RCD cable requirements

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Eeyore said:

Interesting that there has been no mention low smoke zero halogen LSZH (sometimes called low smoke halogen free LSHF) cable types. Thought the boat safety scheme would have something on the subject; or have I missed it (again).

You've missed nothing. BSS just speaks of wires being correctly sized and securely terminated. RCD says much the same but notes the wires must be labelled in some way. Neither standard mentions insulation type in any way  

I was surprised too. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

You've missed nothing. BSS just speaks of wires being correctly sized and securely terminated. RCD says much the same but notes the wires must be labelled in some way. Neither standard mentions insulation type in any way  

I was surprised too. 

I'm not, LSHF cables are usually specified either where there lots of cables (and hence potentially lots of smoke, for example data centres) or lots of people.

They are not routinely specified for domestic properties or leisure boats, although if I were specifying my own boat I would because the additional cost would be minimal.

I was once required to use LSZH cable for some kit I was building that was going to be temporarily installed in an aircraft for flight testing.

Never heard anyone else asking for it before or since.

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

I was surprised too. 

11 hours ago, cuthound said:

I'm not, LSHF cables...

I'm not surprised that LSHF cables aren't dictated, I'm surprised that there is NO specification for cabling whatsoever. Nothing about PVC vs Rubber, nothing about tinned cores, nothing about wall thickness... nothing at all. 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I'm not surprised that LSHF cables aren't dictated, I'm surprised that there is NO specification for cabling whatsoever. Nothing about PVC vs Rubber, nothing about tinned cores, nothing about wall thickness... nothing at all. 

The important stuff like tensile strength, stranding, insulation voltage rating is specified as is appropriate chemical resistance for specified locations, would have been simpler to have just required "cable to ISO????" but it must be remembered none of these documents are written for amateur use.

• Greenie 1