Installing new batteries

Sisco n Pu

Featured Posts

On 29/03/2017 at 13:26, Robbo said:

Not in this case tho, the crimp and bolt method is a much better method of securing cables than a screw threw the cable method.  I've seen plenty of old cars where the battery cable has come loose or come away at this connection.  With a boat you have a very large amount of amps and a good number of connections  just waiting to be freed which are also are not fused so if one came loose it can cause issues.

Yes totally agree with the potential for those clamps to go wrong, but this is the BSS we are discussing. I don't think the BSS should be mandating good practice. The safety aspect here is marginal at best.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes totally agree with the potential for those clamps to go wrong, but this is the BSS we are discussing. I don't think the BSS should be mandating good practice. The safety aspect here is marginal at best.

Disagree, the issue is to reduce the risk of fire.  I read somewhere that the second cause of most boat fires are electrical with stoves been the first.

They also don't go wrong, they are wrong in the first place as they do cut the strands.

Edited by Robbo

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In that case you no doubt support the banning of stoves and electricity from boats, as they are the No1 and No2 causes of fires.

You're replacing one type of connection for a much better one with no loss of anything.  Removing stoves or electric to make a boat safe and you lose a lot of benefits that they bring.

On 29/03/2017 at 14:40, Robbo said:

You're replacing one type of connection for a much better one with no loss of anything.  Removing stoves or electric to make a boat safe and you lose a lot of benefits that they bring.

I disagree. If I use a battery terminal like that, that's my business and it will work fine because I will use it correctly. The BSS has no business forcing me to use something else. The loss is my BSS ticket. 

Anyway I can't see from the photo but maybe you can. The cable inside the clamp might have been made compliant by tinning it. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. If I use a battery terminal like that, that's my business and it will work fine because I will use it correctly. The BSS has no business forcing me to use something else. The loss is my BSS ticket. 

Anyway I can't see from the photo but maybe you can. The cable inside the clamp might have been made compliant by tinning it. 

Even if used correctly it damages the cable, that's why it shouldn't be used.   BSS is there to enforce safety and this is a safer method of connecting cables to reduce the risk of fire.   The current fueling incident was a result of fire and damaged surrounding boats and property so it's not just your loss if it happens.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah so that petrol fire was started by an incorrect battery terminal then?

We don't know, but it was a fire caused by an issue on one boat (what ever that was) that caused damage to another.  Therefore it's a loss to not just the person who may have had a dodgy BSS issues on his boat that thought it would only be his loss if anything happened.

Ofcourse we don't know yet what the issue was that caused the fire.

Edited by Robbo

I think you need to keep a sense of proportion. 

My money is on there being NO records of that type of battery terminal ever causing a serious boat fire, let alone the fire spreading to neighbouring boats.

It's just some bloke in an office steering a desk who thinks banning them (at no cost to himself) is a good idea.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you need to keep a sense of proportion. 

My money is on there being NO records of that type of battery terminal ever causing a serious boat fire, let alone the fire spreading to neighbouring boats.

As I said electrical faults are the secondary cause of boat fires and have spread to neighbouring boats as well.   It's not daft to have a system where poor cable connections are reduced.   As said above there are plenty of amps in our batteries that can easily heat up cables and start a fire.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In that case you no doubt support the banning of stoves and electricity from boats, as they are the No1 and No2 causes of fires.

Waterways World magazine once ran a statement in their April edition a few years ago,  stating that multifuel stoves were to be banned . Caused quite a furore as I recall. :D

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The old one got contaminated with engine oil maybe?

They seem under the impression that the alternator was the reason their old batteries never got above 11 volts.

I think they will be very disappointed when the new batteries get to 11 volts also!

14 hours ago, Sisco n Pu said:

I'm trying to install new batteries. My old batteries only ever put out 11volt 

i tried yesterday but stoped. Please see my diagrams to help me know where to bolt the ? Wires to the new batteries. (Not accurate diagram drawn from memory)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd prefer ask them to do something really stupid 

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

And you should wire your battery bank from diagonally opposite corners like this:

batt_new.gif

and not from one end like this:

batt_old.gif