Interior rust

Maq

Featured Posts

Upon removal of the old gas boiler and cupboard I uncovered a serious rust issue in the corner of my narrowboat! over one mm of steel was bulging off from the body the boat. I want to scrape it back, sand it and treat the metal with red oxide or similar buitman etc what course of action is recomended? am I potentially risking to sink if I scrape it back? there was obvious overplating on the outside in this area but am really concerned. photos attached.

imageedit_4_2638674501.jpg.6f0ba0561836a0c60d08b83289800d4a.jpg

IMG_8044.thumb.JPG.3f18093f30e18c650ca9e7500f38e2d3.JPGIMG_8045.thumb.JPG.cea71ff580364422dd5c15d9302d4212.JPG

boat.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Maq said:

Upon removal of the old gas boiler and cupboard I uncovered a serious rust issue in the corner of my narrowboat! over one mm of steel was bulging off from the body the boat. I want to scrape it back, sand it and treat the metal with red oxide or similar buitman etc what course of action is recomended? am I potentially risking to sink if I scrape it back? there was obvious overplating on the outside in this area but am really concerned. photos attached.

imageedit_4_2638674501.jpg.6f0ba0561836a0c60d08b83289800d4a.jpg

IMG_8044.thumb.JPG.3f18093f30e18c650ca9e7500f38e2d3.JPGIMG_8045.thumb.JPG.cea71ff580364422dd5c15d9302d4212.JPG

boat.jpeg

I think that is an early Harborough Marine hull. If so the swim, uxter and baseplate will be only 1/4'' or 6mm plate and the hull sides probably 4mm.

Actually I think that's quite bad rust, that piece of overplating in the pic is on the LHS, if it goes all round the counter to the other side and covers that area then its probably ok but I would try to have a look at the forward side of the bulkhead to make sure the rust hasn't crept through to the bit that's not overplated. If it has then a bit more plating needs to be done sharpish. If its ok there and not spread along that edge then the steel in the pic is not really doing anything, its the overplating that is structural. Personally I would leave it alone until you are sure its all safe and then chip all the bad stuff off and paint it. The thing is that the cause of this is probably rainwater pooling there and if there is a hole through the old steel then water will get to the back of the overplating and that is a Bad Thing so you need to fill that area with weld ? filler? anything black and sticky? and stop water getting at it.

Looking at those pictures I would be slightly concerned - it doesn't look like rainwater damage to me, nor does it look like the fallout from a leaky boiler.  The fact that the same area has been overplated on the outside and the likelihood of this being an very old boat with relatively thin steel, I reckon that could be rusted through from the outside.  If so the overplating may well have it covered but I'd be inclined to get a (boat) builder to look at it, and if the boat's in the water I wouldn't start hacking away at the rust.

Now it's had a chance to air a bit, is the rust damp/wet, or dry?

Assuming the boat is still in the water, damp/wet, where's it coming from?  Are some bits wetter?

Dry, then not such a hurry to fix.

Bod

I was always a bit blasé about knocking off rust. I knew, or thought I knew the arguments, "it always looks worse than it is; 1 mm of rust equates to 0.1 mm of steel, etc." That is until I knocked a hole in the rear of our butty.  I would be very careful.

On investigation 70% of the back end of our butty has had to be renewed.  It looked fine from the outside, but had rotted from the inside where leaks and condensation behind the lining had done their worst over the years.

20170225_120830.jpg

Edited by koukouvagia
needed to an an accent on blasé