Marina Fees and when it goes wrong

pads

Featured Posts

Some very strange folks on here: those who think all steel is the same and those who think its OK to avoid paying their taxes and those who think I can't understand a perfectly clear statement about moorings on the C&RT website. Just because I have not been up the GU on a Bolinder barge, it seems I know nothing about water

I suggest DAVE reads Animal Farm if he wants to discuss toilet content disosal ........ "two legs good" etc;

I wonder how many folks think that they need to know how to start a Grand Canal Company boat in order to go on the GU?

"The starting ritual involves pre-heating the hot bulb with a blow-lamp and hand pumping oil to the main bearings, big end, small end and piston and greasing several exposed lesser bearings"

Edited by LadyG

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

......they will buy a boat by surfing the internet and not actually looking at any.:lol:

I dont need to spend thousands of pounds visiting boats which are advertised, and which i have no intention of buying. They are on videos, they show photographs, there are descriptions, there are specifications. 

As to sucking the sap from members: they don't need to answer if they don't want to, in fact  I have made it clear that that one or more of the posters  should not respond as their posts are very irritating. But if  they do, they will not aways be ignored. 

And please dont lower the tone by use of crude words.

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Barge?  I think you would be more likely to be in a narrowboat.

Bollinder Barge , its called alliteration ..............

eg shut the shutter before you shudder.................

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I dont need to spend thousands of pounds visiting boats which are advertised, and which i have no intention of buying. They are on videos, they show photographs, there are descriptions, there are specifications. 

As to sucking the sap from members: they don't need to answer if they don't want to, in fact  I have made it clear that that one or more of the posters  should not respond as their posts are very irritating. But if  they do, they will not aways be ignored. 

And please dont lower the tone by use of crude words.

I suggest,and its just my opinion, that you save any goodwill you might have left for adverts of actual boats you intend to view.

ok,I will stop using crude words

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Bolliner Barge , its called alliteration ..............

eg shut the shutter before you shudder.................

Alliteration's only any use if it's not involved in talking rubbish.  Not a lot of good otherwise, it's just pretentious showing off (I'll ignore the spelling mistakes out of courtesy). But you do talk some drivel about those who live on boats.  I'm sorry I tried to post helpfully earlier, as it's obviously no good trying to confuse you with facts!

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I suggest,and its just my opinion, that you save any goodwill you might have left for adverts of actual boats you intend to buy.

its not you rusty, its Starcoaster who seems to be offended. when I offered opinion on matters of which I have some knowledge, I was shot down, so I am not sure what contributon Starcoaster wants me to make.

I dont think cc s are scroungers, what I suggested was that those who avoid paying taxes which they should be paying are taking advantage of facilities paid for by others.

I intend to cc, and I wont be paying CT,  but this is legal, and within the guidelines of the C&RT, I won't be a resident of any Council.

It does not mean I am scrounging, I will be paying a boat licence, to the C&RT to cover canal maintenance and water and rubbish removal etc.

Edited by LadyG

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

its not you rusty, its Starcoaster who seems to be offended. when I offered opinion on matters of which I have some knowledge, I was shot down

Which matters were they then?

• Greenie 1

On 2017-3-27 at 09:36, Mike the Boilerman said:

Those rents don't strike me as unreasonable. 

If they are more than the market will bear, the marina will suffer empty berths and have to reduce prices again. 

The UK operates a market economy which is rough on people sometimes. I still prefer it to the alternatives.

Ah, but later on you admit you don't actually pay annual residential marina fees [or CT],

A bit rough, I'd say so, my state pension would hardly cover one months rent, and nothing over for food. Maggies Market economy only works for those in full time  well paid employment, and there are millions who are not.

What are the alternatives that you think we should avoid?

Edited by LadyG

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ah, but later on you admit you don't actually pay annual residential marina fees [or CT],

A bit rough, I'd say so, my state pension would hardly cover one months rent, and nothing over for food. Maggies Market economy only works for those in full time  well paid employment, and there are millions who are not.

What are the alternatives that you think we should avoid?

