wall lights .. will these work?

tagulablue

Featured Posts

I have asked advice on 12v wall lights before and i 'think' i understood it was ok to use normal led but not sure if these would be ok because this mentiions needing earth wire. As per usual your advice would be gratefully received

9839-55 Acura Switched LED Wall Light _ The Lighting Superstore.htm

9839-55-acura-switched-led-wall-light-8164_002.jpg

4 minutes ago, tagulablue said:

Thanks gg..

they are but when i asked last time I thought everyone said i could use normal led or have them altered...where have I gone wrong

this is a GU10 240v bulb, you need to be looking at 12v fittings that take  MR16 or MR 11 bulbs, otherwise you will have to run 240v cable to the inverter (i think im right?)

8 hours ago, tagulablue said:

Thanks gg..

they are but when i asked last time I thought everyone said i could use normal led or have them altered...where have I gone wrong

GG sums it up perfectly with:

8 hours ago, GoodGurl said:

this is a GU10 240v bulb, you need to be looking at 12v fittings that take  MR16 or MR 11 bulbs

Some fittings have a 'mains to 12V' power supply which then feeds a 12V lamp. Some fittings - like the one you linked to - just feed the 230V to a GU10 fitting. You require the former type. 

So look for fittings that take MR11 or MR16 lamps. 

I just this minute discovered a whole range of adapters. Here is one to take GU10 to MR16: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KRPBW9U/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490638755&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gu10+adapter+mr16&dpPl=1&dpID=311ZVhfrPeL&ref=plSrch

So with these adaptors (there is just about anything to anything), as long as there is sufficient physical space you could use any lamp fitting with a bit of ingenuity and re-wiring. 

So OP could use the lamps he originally linked to. 

6 minutes ago, stegra said:

Might be necessary to swap the feeds around if you use flat LEDs because of the 'D' in LED.

Some LEDs are fitted with a bridge feeding them so are polarity independent. 

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

I just this minute discovered a whole range of adapters. Here is one to take GU10 to MR16: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KRPBW9U/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490638755&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gu10+adapter+mr16&dpPl=1&dpID=311ZVhfrPeL&ref=plSrch

So with these adaptors (there is just about anything to anything), as long as there is sufficient physical space you could use any lamp fitting with a bit of ingenuity and re-wiring. 

So OP could use the lamps he originally linked to. 

Some LEDs are fitted with a bridge feeding them so are polarity independent. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3 hours ago, luggsy said:

yes but see the above quote

On 3/27/2017 at 23:36, luggsy said:

Yes 12v, but on a boat with normal charging systems sometimes running up to 14.8 or 15volts they may not take the higher voltage, ideally look for bulbs with a voltage range of 5 to 30 volts to guard against premature failure.