Requirements Thames Teddington to Brentford

Lizzy

Featured Posts

I have read a number of threads on here about this, but most of them were a few years old and some links don't work anymore. Therefore I need to ask: what are the current requirements for a narrowboat on the tidal stretch between Teddington and Brentford?

- I read that VHF is not required if you don't venture below Brentford?

- Nav lights not required if you only cruise by day?

I've got a (massive and never used) anchor. Will buy a life vest. But that's about it unless I need any more? Do I need to check with my insurance?

I've got a 42hp engine, that will hopefully let me beat the tide into Brentford lock!

I am planning to travel north from London on the GU and come back in late summer on the Thames from Oxford. I'd just like to know what I need to buy before I set off.

I believe that everything you say is correct, you don't need to have VHF or lights and as a privately owned boat there are no other special conditions. 42 horsepower is plenty.

Don't forget that a life vest doesn't work if you don't wear it, and an anchor doesn't work if it isn't attached.

Enjoy the trip

Note also that a lifejacket doesn't work if you put your coat on top of it. (I did this briefly at the weekend, before noticing something was not quite right).

More seriously, this site contains a number of useful links, and is up to date (if not then just say so and the owners will fix it).

http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/

The key thing to look out for is the entrance to Brentford Dock marina, on the left just before Brentford Creek, in the middle of an estate of 1960s flats. You should start turning before you can see up the Creek.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a tip - use GOOGLE STREETVIEW to go up/down the Thames to memorise where the 120 degree Brentford turn is.

Yes StreetView DOES do the Thames navigation middle channel up that way. Look for the stainless steel "artwork" on the lhs bank. That's your marker.

Enjoys the transit, I love doing it. If you go under Kew Bridge you have f*cked up.

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Here's a tip - use GOOGLE STREETVIEW to go up/down the Thames to memorise where the 120 degree Brentford turn is.

Yes StreetView DOES do the Thames navigation middle channel up that way. Look for the stainless steel "artwork" on the lhs bank. That's your marker.

Enjoys the transit, I love doing it. If you go under Kew Bridge you have f*cked up.

Here you. You should start to turn when you get to Brentford Dock Marina - on the left in this photo. Do not wait until you can see up the creek to Thames Lock, Brentford - you'll have left it too late. 

You can see the "artwork" between the tower block and  the big tree. The artwork is on the right hand (ie downstream) bank of the creek.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4817263,-0.3003063,3a,75y,1.78h,74.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sODt9OU9OmK-AiKN-qLRcgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656