Are you expecting a reply from mtb, bearing in mind your last comment. 

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

A typical snidey journalist trick, phrasing your comment to project the impression that previously I have denied paying residential marina fees, and only your amazing journalistic skills ferreted out the truth.

I 'admitted' nothing. I may have said I don't have a mooring, which its the case. I am a CCer*.

Ok I admit it, my other boat has a home mooring! I also 'admit' that I don't live on it. 

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would hope not, but I have previously asked him not to argue with me, lol. 

Maybe I was  too subtle :)

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Her points are not worth the effort of replying. I'll call some of her crap though, when I have the inclination.

• Greenie 1

As I understand it, folks who have live on board but are not registered as cc, should be on a residential mooring

From C&RT site:-

.... a mooring where I can live on my boat (residential mooring)

Moorings with formal planning consent for residential use are in relatively short supply as demand has vastly outstripped supply over recent years. Vacancies, when they become available, can attract a lot of interest and often sell for a lot of money. Residential moorings are offered around the country by a mix of private operators and navigation authorities. .........

I read that as saying that those who want to be resident should either be registered cc or be on a Residential mooring .

Marinas do have some sort of agreement, which seems to suggest that they will effectively collect CT , its not very clear

Residential mooring fees also make a provision at no additional charge, composite council tax charges where it is received from the local authority and paid by BWML,  pump outs, launderette tokens, Wi-Fi, storage box, designated parking*, and VAT. Value up to £650 per annum based on average usage.[from BWML website]

nor is this from the Government

http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/CouncilTaxManual/council_tax_man_pn/ct-man-pn7-app4.html 

I know that many marinas charge extra for liveaboards, based on extra demands on utilities.

Not all marinas want residents, some are quite strict in enforcement.

Not all have residential mooring, which presumably require pp.

Edited by LadyG

Many marinas allow "high intensity use" or some similar term, which is not fully residential, but allows you to spend a lot of time on your boat, and you only have to spend relatively short periods not on board, or take the boat outside the marina.

All perfectly legal and not residential use.

A defined residential mooring would probably have various benefits - power, water, pump-out etc, probably secure parking.  The first one I and many others lived on had none of these easily accessible, and the second one none at all, just being an ordinary farm mooring.  I can see no reason why people shouldn't live on their boats like that if they want to - it's rough and ready but cheap.  And it suits those of us who don't want regimentation or being stacked up in a marina.

On 27/03/2017 at 18:47, Mike Todd said:

I don't actually believe that 'they' have deliberately created a complex system solely in order to deter as many potential claimants as possible - I don't think 'they' are that clever - but it is hard to avoid the conclusion that this is exactly what has happened and that there are few in positions to change it with a will to correct the problems.

Coupled with the fact that there are things people could do to help themselves - but they are not allowed to.

For instance, my late elderly parents needed home visit social care, which was provided by the council, but charged to us because assets exceeded £20k (owning their bungalow) - but the point here is the nurse was paid for the time she spent in attendance at an hourly less than half we had to pay social services - and worse for her, extra time in attendance in excess of the time allotted for the basic task was not payable to her (unless she got time-sheets signed) - notwithstanding it made her run late for other appointments.

We asked the nurse if she could do it privately at a better rate for her.  But she could not because of 'rules' which basically meant she could not operate on her own (self employed) because she did not have the official qualifications demanded by social services - but nevertheless was more than qualified enough to do the job unsupervised as an employee.

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A defined residential mooring would probably have various benefits - power, water, pump-out etc, probably secure parking.  The first one I and many others lived on had none of these easily accessible, and the second one none at all, just being an ordinary farm mooring.  I can see no reason why people shouldn't live on their boats like that if they want to - it's rough and ready but cheap.  And it suits those of us who don't want regimentation or being stacked up in a marina.

In addition, a defined residential mooring has a postal address including postcode to which the Royal Mail are obliged to deliver. A facility much valued by those who have managed without for any length of time.

To add to the melee, boaters who live in a marina, but where they don't have a defined mooring, ie marina operator can move boats around at any time, don't have to pay CT.