Marina Fees and when it goes wrong

pads

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

To add to the melee, boaters who live in a marina, but where they don't have a defined mooring, ie marina operator can move boats around at any time, don't have to pay CT. 

Not quite correct.

If the boats ACTUALLY move (not just that the marina reserve the right to move them) then the marina pays a composite CT which will be apportioned between the number of residential moorers.

If the boats DO NOT move and the same mooring is always available to them, even when they return from a 'trip away', they will have to pay full council tax, and may actually have the value of the boat added to the value of the mooring (ie the boat now becomes a domestic property and not just a chattel).

It is very complex and I have posted the 'rules', guidelines and examples many times in the past - basically if the boat becomes 'domestic property' (requirements below) then it will become subject to full CT (normally band A)

3.2 The Rating (Caravan and Boats) Act 1996 amends Section 66(3) & (4) with effect from 1 April 1990 so as to clarify when a caravan pitch or a boat mooring comprises domestic property. A copy of the relevant sections of the Act is attached to this Practice Note as Appendix A.

Broadly, a caravan pitch or boat mooring is domestic property when either:

• is occupied by a caravan or boat that is a sole or main residence of an individual, and therefore treated as a dwelling; or
  • is an appurtenance enjoyed with other living accommodation (which is itself a dwelling) and is not a separate hereditament.
  • a constructed or established pitch or mooring becomes occupied by a boat or caravan used as a sole or main residence, then the pitch or mooring will constitute domestic property ie a dwelling from that date.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/03/2017 at 18:23, Jim Riley said:

It's a bad system if it's hard to negotiate. How can someone with limited understanding get needed help from the system set up to provide support for those in need. It shouldn't be that only those with intelligence, patience and grim determination get help. 

nah, man next door with alcoholic wife claimed she was disabled [kept falling down the stairs], then refused first flat he was offered, suddenly he was struck down himself, and now needed one stick,  not in his garden of course. After a lot of wrangling, he has got a new 2 bed flat with a lift, she is a lot better now, as there are no stairs, so is able to drive hm about, and take him on holiday, with only one wheelchair and one stick between them. 

And don't start me on lupus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange thing is, I was on crutches twice, both times three months, and no one offered me anything, oh ..... a  nurse found me in hospital corridor hand walking along the wall, and found me a wheelchair, . I had to launch myself on to the floor of the ambulance bus thing. What do you expect when your knee won't hold you up?

Best not to "tough it out" lol.

Its strange, perhaps cos I have had a bit of first aid, but there I was lying in a stream of icy water, at 1000ft elevation, in winter, and had to ask for a blanket, as I was in first stage hypothermia, the ambulance men wanted to take me home, they thought I was fine as I could stand up,  intermittently.

Edited by LadyG

On 07/07/2017 at 20:42, LadyG said:

nah, man next door with alcoholic wife claimed she was disabled [kept falling down the stairs], then refused first flat he was offered, suddenly he was struck down himself, and now needed one stick,  not in his garden of course. After a lot of wrangling, he has got a new 2 bed flat with a lift, she is a lot better now, as there are no stairs, so is able to drive hm about, and take him on holiday, with only one wheelchair and one stick between them. 

And don't start me on lupus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange thing is, I was on crutches twice, both times three months, and no one offered me anything, oh ..... a  nurse found me in hospital corridor hand walking along the wall, and found me a wheelchair, . I had to launch myself on to the floor of the ambulance bus thing. What do you expect when your knee won't hold you up?

Best not to "tough it out" lol.

Its strange, perhaps cos I have had a bit of first aid, but there I was lying in a stream of icy water, at 1000ft elevation, in winter, and had to ask for a blanket, as I was in first stage hypothermia, the ambulance men wanted to take me home, they thought I was fine as I could stand up,  intermittently.

So you were treated badly, and some people are chancers. That doesn't invalidate my statement. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It is a bad system, nobody denies that: basically the Govt wants to reduce benefit payments, and that means when it comes down to grass roots level that those who abuse the system are much more likely to fare better than those who don't know their way around.

Its not even abuse of the system by the applicant, the questions are framed in such a way as to tick certain boxes, nothing to do with real life situations. 

I did not say I was treated badly in those instances. I just said that unless you jump up and down, scream and shout, you have to ask, insistently if you need care.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It is a bad system, nobody denies that: basically the Govt wants to reduce benefit payments, and that means when it comes down to grass roots level that those who abuse the system are much more likely to fare better than those who don't know their way around.

Yes it is a perverse system, however if someone uses an Advocate who understands it and is persistent in helping people get what is due to them, it is still possible to get what they are entitled to without abusing the system.

3 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Yes it is a perverse system, however if someone uses an Advocate who understands it and is persistent in helping people get what is due to them, it is still possible to get what they are entitled to without abusing the system.

Correct: but only if one knows the system does one know to get an advocate or to appeal, nobody tells you, particularly not the one who turns you down, obviously.

I had some sort of medical review, by someone who should be ashamed of himself, his job was to overturn medical advice by a GP, and he was pretty good at it.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Correct: but only if one knows the system does one know to get an advocate or to appeal, nobody tells you, particularly not the one who turns you down, obviously.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of independent agencies who will advise, but yes this is not always the case.