How heavy is a BMC 1.5?

Siba7

Featured Posts

I have bought a replacement - same engine - and I'm going to hoist the old one out an put the new one in.

Never moved an engine before.

Wondering if a 1 ton chain block is enough or 2 ton ? or more? I have no idea.

Going to have to build some kind of frame as well.

Can anyone share their experience?

thanks

The BMC handbook for the 1.5 engine quotes the weight of the basic unit as 186.4 Kg or 410 lbs.

That is not specifically for a marine version, so will certainly not include gearbox, and I'm guessing may also exclude starter motor and alternator.

7 hours ago, peterboat said:

More than enough I am taking mine out soon to replace it with an electric motor and fully expect 4 people to carry it out with ease

I guess it depends on your definition of "with ease".  I would no longer find lifting a quarter of the above figure, (so over 100lb), "easy", and depending on where it needs lifting from, (and through), unless you have 4 fit athletic types, I can't see it being an easy lift.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

The BMC handbook for the 1.5 engine quotes the weight of the basic unit as 186.4 Kg or 410 lbs.

That is not specifically for a marine version, so will certainly not include gearbox, and I'm guessing may also exclude starter motor and alternator.

Or the bulk ring on the flywheel or the exhaust manifold but as most on 1.5s are alloy it might be lighter than the cast iron automotive one.

I think a 1 ton hoist shoudl do but please ensure your lifting strops are in good order and strong enough. If, by chance, your 1.5 has lifting eyes on the rocker cover studs please do not use then, strop the engine properly. I say this having  seen the injuries caused when a BMC petrol A series (that is lighter) snapped a rocker cover stud during a lift.

17 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I guess it depends on your definition of "with ease".  I would no longer find lifting a quarter of the above figure, (so over 100lb), "easy", and depending on where it needs lifting from, (and through), unless you have 4 fit athletic types, I can't see it being an easy lift.

Its a broads cruise Alan the engine lives in the bathroom! I fitted a rayburn in a friends boat last year 300 kilos 2 of us did it, its all down to science............................and brute force

Edited by peterboat

53 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its a broads cruise Alan the engine lives in the bathroom! I fitted a rayburn in a friends boat last year 300 kilos 2 of us did it, its all down to science............................and brute force

Wow...respect SIR!

Ian.

7 hours ago, Neil2 said:

As a guide, Graham Booth's Narrowboat Builders Book listed  a marinised BMC1.5 with gearbox at 524lb.  

That's handy info - thanks

7 hours ago, Neil2 said:

As a guide, Graham Booth's Narrowboat Builders Book listed  a marinised BMC1.5 with gearbox at 524lb.  

That's handy info - thanks

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or the bulk ring on the flywheel or the exhaust manifold but as most on 1.5s are alloy it might be lighter than the cast iron automotive one.

I think a 1 ton hoist shoudl do but please ensure your lifting strops are in good order and strong enough. If, by chance, your 1.5 has lifting eyes on the rocker cover studs please do not use then, strop the engine properly. I say this having  seen the injuries caused when a BMC petrol A series (that is lighter) snapped a rocker cover stud during a lift.

Thanks for the warning Tony!

7 hours ago, Bee said:

You should be able to 'walk' it up a stout plank if you have room, I managed to do this with a BMC 2.5 but it depends on how much space you have.

Did you do that alone?

24 minutes ago, Siba7 said:

Did you do that alone?

Yes, not because I was a hero but it there was no room for lots of people, in fact it came out of the back of a van, down the plank, along 25 yards of towpath, up a plank and across 5 or 6 feet of water and down into the engine room. shortly after that I did quite a lot of it the other way round when I discovered a crack in the block, a worn out crankshaft and 3 pistons of one size and a fourth of a different size with little bits of piston ring embedded in it. I can laugh about it now.... Just be careful not to drop it and remember the sump is only thin metal and the drain plug might be vulnerable.

17 hours ago, peterboat said:

More than enough I am taking mine out soon to replace it with an electric motor and fully expect 4 people to carry it out with ease

Peter ffs keep it in there mate................electric motor ...................:lol::lol:

9 hours ago, ianali said:

Wow...respect SIR!

Ian.

Second one I have done I have a baby blue on in my boat which I fitted the year before.

To make it worse I have another one to fit in my new boat [I really like Rayburns such great value for money]

Some 1.5s were supplied with the B type gearbox. All cast iron and steel, huge thing, especially if it has a reduction box. I would not take too much notice of any weights quoted here for those. I would take the gearbox off   before trying a lift with one of those. However we are talking the 1960s and a big manual gear lever so unlikely to be on a more modern boat.