Running engine etiqeutte

sniffy

Featured Posts

I had a panic while cooking. I thought I had spilt something on the stove and set fire to it. A quick look showed no signs. Then I realised the overpowering smell of burning rubber had come from a narrowboat that had just passed by. I would not like to be living near where that one was moored if it ran its engine!

You may not realise how far the noise from your engine carries. I walk along the canal on my way home from work, often passing several moored boats. Some of them have their engines running. They're usually pretty quiet, but I walk up the hill to our rented house, three or four minutes from the canal, go out in the back garden and I can hear the engines, which sound far louder than when I walked past them. If we have the living room windows open in the summer, we can hear if any boats have their engines running. No, we didn't buy a house by the canal, we rented a house in a town we didn't know at all - we didn't know till we'd moved in that there was a canal, let alone that we were only a few minutes walk from it. No, we're not complaining, just saying...

On 29/03/2017 at 15:00, Victor Vectis said:

Where does it say this?

From Licencing terms and conditions, page 22:

4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must behave considerately towards others (boaters and non - boaters alike) and in particular you must not:
(b) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people.
We do not intend this Rule to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring.

I can't see anything in there giving you carte blanche permission to create an engine noise nuisance in the daytime.

In fact the bit I highlighted suggests to me you must never cause a nuisance to others by running your engine, whatever the time of day or night.

You'll be arguing next that it's fine to run your engine at midnight provided it is only for heating the hot water!

Well it is provided I was 'moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people'.

I suppose the moot words in all this are 'you must behave considerately towards others'.

Pity there isn't an obligation for householders who live by the cut to behave considerately towards those of us in boats.

44 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Where does it say this?

4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must behave considerately towards others (boaters and non - boaters alike) and in particular you must not:
(b) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people.

Where does it say that? In the bold bit of course. 

Or.....

With over 2000 miles of waterways, why do you have to moor outside my house to run your engine/genny/music/practice trombone etc etc.

Of course sometimes it's unavoidable, but if it can be avoided, why not. Everybody smiles.

Rog

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hmmm I can see your point then in a 45foot boat but bro in laws is 67 feet ( minus the stupid tug deck ) and only two berth so he didnt need to save 2 feet. He is a shortass though :D

I would never have another cross bed. I am only 6ft tall but as I sleep fully stretched out, my head and feet were wedged under the gunwhales. The times I banged my head! I ended up sleeping diagonally, much to the annoyance of my wife. :D

5 minutes ago, Edders said:

I would never have another cross bed. I am only 6ft tall but as I sleep fully stretched out, my head and feet were wedged under the gunwhales. The times I banged my head! I ended up sleeping diagonally, much to the annoyance of my wife. :D

Yes they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in reality. But would you have another boat with a " Bus " engine or is it going to be another " Van " engine THIS time? :D

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in reality. But would you have another boat with a " Bus " engine or is it going to be another " Van " engine THIS time? :D

I would love another "bus" engine. That make of engine was used in the X class midget submarines so there is some boating heritage there. ;)

3 minutes ago, Edders said:

I would love another "bus" engine. That make of engine was used in the X class midget submarines so there is some boating heritage there. ;)

Youll be baaaaaaaaackkkk :D

8 minutes ago, Edders said:

4LK, then? Or another model from the same manufacturer? As a railway enthusiast I'm pleased that mine (another model from the same manufacturer) spent many years powering a narrow gauge railway locomotive.

Hudswell Clarke made the flameproof, 100HP locomotives used underground in coal mines.

They were fitted with 6LW engines.

They made a wonderful noise going up the 1 in 15 gradient at the end of the shift!

The ones at Hatfield were 2ft gauge, and they are still there, entombed half a mile underneath Yorkshire.

:(

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Hudswell Clarke made the flameproof, 100HP locomotives used underground in coal mines.

They were fitted with 6LW engines.

They made a wonderful noise going up the 1 in 15 gradient at the end of the shift!

The ones at Hatfield were 2ft gauge, and they are still there, entombed half a mile underneath Yorkshire.

:(

If you like the sound of Gardners, listen to this 6LXB in a Bristol RE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfG5smemLQ

Only just caught up with this thread. Going back to Macclesfield, to be fair there is a problem by the old waterpoint mooring. The curved washwall means that any moored boat has its baseplate aground on the washwall and the houses alongside have cellars. So the engine rumble transmits through the ground, into the sounding space of the cellar and fills the house.

