Running engine etiqeutte

sniffy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

Currently, I'm moored in Alrewas.  I'm just up from the river lock on the VMs.  I also just bought a new genny and that's exciting for me because i can now do some washing.  I'm around my boat all day tomorrow so will be wanting to run the genny for that purpose.  I'm not opposite any houses but close enough that they'd hear.  When I moored up, there were no visiting boats, but there are now and there's permanent moorings opposite.  Should I run my genny tomorrow?  Maybe, maybe not.  I could move on to somewhere quieter, but if I do that, I'll be on the river level which doesn't appeal to me since it's on yellow boards.  I could go on even further to Barton Turn but there'll be other moored boats etc there.  Also my partner is coming over tomorrow afternoon and expecting me to be at Alrewas.  

The really odd thing about Alrewas, one of my favourite villages, is that the 14 day bit is in the centre, opposite some houses, and the section where you are is furthest away. I've tied by the bowling green before now, had to run the engine and noticed that you can hear it (and it's a well silenced Beta 43) from the far side of the footbridge, Hangmans Bridge. It would be much better to have the long stay bit at the wharf where you are. Or you can stop above Bagnall, of course, if there's room.

OT, but how's the river level there?

22 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

The really odd thing about Alrewas, one of my favourite villages, is that the 14 day bit is in the centre, opposite some houses, and the section where you are is furthest away. I've tied by the bowling green before now, had to run the engine and noticed that you can hear it (and it's a well silenced Beta 43) from the far side of the footbridge, Hangmans Bridge. It would be much better to have the long stay bit at the wharf where you are. Or you can stop above Bagnall, of course, if there's room.

OT, but how's the river level there?

The river level was a bit up on the yellows last time I checked.  I'm planning to move tomorrow afternoon so hopefully it will be ok.

All the visitor moorings are still 14 days, until tomorrow, when they revert to their seasonal restrictions.

Back to the Original Question, you can avoid all this debate if you get yourself a "hospital" silencer and point the exhaust right astern.  If I wanted to I could run my engine all day long, no-one would hear it.  Actually you really need to be a trad stern as well. 

On 30/03/2017 at 12:27, Dave_P said:

We mods float above the unseemly awarding of greenies.  Ours is a higher purpose.

Ah so THAT'S what they are telling peeps these days they think are susceptible to volunteering as mods...!

:lol::lol::lol:

Doesnt it depend on the efficiency of the silencer and also wind direction and other ambient conditions? Sometime low frequency diesel can produce a hefty thumping resonance maybe against the armco and echoing in a tree shrouded cutting, and dependant on engine revs set. I consider my beta42 and exhaust system vrry efficient and like said, fishermen dont here me coming, but i,ve walked a distance from the boat moored, charging batteries, and can detect that resonance but only on still air evening occasions.

If the complainant was nice enough i,d explain my situation and if i couldnt comply i,d probably feel inclined to move on a bit further. I dont need the agro of someone banging on the boat or doing worse mischief cos i pissed him off. Live and let live.

• Greenie 1

But also i remember a boater mooring just a tad from my bow and running engine for some time with exhaust coming in my front doors on a nice warm evening. I didnt even ask him to shut it off, as i assumed he needed to charge his batteries, why else would he want to run the engine ? I closed the door. Took my guiness and cheese n marmite sandwhich to the stern. Tasted just as good !

But then, on another occasion, a boat crewed by two guys moored so close in a tight situation, their stern lines crossing my bowlines, my bow button touching their stern button, i sat watching tv with the doors open and said two guys sat on the stern for at least an hour, just feet away, chatting loudly, laughing, on the mobiles, until finally i did lose my rag and pretty sternly asked if theyd give me a bit of peace and move to their bow for the rest of the party. They werent too happy but complied. A bit later they pulled up stumps and moved away from the miserable old codger behind. Ah!  Sometimes you just have to stand up.

• Greenie 1