked our old one into the skip by the water point. Tried out the new one that evening and had to detour back early the next morning to rescue 'Old Favourite' from the skip. We won't part with it again.

We have found that the folding ones are not all of the same quality. We had one for four years that was great and often used as a bonfire after the BBQ was over. Threw it away as e couldn't be bothered to clean it.

The replacement lasted 1 use before falling to pieces.

We have now got a better one again which is the version in my previous link.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

gas barbies with lava rock are the bees knees.

5 hours ago, rasputin said:

be  careful barbecues get very hot you may burn yourself

can you suggest a cool one to avoid the problem?  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

gas barbies with lava rock are the bees knees.

But ones without the lava rock such as the absurdly expensive and mystifyingly popular Cadac are nothing more than glorified tar boilers. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It's not the charcoal that gives barbecued food its characteristic flavour, but the smoke from the fat and juices that drop onto the burning material.   For this reason, a gas barbecue is not just a gas cooker.  Although it has to be said that it needs to get the rocks hot enough, and not all do.  Wood smoke will impart flavour, but when bebecuing you are using near-pure carbon rather than wood.

On 29/03/2017 at 11:07, Johny London said:

Well the BBQ season is nearly upon us and I expect that the shops will be bringing out plenty of BBQ's over the coming weeks. I'm wanting one of course, and was thinking about the most suitable type for a boat.

I don't mean gas vs charcoal - I'm already firmly in the charcoal camp - but I was thinking about what style would work best on a nb - and if one should ever be used on the decks or if only on the bank. So I'd like your views please :)

Also - can anyone post here if they spot any bargains over the next few weeks?

thanks!

Hi Jonny! 

Huge BBQ fan here and I cook on mine a hell of a lot! 

If you want a decent high quality grill then look at anything by Weber. 

Their stuff is fantastic and lasts ages! And the aftersales is second to none! 

Yes, they're more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for here. 

And one essential accessory for a charcoal grill is a chimney starter.....its the best and fastest way to start your coals! 

And ALWAYS use outdoors.....dont bother if its windy or peeing down with rain! ;)

15 minutes ago, metal_snapper said:

Hi Jonny! 

Huge BBQ fan here and I cook on mine a hell of a lot! 

If you want a decent high quality grill then look at anything by Weber. 

Their stuff is fantastic and lasts ages! And the aftersales is second to none! 

Yes, they're more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for here. 

And one essential accessory for a charcoal grill is a chimney starter.....its the best and fastest way to start your coals! 

And ALWAYS use outdoors.....dont bother if its windy or peeing down with rain! ;)

This is what I've gone for now, Weber with chimney starter, large kettle at home and small kettle on the boat. Problem is i keep buying extra bits, hopefully get the new rotisserie attachment running this weekend.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

This is what I've gone for now, Weber with chimney starter, large kettle at home and small kettle on the boat. Problem is i keep buying extra bits, hopefully get the new rotisserie attachment running this weekend.

Hahaha! Yep, you can get a bit carried away with those accessories! I have a 57cm kettle and a 47cm smokey mountain cooker and a few 'extra bits' ;) 

The rotisserie is flippin' brill! My mate has one but this is a pricey attachement! I cook all my chickens 'beer can style' in my kettle and always get very yummy results! :D but the rotisserie aint just for chickens only ;) 

My eventual boat design will be able to store these. :) 

Got one eye on the Go Anywhere from Webber, looks small enough to stow away but big enough for two....

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/go-anywhere-charcoal/

My bro has the larger one with the chimney starter, bought it on the boat last year and we found a quite spot on the Ashby, was great but not something I could justify having on the boat everyday.

2 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

What model weber would you recommend for the boat bearing in mind storage when not used, they seem to vary in price right up to over £400.

Neil

We have the Weber Smokey Joe on the boat and a small chimney starter. Big enough for two but small enough to keep out of the way.