Running engine etiqeutte

sniffy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

OK < adopts devil's advocate mode >

Mr Angry buys a house by the canal.

I moor my boat outside said house. I am not running my engine, burning anything, playing loud music etc.

Mr Angry asks me to move as I am spoiling his view.

By staying put am I behaving inconsiderately ?

No, you're being considerate. You are enhancing his view and providing stimulus because, instead of the same old grass, water and houses, he now has a pretty boat to look at.

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

OK < adopts devil's advocate mode >

Mr Angry buys a house by the canal.

I moor my boat outside said house. I am not running my engine, burning anything, playing loud music etc.

Mr Angry asks me to move as I am spoiling his view.

By staying put am I behaving inconsiderately ?

(This happened a few years ago, house second along from the lift bridge (yes THAT one!) above Lapworth Top Lock)

This is the point where the man on the Clapham omnibus turns up, and resolves the issue.

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What's a 'Test Match'?

Obviously you aren't a follower of sport. It's England's most important summer sporting event, not to be missed if humanly possible. No longer on telly, but has comprehensive radio coverage.

In recent years, international rugby games have also been called test matches, but I'm not sure if this has always been so.

I'd say Mr Angry is behaving 'combatively'. A whole level or two up from inconsiderately.

And you are responding in kind. But he has placed you in a no win situation. Your alternative is to move off, thereby teaching him 'combative' works. Which it usually does until you meet someone with the same combative nature.

Another approach is to win him over to your point of view with a combination of calm reasoned debate and sweet talking. This is something politicians are particularly good at. 

On 30/03/2017 at 09:07, Athy said:

Obviously you aren't a follower of sport. It's England's most important summer sporting event, not to be missed if humanly possible. No longer on telly, but has comprehensive radio coverage.

I know that really, but honestly, listening to a test match??!!

That's akin to watching an LP by your favourite band of the minute.

But WHY moor right outside someone's house in the first place?

Why does one persons wishes have to take priority over another?

Considerate mooring removes ALL issues, ' nipping it in the bud' as it were.

If I remember correctly, on the specific mooring site you mention, there are places to moor in both directions, within yards of the houses, where no conflict could occur.

Rog

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not in the slightest. The radio remains stationary.

My Dad used to have the T.V. on with the sound turned off, and the commentary on the radio, as the radio commentary was always far superior to the television one.

When I lived in Sussex, I used to listen to Brighton's football match on Southern Counties Radio every Saturday. Are you suggesting that this is unusual behaviour (apart from my choice of team, I mean)?

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

At the risk of dragging the thread further off topic, listening to the test match is a rather amusing yet surreal and somewhat meditative experience and one which I'd expect boaters to understand fully.

Because the Test lasts so long and there's long periods where little happens, the commentators tend to veer off into long whimsical reveries and reminiscences and the whole programme falls into a kind of slow and deeply relaxing rhythm.   Very much like a boat trip.  When I've not been boating for a while and I first set off on a long trip, I can feel a bit impatient at first because my brainwaves are still bouncing along at a 21st century pace.  After a few hours or a day or so, I settle down into that lovely place where time slows right down and I just relax.  The Test match on the radio is the only form of broadcasting I know of which does this.

It's very unlikely that anyone acquiring a  house by a canal would take an instant dislike to boaters, but it is entirely understandable that their view might be affected by a few unfortunate experiences.  When you see home made signs by the towpath saying no mooring, there is almost certainly a damn good reason why that person has been driven to such a course of action, I can imagine any number of misdemeanours.  

I used to think how surprising that people who seem to hate boats and boaters would buy a house by a canal but there are so many inconsiderate people on the canals these days it's easy to see the context if you look for it.  

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

It's very unlikely that anyone acquiring a  house by a canal would take an instant dislike to boaters, but it is entirely understandable that their view might be affected by a few unfortunate experiences.  When you see home made signs by the towpath saying no mooring, there is almost certainly a damn good reason why that person has been driven to such a course of action, I can imagine any number of misdemeanours.  

I used to think how surprising that people who seem to hate boats and boaters would buy a house by a canal but there are so many inconsiderate people on the canals these days it's easy to see the context if you look for it.  

This is possibly true in some cases but equally - person sees idyllic cottage in estate agents window, buys cottage in winter after viewing when no boats were around.  Moves in and find boats mooring outside and running engines fairly often.  The reality doesn't match with the expected peaceful idyll.  Is it reasonable that the buyer hasnt done their homework?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

To add another layer of weirdness,  I don't follow/understand cricket but I used to love listening to the test match special whilst I did various repetitive jobs in the greenhouse

18 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

To add another layer of weirdness,  I don't follow/understand cricket but I used to love listening to the test match special whilst I did various repetitive jobs in the greenhouse

This is my point.  The enjoyment of listening to the test match has nothing to do with cricket.

On 30/03/2017 at 10:31, Dave_P said:

This is my point.  The enjoyment of listening to the test match has nothing to do with cricket.

Yes I understood your point from your previous explanation. I'll give it a try!

Does it still work listening to recordings of old test match specials? Or is something lost in it no longer being a live broadcast?

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does it still work listening to recordings of old test match specials? Or is something lost in it no longer being a live broadcast?

I've not tried that.  Maybe some further research is needed.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

P.S. I'll back in a while. I'm just watching 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath on my record player...

I used to listen to Electric Ladyland whilst staring at the sleeve for hours....

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think it works because its a quintessential almost painfully English tradition,  that can require almost no concentration but acts as a background rumble to normal everyday tasks, with the occasional moments of outstanding humour

46 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I've not tried that.  Maybe some further research is needed.

I used to listen to Electric Ladyland whilst staring at the sleeve for hours....

I can't give you a greenie, is that because your a mod?

..............Dave   

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Im not really a cricket fan but listening to cricket is surprisingly pleasant and even better if done at a live performance. Find a village cricket match on a sunny day, have a couple of beers and lie down on the grass a little way away with your eyes closed.

............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Im not really a cricket fan but listening to cricket is surprisingly pleasant and even better if done at a live performance. Find a village cricket match on a sunny day, have a couple of beers and lie down on the grass a little way away with your eyes closed.

............Dave

Funnily enough I have tried that, everything was right,  sunny day, good friends, a few beers, bit of decent snap and a good book for the dull bits. (Apparently it was some sort of international England v NZ friendly)

Well in the end it wound me up so much, far too dull to watch and the crowd kept getting excited about obscure bits of the game it put me off the book :)

I gave up and.spent a happy day wandering around Wellington

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

............Dave

...but not at either of the Cow Corners (these are where the mighty heave of the brawny but unskilled batsman will deposit the ball if he happens to hit it. There are two such corners, diametrically opposite each other). A cricket ball lustily struck, being 5.5 ounces of hard, stuffed leather, can give you quite a thwack.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What's a 'Test Match'?

There is a mind numbingly boring game called " Cricket " it is mind numbingly boring to watch ( think snooker on a black and white tv but worse ) and therefore beggars belief that it can be listened to on the wireless but it seems this is a fact.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a mind numbingly boring game called " Cricket " it is mind numbingly boring to watch

How does this game, unknown to me, differ from the absorbing, skilful, often exciting game, also called cricket, which I have followed for decades?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

How does this game, unknown to me, differ from the absorbing, skilful, often exciting game, also called cricket, which I have followed for decades?

I dont know? maybe you are pissed when you watch it and your mind plays games? :D