It's the one place where I think the signs asking you to turn your engine off are justified.

We had the same problem at Stockton heath..the guy was really nice about it and explained that for whatever reason the noise travelled and the noise in the house sounded as if I was running the engine in his house. He even asked me to come ànd listen. It was awful and I could understand him wanting the engine off. But to be fair he told me when he was off out and suggested that would be a good time to use it.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

The CRT Terms and Conditions do not allow you to run your engine between 8 am and 8 pm when moored, regardless of the impact on anybody else.

What the licence terms do say is that you may not  run any electricity generator, including your boat's engine, between 8pm and 8am except where you are out of earshot of other people.  It is a big leap to assume from this that outside the hours of 8pm to 8am you are allowed to annoy anybody within earshot. In particular the terms also require you to behave considerately towards others (boaters and non-boaters alike) and not do anything which will cause damage or nuisance to any other person or their property. 

9 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Where does it say this?

The CRT Licencing Terms and Conditions are silent on the specific point as to whether you can run your engine during the daytime to the annoyance of others.  So in that respect they are of no help in deciding whether it is or is not permitted to do so. You cannot assume that just because it is not prohibited it is specifically permitted. Reading the requirement in context it is clear that it is not permitted, since the point is covered by the more general requirement to behave considerately and not to cause nuisance to any other person (whether that nuisance is due to you running your engine or from any other cause).

Edited by David Mack

We moored thaxted at Newbury in 1999 and had hardly tied( to the rings) when an obnoxious individual fell out of a house so new the paint had barely dried. She stated please leave we don't need your sort here. I was looking slightly dodgy at the time admittedly donkey jacket, soggy jeans and Dms. I looked her up and down and said what sort is that then? Oh you water gypsy's. I said to her very calmly, how do you know  my wife isn't a Dr and me a  nurse consultant on holiday?.  At this point the level of abuse escalated and she told me she would call the police if I didn't move. I mentioned the mooring rings mooring signs and still wet paint on the rabbit ( rabid hutch) in an endearing fashion. She returned to the hutch. The next morning her neighbour ( an elderly lady) came out as we started the engine, and said what a lovely noise and could we hang around while she found her camera... You can't win.

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

. You cannot assume that just because it is not prohibited it is specifically permitted.

Silence implies consent. That is, of course, not the same as condoning inconsiderate behaviour.

On 30/03/2017 at 07:34, Athy said:

Silence implies consent. That is, of course, not the same as condoning inconsiderate behaviour.

Agreed. Silence implies consent, but the same regulation specifically states inconsiderate behaviour is an offence.

So running an engine when you know it is annoying a householder is contrary to the T&Cs. So this attitude of 'stuff 'em all, I can run my engine in the daytime as much as I like', is not OK.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed. Silence implies consent, but the same regulation specifically states inconsiderate behaviour is an offence.

So running an engine when you know it is annoying a householder is contrary to the T&Cs. So this attitude of 'stuff 'em all, I can run my engine in the daytime as much as I like', is not OK.

That's exactly what I said, yes. For example, buses have signs on them informing passengers that smoking is not allowed on board. They do not have (at least, not round here) signs informing them that playing radios on board is not allowed. So, if someone is playing a radio quietly through headphones, that is fine; but if they're blaring out heavy mental music from a ghetto blaster, that will annoy people and should not be permitted.

Listening to the Test Match should, of course, be permitted at all times.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

The CRT Licencing Terms and Conditions are silent on the specific point as to whether you can run your engine during the daytime to the annoyance of others.  So in that respect they are of no help in deciding whether it is or is not permitted to do so. You cannot assume that just because it is not prohibited it is specifically permitted. Reading the requirement in context it is clear that it is not permitted, since the point is covered by the more general requirement to behave considerately and not to cause nuisance to any other person (whether that nuisance is due to you running your engine or from any other cause).

OK < adopts devil's advocate mode >

Mr Angry buys a house by the canal.

I moor my boat outside said house. I am not running my engine, burning anything, playing loud music etc.

Mr Angry asks me to move as I am spoiling his view.

By staying put am I behaving inconsiderately ?

(This happened a few years ago, house second along from the lift bridge (yes THAT one!) above Lapworth Top Lock)